Coronavirus Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 116

So I’m a Spider, So What? Manga volume 1 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

One of the isekai series I have enjoyed reading of late has been So I’m a Spider, So What? But how would I enjoy the manga adaptation? Let’s find out…

A Japanese classroom is destroyed in a mysterious incident. And one of the students within it wakes up, reincarnated as a monster spider on another world. Forced to fight for her life from the outset, this spider-girl has to try and find a way to survive in a lethal world, while lamenting the life she had lost…

A controversial part of this manga adaptation was how it adapts the series in chronological order, focusing entirely on Kumoko’s misadventures. And while this does have benefits, the problem is that Kumoko’s side of the plot has, well, not much plot, at least for the initial part of the story. This sadly brings down the quality of this volume significantly.

Yet, for all that, there is much to commend it. Kumoko’s hilarious and neurotic narration is translated very well to a comic format, and the art style of her spider form, manages to retain the endearing nature of her light novel and anime artwork, without sacrificing her monstrous features. The art style also works well for this, and clarifies a few sequences that I didn’t quite catch in the original novels.

Overall, while lacking significantly in plot, much to its detriment, the first manga volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? was an entertaining romp all the same. I’m looking forward to it progressing…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 117

Exile, by RA Salvatore.

I began my sojourn into the tales around Drizzt Do’urden relatively recently. The first such story, while fairly familiar compared to what I have read before, was nonetheless a good introduction to the story of this very different Drow. But how would the next novel in the series fare?

It has been ten years since Drizzt Do’urden fled his family and his people, disgusted by their decadence and depravity. However, the Drow have ensured he has no allies in the Underdark, save for a few whose lives he had touched. But his mother, the vicious Matron Malice Do’urden, knows that to bring her family back into her capricious goddess Lolth’s favour, Drizzt has to die. And Lolth has given one final chance to her: the resurrected corpse of Drizzt’s father, now little more than a brutal revenant known as a Zin-carla

Once again, I was perhaps expecting something a little more epic or deep, especially now that Drizzt is out from under his family’s aegis, but I was disappointed. It was more about a series of misadventures he had in the Underdark while Malice’s pursuit grew near, and I think Guenhwyvar’s refusal to help Drizzt at one point to be a little capricious of the supposedly loyal character. I know this is Drizzt before he truly made his name as an adventurer, but still, I felt a little let down.

That being said, Belwar the deep-gnome, a character introduced in the previous story, makes a good companion for Drizzt, as does Clacker. The story, despite a slight lack of plot, was nonetheless an enjoyable romp. Plus, it’s great to see Malice and Briza finally get their long-overdue comeuppance, and for Drizzt to get some long-needed closure where his father was concerned.

Overall, while not quite as superlative as I had hoped, Exile was a damned good romp. I’m looking forward to the next instalment…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 118

So I’m a Spider, So What? Manga volume 2 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

So, here I am, about to start on the second volume of the So I’m a Spider, So What? manga. But how would it fare? Let’s find out…

In her haste to flee from a group of human warriors, the Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a monster spider has fallen into a deep abyss. There, she finds herself confronted by more and more powerful foes. Now, her fight for survival has become truly difficult, if not impossible, and it’ll take all her skill and willpower just to stay alive…

Once more, the concentrating on adapting Kumoko’s side of the plot is a double-edged sword. There simply isn’t any real plot, just Kumoko bouncing from one peril to the next, and either fleeing or overcoming it. This does hamper the quality of this series significantly.

What keeps it afloat is, as always, Kumoko’s entertaining personality. Her inner monologue is, as always, often hilarious, though there are moments of real pathos as she looks back on her human life with regret. In addition, the art style, while very different from the light novels and anime, nonetheless works for it.

Overall, while still disappointingly low on plot, this volume of the manga adaptation of Kumoko’s misadventures is fun. I just want it to be more…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 119

Kingdom Hearts Ultimania: The Story Before Kingdom Hearts III, by Studio Bentstuff.

Ah, the Kingdom Hearts games, an official crossover between Disney and the Final Fantasy games that proved to be a success. Having read Ultimania books of the Final Fantasy games before, I decided to give this one covering the Kingdom Hearts games a go. But how well would it do?

The Kingdom Hearts Ultimania is a book that examines the story and characters of this epic game series. From its beginnings in the original Kingdom Hearts, all the way to Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance, this book analyses and showcases the events of the series. Meant for beginners and newcomers alike, it will enlighten fans old and new…

I say it often enough, but books like these are triumphs of style over substance, and this one is little exception. A lot of what’s in here, I’m already well aware of, being a fan of the series, and there’s not as much making-of material as in similar books, even when that is very little. A crying shame, as I thought discussing how such a crossover came about would be worthy of a book in of itself.

Still, the book is extremely well-presented, and there’s a lot of information, even for fans. Some small sidebars clarify elements of the plot with information even I didn’t know, even with games in the series I had played. What’s more, there’s some elucidation of the complicated timeline, as well as the equally complicated mythos of the series.

Overall, this was an enjoyable enough book. While not quite as good as it could have been, it’s a decent enough reference book for one of the classic gaming series of modern times…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 120

The Legend of Drizzt: The Halfing’s Gem, by Andrew Dabb, from the novel by RA Salvatore.

Once more, I delve into the world of Drizzt Do’urden, specifically the graphic novels of his adventures. This adaptation is from a much later book compared to my prior ones, one where Drizzt is an accepted member of an adventuring group. But how would I like it?

The Companions of the Hall have been scattered. Bruenor Battlehammer has seemingly fallen trying to defeat a dragon, while his adoptive daughter Catti-brie is recovering from being kidnapped by ruthless assassin Artemis Entreri. Said assassin has a greater prize, Regis the Halfing, along with the statuette of Drizzt Do’urden’s prized magical panther Guenhwyvar, and is sailing to Calimport, and to the court of Pasha Pook, the man whom Regis betrayed and fled. Now, Drizzt and Wulfgar must pursue Artemis to save their friend and take revenge. But will Drizzt allow himself to fall into darkness once more to avenge himself on Artemis, his archnemesis?

Okay, so, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. This story is clearly the second half of a greater story, with it continuing on from the previous story. While the recap at the beginning helps, some people would be left at sea. In addition, there’s still a certain lack of epicness in the story, with much of it focusing on Drizzt and Wulfgar’s pursuit of Artemis and Regis, and Catti-brie, at least at first, doesn’t show her capabilities.

Still, this story was a damn good romp. Each of the heroic characters are enjoyable, and not just the Drizzt I am already familiar with. From Bruenor’s escape from his apparent demise, to Wulfgar and Drizzt’s camaraderie, Regis’ cunning and Catti-brie finally showing off what she can do towards the end. Artemis is also an intriguing foe, portrayed as a dark mirror to Drizzt rather explicitly. Plus, the scene where a disguised Drizzt’s deception is revealed to the crew of a boat, only for them to accept him, is a heartening and heartwarming thing.

Overall, this was a fun sojourn into the adventures of Drizzt Do’urden and his comrades and family of choice. I just wish it was a touch better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 121

Doctor Who: The Crimson Horror, by Mark Gatiss.

Having read one of the new series novelisations of Doctor Who, I decided to read another, namely, Mark Gatiss’ The Crimson Horror. But how well would this one do? Let’s find out…

There are many cases in the casebook of Madam Vastra, Silurian detective of Victorian London, and her maid and lover Jenny Flint, and their Sontaran butler, Strax. And many intersect with the misadventures of the Time Lord known only as the Doctor. But a pair of cases will bring them together that will culminate in the investigation of Sweetville, and its mysterious matriarch, Mrs Gillyflower, and what links they have to mysterious crimson corpses…

I’ll be perfectly honest, this book didn’t do as well as I had hoped. It feels like Mark Gatiss tacked on another story to beef up the word count, and to make Gillyflower’s scheme seem like part of a greater conspiracy, which was unnecessary, irrelevant, and stinks of trying to set up a possible spinoff. I felt expanding on the characters from the televised episode would have been better, with Ada in particular being fertile grounds for expansion of her character. The end result is disjointed, which is a shame, as I know Gatiss can do better.

Where Gatiss truly shines is in his prose. He gives each character in their viewpoints a unique voice that sounds very much like them (particular kudos given to Jenny Flynt, who is the primary narrator, and an entire chapter narrated from the Eleventh Doctor’s point of view, both of which are spot-on), and it’s to his eternal credit that this helps keep the story engaging despite the disjointed parts. The conceit of deriving the story from diaries is a very Victorian one, and given Gatiss’ love of the Victorian era and its literature, it helps. The main story is, while somewhat thin, still an enjoyable, Moonraker-like romp.

Nonetheless, while enjoyable, I feel there is a lot of wasted potential in the novelisation of The Crimson Horror. A crying shame, really…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 122

Sojourn, by RA Salvatore.

I have read the first two books of RA Salvatore’s The Dark Elf trilogy, detailing the origins of Drizzt Do’urden. Now, I come to the third book. The previous books, while very enjoyable, had let me down somewhat with the lack of epicness, but would the third time be the charm?

Drizzt Do’urden may have emerged from the Underdark, but his trials and travails are only just beginning. He must survive and indeed find a place to call home in a world that fears his people, and with good reason. A series of encounters leaves a vicious trapper and bounty hunter, Roddy McGristle, with a grudge, and he will pursue the Drow to the ends of Faerun. Can Drizzt find any place willing to take him in? Or will he be forever an outcast, his good intentions not enough to overcome the fearsome reputation of the Drow?

I have to confess to being disappointed at the lack of, well, epic adventure once more. In addition, this feels in many ways like a rerun of the previous book, with Drizzt bouncing from one misadventure to another, with his resolve and values tested. Plus, it feels like Drizzt’s first encounters with Bruenor and his adopted daughter Catti-brie, important characters in later stories, are treated like afterthoughts, tacked onto the story to start their story arc.

However, for what it is, this story is still a very enjoyable one. The lack of epic nature and plot is more than made up for by Drizzt’s interactions with others, dealing with both prejudice and acceptance. While not as powerful as his previous opponents, Roddy McGristle more than makes up for it in sheer spite and persistence that would make a Drow proud, and Drizzt being mentored by the blind ranger Montolio DeBrouchee is all kinds of heartwarming.

Overall, this story, while not as epic or plot-filled as I had hoped, was an enjoyable character study. This, I feel, is where Drizzt’s story truly begins, and I can’t wait for more…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 123

So I’m a Spider, So What? volume 6 by Okina Baba.

Time for me to embark on yet another volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? But how well would this one do, especially after all the revelations of the previous volume? Let’s find out…

‘White’, the monster spider-turned-Arachne and formerly a Japanese schoolgirl called Hiiro Wakaba, has entered into an uneasy alliance with the Demon Lord Ariel. Accompanied by one of her fellow reincarnations, Sophia Keren, and her butler Merazophis, they venture forth, with Hiiro’s training regimen of the infant Sophia causing problems. But even as they head for demon territory, their problems are not over. Hiiro’s former Parallel Minds have been plotting in the shadows, while Ariel’s activities have drawn the attention of the powerful…

There’s certainly some elements of this story that don’t sit well with me. The Parallel Minds’ betrayal in particular, while foreshadowed slightly in the previous volumes and explained somewhat, seems to still be rather out of character. And Ronandt’s sideplot just seems to be there to add some unnecessary comedy and perspective on the parallel minds, seeming like a copy of Fluder Paradyne’s character arc in Overlord, only with less clothing.

However, for all that, there is much to commend this volume. One positive is that it is focusing entirely on the past timeline, showing how Ariel, Hiiro and Sophia got to the point they are at in the present timeline, and it’s doing so in a way that there’s some actual plot. We get hints of future events and alliances, as well as more about the state of the world. Plus, White loosening up while drunk and helping out the others is both funny and heartwarming.

Overall, this volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? was an immensely enjoyable entry into the series. I just hope it continues this way…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 124

The Crystal Shard, by RA Salvatore.

I had read the first three books of the Legend of Drizzt series by RA Salvatore, but these weren’t the first books featuring the Drow hero. In fact, he had made his debut in The Icewind Dale trilogy, with those other books written later to fill in his backstory. But how would the first book to feature Drizzt turn out for me?

Icewind Dale, a bleak and cold part of Faerun, and yet one where a momentous event is about to occur. The Ten Towns, a group of settlements based in the Icewind Dale, comes under attack by a group of barbarian tribes, united by a desire to pillage. After they are repulsed, one of their number, Wulfgar, is taken in as an indentured servant by the exiled dwarf Bruenor Battlehammer. Meanwhile, mediocre wizard Akar Kessel murders his master on the suggestion of other wizards, only to be abandoned and left to die on the icy wastes. But that may prove to be the undoing of the world, for Kessel stumbles across the powerful magical artifact Crenshinibon, a crystal shard forged by demonic forces, and it intends to use him as a means to wreak havoc on the realm…

I have to admit, it may be because this was the first to be written, but I was a little disappointed. It feels like a lot of fantasy cliches were crammed into this, with a lot of incident but a fairly standard plot. In addition, some characters are disappointingly underdeveloped, like Catti-brie, and even the main villain Kessel himself.

And yet, this book actually delivered the epic nature I wanted from these books. The action is all very exciting, as is the plot, in spite of the cliches and lack of character development, feeling very cinematic. Drizzt is enjoyable as always, and Regis the Halfling is an interesting anti-hero who manages to avoid being too cowardly to be likeable.

Overall, while not quite reaching the heights I wanted it to, The Crystal Shard was no great disappointment. Despite the cliches, it’s an enjoyable romp of a book in the saga of Drizzt Do’urden…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
So, it's that time again...

BOOK 125

The Sky Atlas, by Edward Brooke-Hitching.

Having read Edward Brooke-Hitching’s The Phantom Atlas, which was about errata and myths in cartography, I decided I wanted to look at more of his work. But how would I fare with The Sky Atlas, his look at the history of astronomy? Let’s find out…

The mapping of the skies has a long tradition, ever since humans looked up at the night sky. And with that mapping came a desire to understand the universe. Thus, The Sky Atlas is not merely the history of star charts and maps of the cosmos, but a history of astronomy itself…

One could easily discuss the history of astronomy from ancient times at length, so doing so so briefly is a little to this book’s detriment. It also feels like it concentrates a little too much on ancient astronomy and theories of the cosmos, when more of the actual genuine astronomy has happened within the past five centuries. In addition, you have half the book being charts and illustrations that no doubt you have seen elsewhere.

Still, for what it is, it’s still an excellent primer on the history of astronomy. There’s more than a few highlights in the rare illustrations, as well as some spotlights on some forgotten astronomers, particularly women. And it’s well-presented and very interesting.

Overall, The Sky Atlas was an enjoyable primer on the history and oddities of astronomy. Here’s hoping others by the same author are good…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 126

So I’m a Spider, So What? Manga volume 3 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

Once more, I’m reading the manga adaptation of So I’m a Spider, So What? But how well would this do? Let’s find out…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a spider monster on another world is being attacked by a horde of mutant monkeys. But even after beating them, her escape is the very definition of ‘out of the frying pan and into the fire’, when she stumbles across the lava-filled chambers of the next level of the labyrinth she is in. Can she survive and thrive?

Once more, one of the problems with this adaptation is the lack of plot. This is, admittedly, a symptom of the earlier volumes of the light novel as well, but it’s particularly prevalent here. Most of the volume is about Kumoko getting into and out of scrapes.

Still, the charm and comedy of the original light novel is still present, and it remains immensely entertaining despite of the shortcomings. The art style also works well with showing Kumoko’s misadventures with suitable humour. Plus, there’s a nice side-story showcasing the origins of Feirune.

Overall, while not a great volume, this volume of the So I’m a Spider, So What? manga does remain entertaining. I can only hope it picks up soon…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 127

The Hero Laughs While Walking the Path of Vengeance a Second Time volume 1 by Nero Kizuka.

Isekai is one of those genres that infests Japanese media of late. It has become a favourite genre of mine, but not all of them are good. But how would this particularly dark series, commonly abbreviated in Japanese to Nidome no Yuusha, work out?

Kaito Ukei thought travelling to another world would be a great adventure, but after being brutally betrayed and murdered after his defeat of the Demon Lord he had feelings for, he vows vengeance on his betrayers. Waking up shortly after being summoned, he wastes no time beginning his revenge. Recruiting the damaged beastman slave Minnalis to his cause, he walks a path of vengeance. But can he prevent himself from falling into complete darkness?

Let’s face it, the book doesn’t have much actual plot. While this is common for the first volumes of a light novel series, it doesn’t help, especially when the book is basically The Rising of the Shield Hero with a much darker take on the concept. And many of the acts that Kaito and Minnalis perpetrate, even to the deserving, will put many off.

Still, the story isn’t without redeeming elements. It’s a fairly and darkly novel take on the genre, and Kaito at least has a realisation of how deeply he is falling into darkness, intending to confine his revenge to the deserving. And it is rather cathartic to watch their vile victims get their comeuppance.

Overall, the first volume of this series was mildly enjoyable, if somewhat off-puttingly dark. Maybe the next volume will turn out better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 128

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 4 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

Time for the next volume of the So I’m a Spider, So What? manga. But how well would it do? Let’s find out…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a spider monster on another world continues her struggle to survive. And in the lava-filled depths of this part of the Great Elroe Labyrinth, it’s more of a struggle than ever. But even as she evens the odds with Parallel Minds, she stumbles across a disturbing truth: that the video game-like skills she has been acquiring are the work of a mysterious Administrator known only as ‘D’…

Unfortunately, the problems that plagued the prior volumes still plague this one. Namely, a lack of actual plot. This is admittedly due to the early volumes of the light novels lacking actual plot, at least in the Kumoko segments, but it’s still fairly egregious.

Still, the story, or what there is of it, is still immensely entertaining, due in no small part to Kumoko’s personality, something that’s compounded when she gains her Parallel Minds. The artwork is charming and fits the style of the series, and we’ve got some small movement on the plot, given the revelation of the Administrators. And, of course, we have the brief omake showcasing Feirune’s past.

Overall, while still not getting up to speed, this volume was entertaining enough. I just wish it’d pick up a little…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 129

Wicked- The Grimmerie: A Behind-the-Scenes look at the Hit Broadway Musical, by David Cote.

Years ago, I read Wicked, Gregory Maguire’s little deconstructive look at the Land of Oz and the Wicked Witch of the West. But I have never been able to watch the musical based on it. Still, would this book about the creation of the musical be the next best thing?

In the 90s, Gregory Maguire wrote Wicked, an alternative look at the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Soon, a movie was in the works, until it took a strange swerve into becoming a Broadway musical. This, then, is the story of how Wicked evolved from a deconstructive novel into an iconic musical…

Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. Books like this, as I have mentioned before, are triumphs of style over substance. And I had hoped for something a little more indepth, discussing more of the original novel, and more of the impact Wicked has had.

Still, there’s no denying that what there is is good. There’s plenty of interviews with the cast and crew, along with the original author of Wicked, Gregory Maguire, plus behind-the-scenes drawings and the like. Plus, an annotated synopsis of the story with extracts from the script, and even analysis of the characters and songs.

Overall, while not stellar, this making-of book was enjoyable. A great addition to my collection…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 130

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 5 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

Well, here I am once more reading the manga of So I’m a Spider, So What? I’ve got no pithy comments. So let’s get into it…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a monster spider on another world is beginning to get into the swing of her new life. But even as she considers a future on the surface, her most difficult battles are to come. First, she will face a small army of monsters, and then, she will face the Fire Dragon Rend, and that battle may prove her last…

Okay, so I’ve made the point before, and I’ll make it again. There’s not enough real plot in this volume, much like the previous ones, and while that is partly due to the lack of plot in this part of the series, it’s still a little annoying. There’s some hints the plot might finally be picking up, but I don’t know for sure.

Still, there are still the good points. Most of them boil down to Kumoko’s energetic and enthusiastic personality, as she comments and complains about her situation, as well as converses with her Parallel Minds. And the artwork works quite well for this as well, despite being a different style to the illustrations in the light novels.

Overall, this volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? was still somewhat disappointing. It was still entertaining regardless, though…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 131

The Golden Atlas, by Edward Brooke-Hitching.

Having read two books by Edward Brooke-Hitching recently, I was on my way to a third. The Golden Atlas is more about exploration than either astronomy and apocrypha. But would it still grab my interest?

Since humanity has wanted to know what lies beyond the horizon, exploration and cartography has been part of it. But what drives people to explore? What history lies around expeditions and mapmaking? This book tells the history of exploration…

I have to confess, after the first two books, this one was disappointing. This isn’t to say it is bad, but the history of exploration does not grab me as much as the history of mapmaking apocrypha or astronomy. It seems to be too-often variations of the same theme, exploring for the sake of greed or hunger for fame.

Still, for what it is, it’s a very well-presented book. And many of the stories and anecdotes within are interesting enough. I just had hoped for more.

While not quite at the same level as other books by Brooke-Hitching, The Golden Atlas is a fine enough history of exploration and cartography. I just wish it had a bit more…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 132

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 6 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

The first five volumes of the manga adaptation of So I’m a Spider, So What? has been disappointing so far. But would the sixth volume be as disappointing? Let’s find out…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a spider monster on another world may have vanquished her foes, but she has drawn attention from the mysterious Administrators. Her impending confrontation with a powerful armoured person is interrupted by another Administrator, the mysterious ‘D’, who freely admits that she is an evil deity, and the spider’s antics are entertaining to her. But worse is yet to come, for the spider will soon learn a terrible truth about the world, related to the Taboo skill she has been inadvertently raising…

The plot is still a bit thin on the ground, especially as it is mostly concentrating on Kumoko’s antics rather than the other reincarnated characters. That does drag this volume down somewhat, and I’m not convinced I like the redesign of Güliedistodiez either. It makes him come across as too-evil in appearance, and while he’s meant to be sinister and intimidating, I felt his original design was better.

Still, it feels like there’s a lot more plot here now. Not only do we have ‘D’ explaining something of what she did, but also the Taboo revelation about the state of the world Kumoko is stranded on. In addition, we finally have some more flashforwards, including Ariel’s meeting with her underlings, as well as Feirune and Shun discussing their life in an omake.

Overall, this volume of the So I’m a Spider, So What? manga is a marked improvement on prior volumes. I’m looking forward to the next ones…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 133

The Madman’s Library, by Edward Brooke-Hitching.

Having read a number of Edward Brooke-Hitching’s works before, I was intrigued by one about the strangest of books. The Madman’s Library appeals to a bibliophile like myself, but how would it perform? Let’s find out…

The history of books is filled with the strange, bizarre and repulsive. From a lawsuit of Satan against Jesus for trespassing, to books bound in actual human skin, from edible repair books for cars, to the longest and biggest books ever written and published, there are many weird and wonderful things to consider. This book, then, examines the apocrypha of books…

Let’s face it, more than a little of the subject matter is sure to repulse some people. Aside from the aforementioned books bound in human skin (something of a fad for a while shortly before the 20th Century, believe it or not), there’s the Qur’an that Saddam Hussein wrote with his own blood (something that is forbidden in Islam), and other oddities of the history of books. Plus, it mentions these various stories in passing, not going into detail, and while sometimes we should be grateful, other times, we are left wanting.

However, more than anything else, this seems like a celebration of the oddities and apocrypha of the history of books, publishing and writing, partly due to the author’s admitted history with antique books. The book is well-presented, and where the stories aren’t squicky or disturbing, they are generally quite interesting. Novels and books that were deliberate hoaxes, for example, or encrypted books and letters, or bestiaries and the like. To anyone with an inkling of interest of books and their history, this book should appeal.

The Madman’s Library is a wonderful, albeit imperfect, trip through the apocrypha of books, writing and publishing. Definitely worth a look…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 134

The Legend of Drizzt: Exile, by Andrew Dabb, from the novel by RA Salvatore.

So, once more, I come to the graphic novel adaptations of RA Salvatore’s books around Drizzt Do’urden. But how would the adaptation of the second chronological book go? Let’s find out…

It has been a decade since Drizzt Do’urden fled his family, and the vicious and vile Drow city of Menzoberranzan. His continued survival, however, means that his family’s fortunes are sinking ever-lower. As Drizzt tries to find a place to call home in the Underdark, his mother, Matron Malice, undertakes a desperate gamble to regain Lolth’s favour, and put an end to her prodigal child for once and for all…

Many of the problems with this story are problems I had with the original book. It doesn’t feel epic enough, mostly being Drizzt getting into and out of scrapes. There’s precious little plot than Drizzt finding his way in the world, a journey that would continue into the next story.

Still, it’s a damn good story all the same, thrilling and enjoyable. The artwork helps bring across the fantastic setting of the Forgotten Realms and the Underdark, as well as the action scenes. And we see Drizzt growing ever more into the hero he was destined to become.

Overall, this was a good adaptation of a good book. I’m hoping to read more of the misadventures of Drizzt Do’urden…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 135

So I’m a Spider, So What? volume 7 by Okina Baba.

So, here I come to the next volume of So I’m a Spider, So What?, specifically the light novels rather than the manga I had been binging. But how well would the light novels do? Let’s find out…

White, the reincarnation of the Japanese schoolgirl Hiiro Wakaba, has been travelling in the entourage of the Demon Lord Ariel, helping her fellow reincarnation Sophia Keren get stronger. But when the motley group stumble across some ancient ruins filled with a strange technology, they inadvertently unleash a massive UFO-like weapon that will cause the end of the world if it isn’t stopped. But that’s easier said than done, of course, for even with an alliance of Pontiff Dustin, Güliedistodiez, and even Potimas, who was the architect of said weapon, there is no guarantee of success. Especially with Potimas’ vendetta against Ariel and White, for even if he may not want the world to end, it doesn’t mean he won’t betray them…

After the heights of the previous couple of volumes, this one doesn’t really have much plot, mostly being a means to set up for the next stage of White’s journey. Instead, it’s mostly an extended battle scene that has very little true plot or character development. The switching viewpoints at times also gets somewhat irritating, considering it’s written from a first-person viewpoint.

That being said, there’s much to commend it. As noted before, the lack of scenes from the future part of the series actually helps somewhat, and it’s quite thrilling with high stakes. Not only that, but we finally get a bit more exposition as to the past of this world, and tantalising glimpses into other things. Not to mention the final twist involving White after the bomb is dealt with.

Overall, this volume of So I’m a Spider, So What?, while lacking somewhat in plot, made up for it in thrills, twists, and tantalising glimpses of backstory. I can’t wait for the next volume…

User Menu

Newsletter