Anyone here going to NADWcon?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I'm vacilating on it, Catch.

On the plus side, I'm was born in Wisconsin, went to UW-Madison, most of my family lives in Milwaukee, and I could stay with my cousin in Madison if I went.

On the minus side, I'll know no one at the convention, I've never been to one of these fan things before and would feel uncomfortable going alone, and I'm sure my wife and kids and Milwaukee cousins would think that I'm the biggest wanker in the world for going, especially since they would not be going. Plus the airfare and car rental costs.

So, I'm totally on the fence here. I think if I knew that more people from the forum were going I'd feel a little better, even though I've never met anyone from it in person.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Go for it. The first time I went to a Discworld convention the only person there whom I had spoken to before was Terry :rolleyes:

It's great fun, you meet lots of new people, some of whom are almost normal, and lets face it you all have a common subject matter to talk about so that initial awkwardness as to how to start a conversation doesn't arise.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The first time I went to something like this, I actually had apparently total strangers come up to me and say - hey, are you Tonyblack? :eek:

One of those people was actually someone from another board that had nothing to do with Pratchett. :laugh:

I think it's like a lot of things - if you don't do it you'll always wonder what it would have been like.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I'll be there raisindot and you'll sort of know me! :laugh: I went on my own to the one in AZ and that was my first con, so I totally understand how you feel. Everyone was fabulous and really made me comfortable. I had a great time! The costs are a real issue for me too. I'm driving instead of flying and thankfully I'm able to share a room with someone I know from another forum and met in person at the last con.

As for feeling like a wanker for going.... well, I'm still struggling with that one! :oops: :laugh: Hubby is very supportive, and the rest of my family doesn't bat an eye over it, but when I tell other people I just say I'm "meeting friends for a quick getaway."

archerinwood

Lance-Corporal
Mar 12, 2011
Leshp, somewhere under the sea
I have only been to one and that was last christmas in Wincanton. It seemed a bit daunting at first and I wasn't on the forums than so I didn't know anyone. The show was great fun and I am sure you could meet people from the forums as you are on one already.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Catch-up said:
Raisindot, Tina, any idea if you'll be there?
Even now, I'm still vacilating. Airfare to Milwaukee is surprisingly cheap and I could probably get a decent deal on a rental car. I just don't know if I have the get up and go to get up and go. Just the thought of even mentioning it to my SWMBO (who doesn't look very highly on my DW fandom already) and then have her mention where I'm going to our friends gives me the willies. Nor sure if I could face all the ribbing and strange expressions...and that's just from my own family!

:laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
raisindot said:
Catch-up said:
Raisindot, Tina, any idea if you'll be there?
Even now, I'm still vacilating. Airfare to Milwaukee is surprisingly cheap and I could probably get a decent deal on a rental car. I just don't know if I have the get up and go to get up and go. Just the thought of even mentioning it to my SWMBO (who doesn't look very highly on my DW fandom already) and then have her mention where I'm going to our friends gives me the willies. Nor sure if I could face all the ribbing and strange expressions...and that's just from my own family!

:laugh:
raisindot I'm sure that somewhere on the Con wesite info sheet that they would pick anyone up from a local airport which was Milwaukee or Madison, I have just cancelled my hotel booking as I can't make it now.
buggerit
so go and sink a pint for me. :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Raisindot I completely understand where you're coming from! I remember the first time I told hubby I planned on flying out of state to attend Tony and Sharlene's wedding. Let's just say he had a hard time processing it. :laugh: But, he got over it, had no issues with me going to the last con, and wouldn't let work mess with this year's schedule to make sure I can go to this con.

Now, telling other family members, that earned at least a brief look of confusion. Anyone else, I simply say I'm meeting friends. If I say more it's just that I'm going to an event for a best selling author where I'll get to hear readings, go to a signing, etc., and I stop there.

Anyway, if you decide to come let me know! You won't be left on your own or have a dull moment - promise!

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
It's a literature convention! Now you sound megabrainy. My family are just glad it's not Star Trek :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter