Bernard Cornwell

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Tonyblack said:
You don't get maps with Kindle. ;)

I love maps with stories and am constantly flipping back and forth to them while I'm reading.
Can i rub that fact in Bouncy's face :laugh:

Well i started A Dance with Dragons this morning and spent fifteen minutes on the maps at the start . They gave me three and it was great :laugh:

-justin-

Jan 8, 2012
I have been meaning to check out Bernard Cornwells' books lately. I found
Lords of The North at the library and noticed it was third in the Saxons series.
Do I need to read the previous two beforehand, or do they stand somewhat alone?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
-justin- said:
I have been meaning to check out Bernard Cornwells' books lately. I found
Lords of The North at the library and noticed it was third in the Saxons series.
Do I need to read the previous two beforehand, or do they stand somewhat alone?
I'd say read them in order. There's a lot going on in each book and a lot of characters. It's a great series, but one that really needs to be read in order. :)

There are various lists and maps that might aid your enjoyment of the series HERE.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
According to Amazon.co.uk the next Bernard Cornwell book will be called '1356'.

It is due for release in the UK on 27th September, but not until January 2013 in the US.

Looks like American fans will have to either wait or pay the shipping from the UK. Normally I'd suggest Amazon Canada, but the book isn't showing up there yet.

All I know about the book is that it is another in the Thomas of Hookton saga set during the Battle of Poitiers during the Hundred Years War.

There is no mention of this title on Bernard's website, so I can't confirm if this will be the actual title when published.

I'm looking forward to this one. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
And here's the cover for 1356 - at least for the UK version. The US version doesn't seem to be available yet. :)

If you are in the US and can't wait until January - you might want to try Amazon Canada. It's the same cover as the UK and much less in shipping. ;)

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
I wish he'd number them, I get confused, which I've read, how many there are, what order they're in... I mean I understand it with Sharpe: those were written out of sequence, but the Uhtred books seems to be following a linear progression, so why not just number them accordingly? Oh but they're good stuff, no doubt... but getting a little samey now. I wish he'd do a Civil War series - a new character following Cromwell's course as Sharpe followed Wellington's maybe...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
MongoGutman said:
I wish he'd number them, I get confused, which I've read, how many there are, what order they're in... I mean I understand it with Sharpe: those were written out of sequence, but the Uhtred books seems to be following a linear progression, so why not just number them accordingly? Oh but they're good stuff, no doubt... but getting a little samey now. I wish he'd do a Civil War series - a new character following Cromwell's course as Sharpe followed Wellington's maybe...
Here you go, Mongo:

1. The Last Kingdom (2004)
2. The Pale Horseman (2005)
3. The Lords of the North (2006)
4. Sword Song (2007)
5. The Burning Land (2009)
6. Death of Kings (2011)
7. The Pagan Lord (2013)

I'm currently reading The Pagan Lord and, as ever, thoroughly enjoying it. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Haven't bought Pagan Lord yet but finished Death of KIngs recently so will definitely be getting it soon. Great series

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter