Asimov's Foundation TV adaption series

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I hope there are fewer explosions than exposition. And more showing than telling.

(I know "Show, don't tell" is a much-used phrase, but it refers to characters, not scenes - especially the Main Character(s). Briefly, it means "Don't tell us that a character is good/bad/doubtful/whatever. Show us through what he/she does, says, and thinks".

It sounds easy, but in practice it's not so easy - especially if there is more than one Main Character (MC)).

I have read "Foundations". Who is the MC here? What does he/she learn through the journey? A Main Character has to learn something and grow as a character, otherwise he's an SC (Supporting Character). ;) From what I've seen of this film, the Emperor (Lee Pace) seems like an SC, and Dr. Hari Seldon (Jared Harris) looks like an MC. Am I right? Does Hari learn anything or grow? Do any of his "acolytes"?

I also note the producer says that "Foundations" was a major influence on "Star Wars". I only hope there are fewer explosions here than in SW. I've noted that some sci-fi films (I'm looking at you especially, Star Trek films directed by J. J. Abrams and Justin Lin) have been big on explosions and special effects, but short on either characters or plot.

Regardless, this will hit the screens in a month's time or so. Is it general release, or does Apple have their own TV channel now (like Amazon)? =\ I hate the fact that big corporations (who have the money to make big-budget films like this) can then withhold them from people who want to watch them.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just digressing ... that's what I'm here for -- to ask questions and think out loud. =)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Er, did I say that I read "Foundation"? Whoops. o_O I meant to say that I have not read it. (I blame late nights and lack of coffee).

How does History itself grow and learn, then? *shrug* I understand (I think?) that Hari and his followers resurrect humanity following the fall of the Empire. Since many Empires have risen and fallen throughout history, I presume this is a reference to the fall of the Roman Empire (which reigned over more territory and more humanity for longer than any other empire)? I may be wrong; I'm almost sure I am. :) But I can't think of any empire, other than maybe China, that conquered more territory and held it for so long.

Further, what constitutes a "good" empire? One that does the most "good" for the greatest percentage of its citizens (however "good" is defined)? One that conquers the greatest amount of territory? One that keeps its people happy? *shrug* The question is too vague for an answer to be given.

Sorry if I'm digressing. I have many questions, obviously, but I don't pretend to know the answers. =( Any help would be welcome ... :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Read the books if you want to find out. No sense conjecturing. Without getting into details, The goal of Hari Seldon and the Foundation is to do a lot more than preserve the "essential" historical artifacts of the crumbling empire. If you're looking for a hint, google "psychohistory." One question I wonder is whether the series will incorporate the plots of the first three Foundation books Asimov wrote, or will he add elements from the later books in the series he wrote in the 70s and 80s that turned a lot of what happened in original trilogy on its head.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter