2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

I thought we had a thread for this already but couldn't find it... :shifty: Anyhoo - the website's been up for a while and today's post has unearthed the above official invite to announce that ticket sales will be opening on May 6th :laugh:

The website's been updated with more Palace Hotel info since this was last up for discussion (maybe it was in the old 2012 con thread? :think: ) and apparently they've negotiated to fill virtually the entire hotel (except for some rooms on a standing reservation contract with international flight crew) and alternative discounted packages for the nearby Holiday Inn Express for any overspill (as the Palace doesn't hold as many people as the Birmingham Hilton did) - rooms are therefore on a first come first served basis and when they're gone they're gone.

Since they first opened up the website they seem to have been doing some hard negotiation with the Palace and the facilities (especially the bars and cafes) sound like they will be an improvement on the Hilton and for us mobility impaired there seems to be a lot more consideration, even though the hotel's Victorian and 'quirky' :p I think this certainly sounds like a better venue so far as aesthetics goes as it looks the part of 'steampunk' AM :laugh:

Apr 8, 2013
Madrid
As soon as I can afford it I'll be booking tickets hopefully it'll be before the palace is booked out but probably won't be able to book till August!:(

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
The price goes up (only by £4) on 1st July - look up the ticket info page. Also check out terms and conditions for the supporting/reserved membership ticket (£25)

DWCon website said:
Supporting membership includes subscription to all electronic or paper updates prior to the event, but not attendance at the event. Supporting membership may be converted to full membership at any time at the applicable rate (full or concessionary) on the initial date of purchase. Think of it as a means of reserving a place if you are not sure if you will be able to attend.

Apr 8, 2013
Madrid
Even the £25 is beyond my budget till I get back to the uk, where ill have a decent amount of work I'm not too worried about the £4 increase to be honest. It's just a matter of being in the venue in which it's being held.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Finally found the guest capacity for the Palace Hotel - they have 275 bedrooms so conservatively could sleep 400+ people allowing for single occupancies - they do have family rooms too so it could be a little more.

Could be room shares might be more popular this time around unless Dotsie's taking in temporary lodgers.... :p :shifty:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Unfortunately as I live on the other side of Liverpool now I won't be taking any lodgers. Shame! :p

I'll book a ticket but not the hotel. If I do decide to go, there's plenty of options that aren't that far.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: yeah - it's pretty central there and probably there are cheaper options than the 2 'official' hotels just as convenient, especially if all you need is a pillow to put your head down in between the endless round of drinking, events, drinking, auctions, drinking etc ;)

I've been looking at the normal bar/restaurant prices in the Palace - :eek: I hope they've nailed down a decent deal for us this time 'cos normally they look more like London prices with bugger all under a tenner if you want more than a sandwich... :shifty:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Booked! :laugh:

So I guess it's something of an industrial revolution theme then, to go with the next book. Planning my costume already! :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:p I'm planning to get in touch with my inner Van Quirm (it sounded too rude leaving the 'Van' out :oops: ) costume wise, but as the housemate's Badge Name is Emmett Ogg Nanny's making another appearance... in the bar on a nightly basis naturally :twisted: I may also have to indulge my barbarian leanings a little although my diploma in welding may have to be brushed up a bit :laugh:

Apr 8, 2013
Madrid
Assuming tickets will still be available in late July / early August it'll be my first dw con, although I did go to dragoncon and a gencon in my uni RPG days. No idea what to do about costuming though, may have to find some good steam punk and gothic victoriana to read for inspiration, although may try for a Leonard of quirm costume, hmmmm.

User Menu

Newsletter