Battle of the Bands (or what are YOU doing at DWCon 2016?)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
OK guys - I think I found a few of us and WWD and Mad are in Metallurgica, as am I... :rolleyes: I'm fairly happy with that (especially the beer bits) and I believe the Harkins are also in that crew as well. :character-beavisbutthead:

Really, with getting Strangely Fascinating prepped etc, I'm probably not going to be doing much 'crewing' if at all, but just thought it would be nice to let folks know where I'm likely to be as I'm staying at Woodland Grange down the road, so you won't see me much before 10am or after 11pm. HOWEVER.. I will be v. easy to spot around the venue, as I'll be hiring a bright blue scooter for the duration, courtesy of Mastercard who've just upped my credit limit somewhat! :whistle: Just don't get in my way when I'm heading back from the bar.... :eek:

Am getting there on the Thursday afternoon this year, so will be at Chesford for the quiz and chips supper and probably talking to some of the Programme team/Tech about Strangely.

This year I will mostly be wearing my hair RED with maybe some blue skin on the Monday & a silver wig for the Gala dins :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Re: Battle of the Bands (or what are YOU doing at DWCon 2016

I staying at the Woodland as well Jan They are laying on a shuttle bus here are the times
• Fri 26th 9 am depart - 11:30 pm return
• Sat 27th 9 am depart - 11:30 pm return
• Sun 28th 9 am depart - 11:30 pm return
I may walk in the morning as I will probably be having breakie around 9am. :mrgreen:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com

I'm staying at the Ramada so will probably enjoy a walk in on the mornings along the river bank. Not sure about getting back but it shouldn't be too bad (especially if the shuttle stops there as well).

I'm also in Metallurgica as well but I don't often take part in the guild stuff.

Have only booked my hotel for Fri, Sat, & Sun this year so will be leaving after the closing ceremony.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

:laugh: I'm officially getting excited! I saw about the minibus Dug 'cos I've been talking to the mobility liaison at Woodland (who's also a fan and will be at the Con as well) as to whether they could take the scooter on it or not. He says it may now be a coach as there's so many potentially using it (especially at night). The scooter I've got is one of those that pull apart so I can get it in the car (with the back seat down), so if anyone wants a lift over to/back from Chesford on Thursday evening and on the Monday then let me know :laugh:

I'm with you on the band crew/guild Penners - last time felt pretty fraught until we got SF out of the way, so I'm going to pass on that side and go with the flow more this time (hence the scooter so I don't need to shanghai anyone into carrying round my stuff this time). :mrgreen:

I'll be having a blue spot badge again, so if someone wants to maskerade as my 'minder' in the queues, we can try the block seat reservation trick for the big events for the Boardies :twisted:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com

Jan Van Quirm said:
I'll be having a blue spot badge again, so if someone wants to maskerade as my 'minder' in the queues, we can try the block seat reservation trick for the big events for the Boardies :twisted:
Yes that has worked well in the past :laugh: I'm hoping this year to not end up with a blue dot myself unlike Manchester :rolleyes:

I've never got involved with the guilds/sects/whatevers so am unlikely to have much to do with them this year either. I'm commuting to the event this year, it's about a hour each way so will be there from Friday lunchtime and will leave at roughly 11pm each night and straight after the closing ceremony, this will also reduce my beer intake over the weekend which would probably be a good thing as well.

See you all soon (probably in the bar) :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

All joking aside, with being single and without a default chauffeur these days, I've developed a taste for Beck's Blue :eek: It's mostly all the taste and none of the down side of lager. I guess with being in charge of the scooter I'll be on that most of time at Chesford and have to leave the gin for nightcaps back at Woodland Grange, if I'm not hankering for my bed. :whistle:

Yesterday my Feegle-style tattoo transfers arrived and they didn't have a full pack of what I'd asked for, so they gave me another 'similar' pack to make up for it - bringing them all with me so lots of spares if anyone wants them (or I can leave them with Chaos...) :mrgreen:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

Really looking forward to it, it will be my first Con this year getting withdrawal symptoms :laugh: I normally leave the guild thing to the newbies or those that enjoy it,( running aboot like a daft eejit ) I do enough of that in the roundworld :mrgreen: any thoughts on where to go while the banquet is on.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com

The Queen and Castle is supposed to be very good but with prices to match
https://www.queenandcastlekenilworth.co.uk

cheaper alternative also in Kenilworth is The Clarendon Arms
http://www.clarendonarmspub.co.uk

I've only ever stopped for a pint in the afternoon in Kenilworth, never eaten there, so cannot personally vouch for the food

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England

And the 5 of us, Mad! Sorry for the late response. RL being a challenge and just got back from hols.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com

OK so that makes 8 of us assuming Jan is doing the Gala dinner which is what I have guessed from the reference to the silver wig
Toothy + 4
Dug
Penners
Me

Anyone else before I ring the pub and book? I'll give you until 8pm on Tuesday

Mar 5, 2013
Leeds, W Yorks
hnorwood.co.uk

It's a bit late I know, but could I join in?
I don't really know what's going on, but I'm assisting with the Morris sessions and there will be some sort of display before the Gala Dinner (so I might not be able to come anyway...)
(Second thoughts, leave me off - it'll only get complicated..)

PS for some reason I appear to have been attached to Ymuno..

PPS I'm also at the Ramada, so you'll probably see me wandering around looking bewildered, Penners!

User Menu

Newsletter