A Slip of the Keyboard: Collected Non-Fiction

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hardbacks are more "authentic" than paperbacks? It's the same basic story ... *shrug* Sure, you may get a few more details on the cover illustration - but ...

I certainly hope I don't have to move again. I have way too many books as it is. Ah, the perils of being a bibliophile. (Speaking of which - ah, the perils of using a word like "bibliophile" in mixed company without getting strange looks!) ;)

But I don't mind strange looks. If I went around minding all the time, I wouldn't be a bibliophile. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
having moved house far too many times for my liking I now have a different view on what stuff I keep and in what format... hardbacks whilst lovely and "authentic" take up too much space for me and are heavy to move/store etc...
Absolutely the case with me too. I have just a few signed copies, the rest went to charity shops. For me, my Kindle was the gift of space :mrgreen:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Last time I moved, I got rid of some non-Pratchett hardbacks and replaced them with paperbacks, but since then some publishers aren't producing the small paperbacks anyway. Instead, they're using "trade paper" size, which are the same size as hardbacks, only lacking the protective (and heavy) hard cover. So the space saving is less than it used to be anyway.

Ponderstibbons

Lance-Constable
Sep 5, 2023
Fife
I am currently halfway through A Slip of the Keyboard and I must say it is thoroughly enjoyable: funny and poignant in equal measure.

Having popped into the London Book Fair last week and seen all the hopeful-authors doing the rounds looking or publishers and agents, and all the publishers looking for distributers, coming home to re-read Terry's chapters on attending book signings and selling rights (especially in the beginning in the US market) was enlightening!

For those who haven't read it yet (I can't be the only one who left it this long???) you can grab a copy from that online book seller named after a river here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slip-Keyboard-Collected-Non-fiction/dp/055216772X/
(Small print: Other retailers are available)

User Menu

Newsletter