Coronavirus Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 156

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 10 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

So, here I am, back to reading the manga version of So I’m a Spider, So What? But how would this volume do? Let’s find out…

The Japanese schoolgirl reincarnated as a monster spider has now got to confront the Queen Taratect that birthed her in this life. After a long and arduous battle, thanks to her Parallel Minds, she prevails. But even as she tries to lie low from the Demon Lord pursuing her for revenge, she stumbles across one of her reincarnated classmates, whose family is attacked by bandits. After that, the spider decides to keep an eye out for her classmate, but that has unintended consequences…

As noted before, this adaptation does lose something of the plot, particularly with its concentrating on the events of Kumoko’s misadventures. Like it or not, the prolepsis or future timeline did add something to the series. And as the story is centred around Kumoko, we don’t really get much in the way of other characters being developed.

Still, the plot is definitely thickening in this volume, with the Elves getting involved and having an unhealthy interest in one of the reincarnations. The humour is being laid on even more now, and as always, Kumoko’s narration is a major highlight. And the volume ends on a hell of a cliffhanger, an annoyance and a thrill both.

Overall, this volume of the manga of So I’m a Spider, So What? was pretty enjoyable. I want more, though…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 157

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 6, by Aneko Yusagi.

With the previous volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero, I read virtually everything adapted for the first anime season. The sixth volume, while it has some overlap, is where things have begun a trip into the unknown, with it being the first of a number of volumes being adapted for the second season. But how well would it do?

The events at Cal Mira have left Naofumi shaken. But if he thought things might be peaceful after the latest Wave, he is about to be disabused of such a notion. In an act of thoughtless cruelty, the Bow Hero, Itsuki, banishes the weakest member of his party, Rishia, causing her to attempt suicide. And as the other Cardinal Heroes begin training, each and every one of them shows signs of not only their egos getting in the way of cooperating, with only Naofumi trying. And with a new calamity on the horizon, it seems that most of the Cardinal Heroes may yet be a hindrance than a help…

There’s still not much plot to this one, seemingly content with setting things up for later volumes, as well as worldbuilding. Plus, the characters of the Cardinal Heroes are getting increasingly aggravating, cartoonishly so, and while I didn’t expect better of Motoyasu, idiot though he is, I expected a little better of Itsuki and much better of Ren. Plus, the Spirit Tortoise coming in and being beaten seems anticlimactic, even if the actual proper battle is in the next volume.

Still, the worldbuilding is quite excellent, building on what has gone on before. We also have Éclair putting Ren in his place, and Rishia being thrown a much-needed bone by Naofumi. And to be fair, the other three Heroes’ attitudes are merely building on what was already established in previous volumes.

Overall, this was a decent volume in a high-quality series. I just want it to be more so…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 158

The Devil’s Atlas, by Edward Brooke-Hitching.

Having read a number of Edward Brooke-Hitching’s books of apocrypha of cartography and literature, I knew I would enjoy his work. But how would The Devil’s Atlas do? Let’s find out…

Since time immemorial, humanity has thought about life, death, and what lies beyond the grave. Many cultures and religions have their afterlives, and have even described them. This book, then compiles the various afterlives of the world’s religions, and looks into them, from Heaven to Hell, and everything inbetween…

Okay, so, I have to confess to being a little disappointed. While there’s quite a few religions and their respective afterlives on display, it doesn’t feel comprehensive enough, with the only pre-Christianity afterlives being focused on being Greco-Roman and Norse. No Celtic or anything similar. And I felt that there was more that could have been written about this subject in general.

Still, while not as jam-packed as some prior books by the author, it still manages to be of interest, even to those with a lack of interest in theology and the afterlife. Plus, there’s some good, if at times garish and ghastly, illustrations of the various afterlives in various texts. And as an amusing coda, the book discusses the establishment of Zion, Illinois, and its potted history, and I genuinely wish that more of the book was devoted to similar attempts at an earthly paradise.

Overall, while not as good as I hoped, this book was an informative and interesting romp through the various disparate afterlives. I hope Brooke-Hitching writes more of interest…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 159

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 7, by Aneko Yusagi.

Well, here I am, continuing my run through The Rising of the Shield Hero. But how well would the latest volume perform? Let’s find out…

The Spirit Tortoise may be down for the count, but the battle is far from over. Naofumi’s search for his fellow Cardinal Heroes proves fruitless, and the mysterious woman who approached him before the crisis began warns of the danger yet to come. For she is Ost Horai, the embodiment of the Spirit Tortoise’s very soul, and not only is her true body still a danger, but she can no longer truly control it. For someone has usurped control from her, someone with a diabolical plan. Someone who has kidnapped the other Cardinal Heroes. Someone whom even Glass and her allies, sworn opponents of Naofumi, are willing to team up with him to stop…

Once more, this volume doesn’t have that much in the way of plot, with much of the book given over to an extended series of battles. And I would have liked a little more foreshadowing of Kyo and his link to Glass, L’Arc Berg and Therese in prior volumes. We did have a brief cameo in the previous volume, but that’s it.

That being said, this volume feels better. The stakes feel higher, and Kyo is actually a better villain, despite his somewhat two-dimensional nature, than many of the others done previously, feeling much like one of the summoned heroes turned bad. Plus, the twist of him being linked to Glass’ world, and Glass and her allies doing what they can to stop him, is a damn fine one.

Overall, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero raises the stakes, as well as promising much for later volumes. Here’s hoping it can deliver…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 160

Berserk Deluxe volume 10, by Kentaro Miura.

When Berserk creator Kentaro Miura died last year, it was a blow to the fantasy genre. Berserk, despite its violent action and squicky scenes, had, at the core of it, brilliant characters going through a dark but deep story that has inspired many. I have gone on hiatus with this series partly due to the omnibus releases having surpassed what I could get at the library, but now, I have come back to it, with this omnibus volume that includes the previously-reviewed volume 28. But how well would this go?

During a night lit by a full moon, Guts and Schierke are coming to terms with their respective losses, when a warning by the Skull Knight heralds the advent of a mysterious boy, and a swarm of monsters. Guts’ failure to control the Berserker Armour rouses concern in his allies, especially Serpico. Infiltrating Vritannis amongst a swarm of mercenaries who intend to fight the Kushans, Guts and his party have to deal with trouble both without and within, with Schierke coming to terms with her misanthropy with a little help from Sonia, and Farnese struggling to find her use to their group. When they need a ship to head to the Isle of Skellig, Farnese must make a deal with someone she fears and dreads: her autocratic father, Lord Federico do Vandimion…

Berserk, as always, will probably turn many people off with its reliance on transgressive themes, something I have mentioned in prior reviews. The squickier elements aren’t on display as much in this volume in particular, but the horrific violence most certainly is. It goes without saying that it is not for everyone.

But this volume manages to be one of the best ones, with Schierke coming to terms with both her misanthropy and her teacher’s death, Farnese growing as a person, and Serpico facing off against Guts to protect his half-sister. What’s more, we have more characters being introduced, like the cunning brother of Farnese, Magnifico, and his associate, Prince Roderick of Iith, who proves to be able fiancée material for Farnese and an able addition to Guts’ crew. Plus, the fight scenes are on-point, as always.

This omnibus volume of Berserk is one of the best. I really can’t wait for the next one…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 161

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 8, by Aneko Yusagi.

After the previous volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero, I looked forward to seeing what Glass’ world was like. But would I be disappointed? Let’s find out…

Pursuing Kyo into the world where Glass and her allies come from, Naofumi and his allies are separated thanks to Kyo’s trap. Stranded with only Rishia as an ally in a prison that brings his experience down to its lowest level, Naofumi soon meets another Japanese, summoned to Glass’ world to act as the Legendary Hero of the Hunting Weapon. Kizuna Kazayama enters into an uneasy alliance with Naofumi to escape, and soon, they will set out to find and save their allies. But with many in this world believing they have to wipe out the Legendary Heroes of another world to save their own, is this world worth saving?

After the prior volume, this one feels like a bit of a dip in quality. Part of it seems to be more due to a lack of focus, as the prior volume had a similar lack of plot, but there was the focus on beating the Spirit Tortoise keeping things tight. It feels like setting things up for the next volume, and the particular villain of this volume, nicknamed ‘Trash #2’ by Naofumi, is even more one-dimensional than most villains of this series, existing only to be killed.

Still, one good part of this story is the worldbuilding, with more about Glass’ world being explained, including what race she is. In addition, we have more insight into her past, and Kizuna is fun. And we have Raphtalia ending up even more badass than before. Not that she needed it, but she ends up more powerful, to say nothing of Glass and her companions now becoming better allies of Naofumi and his group.

Overall, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero was pretty good. Let’s hope the next one is better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 162

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable volume 1, by Hirohiki Araki.

Partway through reading the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, I learned I could read the fourth story arc, Diamond is Unbreakable. I had watched a movie adaptation of the first parts of this arc, and knew roughly how the story went. But how would the original manga turn out?

Morioh, a seemingly peaceful and pleasant Japanese town. Over a decade after Dio Brando was vanquished for once and for all, Jotaro Kujo visits Morioh, in part because his ailing grandfather Joseph Joestar had an affair, one that produced Josuke Higashitaka, and he needs to sort things out for the estate of Joseph. But as Jotaro warns his fellow Joestar, there’s a murderous Stand user in town, and Josuke, despite his temper where his pompadour is concerned and his potent Stand Shining Diamond, may not be up to facing it. And even then, there’s whoever gave the killer a Stand in the first place…

One of the annoying parts of the Stardust Crusaders arc is that it fell into a ‘monster of the week’ format, and Diamond is Unbreakable is looking to follow in its footsteps. There’s not much plot so far to speak of, moving from one foe to the next. Plus, to be perfectly honest, I have little sympathy for the Nijimura brothers, one an unthinking brute, and the other a cold-blooded murderer.

Still, the new characters of Koiichi and Josuke are brilliant, and the Nijimuras and Angelo are good tactical opponents with interesting Stands. In addition, I like how, compared to the epic stakes of Stardust Crusaders, this arc has a more domestic feel, where the stakes are lower. Some would consider that a bad thing, but I actually find it refreshing. Plus, Josuke as a hot-headed but more overtly gentle character than Jotaro makes a nice contrast.

Overall, while not as great as I had hoped, this new arc of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure is off to a decent enough start. Here’s hoping the next instalment is better…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 163

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 9, by Aneko Yusagi.

So, here I am, reading the next volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero. But how would the end of this particular arc play out? Let’s find out…

After defeating the crazed young man known as ‘Trash #2’, Naofumi and his allies begin preparations to go after Kyo. But with him deep in enemy territory, and war being threatened, it won’t be easy. And then, Kyo sends his late ally’s harem after Naofumi and the others, seeking revenge. Can Naofumi stop them, and stop Kyo?

I have to admit, this is one of the more disappointing volumes in the series. I don’t think highly of Yomogi or her comrades, and honestly, this particular arc isn’t resolved very satisfactorily in my opinion. It feels more than a little rushed.

Still, it’s not like the book is particularly bad. Indeed, seeing Kyo finally get his comeuppance makes it all the more worthwhile. In addition, we have not only Kizuna, Glass, and their comrades interacting, but we have the promise of them being allies later in the series.

Overall, this was a disappointing, but otherwise entertaining end to this arc of this series. I hope the next volume is better…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 164

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime volume 3 by Fuse.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime was one of those series I felt uncertain about, but which won me over with its charm and humour. Still, how would the third light novel work out for me? Let’s find out…

Rimuru Tempest is trying to consolidate the citizens of his makeshift country, but even after being recognised by King Gazel of the nearby Dwargon Kingdom, his troubles are far from over. The Demon Lord Clayman has noted that someone has thwarted one of his schemes, and he tries to inveigle others to help deal with it. Rimuru will have to deal with not only the machinations of Clayman, but Clayman’s senior as a Demon Lord, the powerful but childish Milim Nava…

Okay, so, there’s not exactly a surfeit of plot here, just more and more incidents woven together. Plus, I have to worry about who designed Milim Nava, given her apparent age, a common complaint with a lot of Japanese stuff. And one side-plot involved a group of adventurers seemed almost tangential to the plot as a whole, annoyingly.

That being said, the series still works with its charm and relatively light-hearted nature, with Rimuru winning his battles through diplomacy and hospitality as much as brute force and cunning. We see the real trials and travails of developing a country’s infrastructure, something often glossed over in stories like this. And for all my complaints about her character design, Milim is a fun character, and her associate, Clayman, is already shaping himself up to be an interesting villain for the series.

Overall, this volume of the series was an enjoyable one. I just hope it picks up somewhat soon…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 165

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 10, by Aneko Yusagi.

And now, here I am with the tenth volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero. With one story arc finally over, another begins, back in the world where it started. But how well would it do?

Naofumi, Raphtalia, Filo and Rishia have returned from Glass’ world, having defeated Kyo. But they need to start preparing for the next Guardian Beast. With the other three Cardinal Heroes absent, Naofumi focuses on rebuilding Raphtalia’s home village, Lurolona, and bringing back the enslaved inhabitants. He soon tracks down some of the inhabitants to Zeltoble, an infamously mercantile country run by merchants and mercenaries, and where everything is available for the right price. Naofumi and his allies are forced to fight to raise the funds for purchasing the now expensive slaves, and one of their opponents may very well be the enigmatic and strong warrior Nadia…

So, once more, there’s not much in the way of real plot here. Really, all it amounts to is Naofumi reconstructing Lurolona, as well as repopulating it and rescuing the slaves, as well as revealing new characters. It’s nice and all, but all it seems to be is setting things up for future plotlines.

That being said, what is there is entertaining and heartwarming. We have more about Keel, and we meet Nadia, a character with an unexpected link to Raphtalia’s past who was mentioned in prior volumes. And for all Naofumi’s ruthlessness at times, he shows himself to be truly invested in this world and its people.

Overall, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero did well. Not perfect by any means, but very enjoyable…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 166

NieR: Automata World Guide- City Ruins Report, by the Game Production Team.

The NieR games blend post-apocalyptic science fiction with dark and mature themes. I had recently begun playing these games, and so became interested in the spinoff media. But how would this book work out?

Millennia into the future, machines created by alien invaders have driven humanity off the surface of the Earth. The last hope of humanity are their android creations, with the elite being the YoRHa troops. Sent to Earth, they look for any way to stop the alien machine menace. This book, then, is a compilation of reports and the like into the various machines and androids, as well as events that happened…

I have to confess to being deeply disappointed by this book. In many ways, it’s a very bare-bones walkthrough of part of the game in some regards, livened up with commentary from the characters about some elements of the environment. I was expecting far more than I got.

Still, the presentation of the book is excellent, and the asides from the characters are, well, written in-character from what I remember of NieR: Automata. In addition, there’s some good insights into the attitudes of the characters to other characters and the settings, and Jun Eishima has written a pair of nice short stories from the game’s setting. I just wish it was better.

Overall, this book was something of a disappointment. Still, it wasn’t too bad…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 167

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 11, by Aneko Yusagi.

So, once more, I embark on a sojourn into The Rising of the Shield Hero. But how well would the next volume of the light novels turn out? Let’s find out…

Having won a major victory in Zeltoble, Naofumi starts bringing back demi-human slaves to Lurolona, including a pair of Hakuko or white tiger demi-humans, both of whom have a startling connection to the disbarred king’s past. But Naofumi’s troubles are far from over. Tracking down the other Cardinal Heroes leads to disturbing encounters not only with Motoyasu and Ren, but his old nemesis, the disinherited princess formerly known as Malty. And the mysterious Murder Pierrot, revealed to be a girl called S’yne Lokk, has asked to ally herself with Naofumi. And he may need all the help he can get, for a crazed Ren, as well as assassins from another world, have targeted Naofumi for death…

So, really, one of the most frustrating parts of this particular volume is how stupid Ren is. Even in his despair, he surely knows by now that trusting anything Malty says is a bad thing. And many parts of what Motoyasu does in this volume is cringey, even by his standards.

And yet, there is much to enjoy. We have the debut of Atla and Fohl Fayon, whose appearance seems set to bring the deposed king onto a path of redemption, shedding light onto his past. We also have Ren finally beginning his own path of redemption, as well as S’yne clarifying her origins, and a new enemy faction making themselves known. And it was a mostly-entertaining romp that seems to be setting stuff up for the future.

Overall, this volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero was damned good. Here’s hoping it stays that way…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 168

The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens of the Tower of London, by Christopher Skaife.

The lore and history of many great structures is of interest to me, so when I stumbled across this book about the ravens at the Tower of London, I thought I’d give it a go. But how would it go? Let’s find out…

Legend tells that, should the ravens of the Tower of London leave, calamity would befall Britain. And today, responsibility for the ravens at the Tower falls on Yeoman Warder Christopher Skaife. The Ravenmaster of the Tower has many tales to relate, about the life and death of the ravens, as well as other stories about the Tower of London…

I have to admit, I was left a little disappointed. This is, admittedly, because I felt there was so much more that could be said about the lore of ravens and the Tower of London. And that’s without going into many more anecdotes Skaife could have related, as I get the distinct impression there were more he could have said.

But Skaife’s conversational tone is perfect for the book. He does illustrate extremely well the nature of the ravens, imbuing them with the personalities they have in life, as well as relating anecdotes of their misadventures. And what lore and history is presented is of considerable interest, even to those only dabbling in it.

Overall, The Ravenmaster was an enjoyable enough read. It was a good insight into the job of the Yeoman Warders, and the ravens at the Tower…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 169

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 12, by Aneko Yusagi.

So, here I am reading another volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero. But how well would this latest volume turn out? Let’s find out…

Running a village isn’t easy, and Naofumi’s day-to-day life is dogged by unwanted suitors and drama, particularly that between a demi-human called Wyndia, and Ren. A dragon raised by Naofumi goes on the rampage when it swallows a fragment of the Demon Dragon Emperor, revealing Wyndia and Ren’s link. But worst is yet to come, for Itsuki has been found in Zeltoble, and he is acting as twisted as Ren is. And another enemy, lurking in the shadows, will strike at Raphtalia for a crime she was unaware of…

This is probably the most disappointing volume in this series that I have read. While they’re not exactly stellar plots, honestly, this one seems like it’s just tying up loose ends for the next story arc, as well as shoving a couple of huge fights into it to kill time. I personally found both major fights, with the Demon Dragon Emperor and against a crazed Itsuki, to be very tedious for the most part. And then there’s Atla and Sadeena’s cringey behaviour.

Still, even at its worst, this series is still very enjoyable. Wyndia’s introduction is a good one, as is the character of Ratotille. Naofumi seems to be growing into the role of protecting his people, and there is, of course, the final battle in this volume, where Raphtalia’s heritage is finally revealed, and I hope it’s a good omen for the next volume.

This volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero was something of a disappointment. But in the end, it was still an enjoyable work, with an interesting hint of the future story…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 170

Streams of Silver, by RA Salvatore.

So, here I am, embarking once more on The Legend of Drizzt. This seminal fantasy series revolving around renegade Drow Drizzt Do’urden and his allies has grabbed my interest before. But how would this volume do?

Bruenor Battlehammer has decided that the time is right to find the Mithral Hall, lost to his people for ages, and reclaim it. His friends Wulfgar, Drizzt, and Regis are helping him on what could be a fool’s errand. But Regis’ past is catching up with him: Bruenor’s adopted daughter Catti-Brie has an encounter with the ruthless mercenary assassin, Artemis Entreri, who intends to take Regis back to his employer. And then there’s the interest of malign wizards who believe Drizzt to still possess Crenshinibon, the Crystal Shard that caused them trouble before…

I’ll be honest, there’s quite a few things dissatisfactory with this book. It’s mostly a quest going from one battle to another, and said quest is basically a ripoff of The Hobbit, when you think about it, and it ends on something of a cliffhanger. And Catti-Brie spends much of this book as a damsel in distress, a far cry from her later characterisation, apparently.

Still, the story is enjoyable enough that even despite the above points, it grabs my interest and doesn’t let go. Catti-Brie does redeem herself a bit during the final chapters, and Regis’ past coming back to haunt him works well, as does Bruenor coming to terms with his monomania of reclaiming the Mithral Hall. But the highlight must be Artemis Entreri’s debut, as a human who is very Drow-like in nature, and thus a dark mirror to Drizzt, something explicitly stated in the story. He promises much for stories to come.

Overall, this book in The Legend of Drizzt was good enough. I wish there was more, but the story does go down well…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 171

Arifureta: From Commonplace to the World’s Strongest volume 2, by Ryo Shirakome.

Long ago, I read the first volume of Arifureta. It took me some time to get onto the second, due in some part to some elements of the first volume, but I decided to give it a go, as it was dark in the right way in many parts, as well as having really enjoyable worldbuilding. But would the second volume continue this?

Having emerged from the Orcus Labyrinth, Hajime and Yue soon encounter trouble in the form of Shea, a rabbit beastman who is determined to get their help. Hajime only agrees if he can get to the next Labyrinth left by the Liberators, to try and find the powerful magic he needs to get home. But Hajime’s harshness may prove harmful to her and her people, and there is of course the Reisen Labyrinth to overcome…

After the wonders of the worldbuilding in the first volume, this one…feels like a considerable letdown. Hajime’s ultra-harsh attitude does not endear him to me, nor does his relationship with Yue, as noted in my review of the first volume. His turning Shea’s people into savage killers doesn’t help either, and Shea, for the most part, is annoying.

However, the story still retains my interest. Hajime and Yue’s relationship thankfully takes a bit of a backseat, and there are still glimpses of his decency. In addition, the trolling nature of the Reisen Labyrinth is actually quite hilarious, as is the nature of Miledi Reisen herself when she makes an appearance at the end of the volume. And we still have some glimpses of what is happening to Hajime’s peers, which help give some much-needed variety to this volume.

Overall, this volume of Arifureta was a marked drop in quality compared to the first. I just hope it picks up for the next volume…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 172

The Rising of the Shield Hero Manga volume 1 by Aiya Kyu, from the light novels by Aneko Yusagi.

As any of you following this thread would be aware, I recently enjoyed the isekai novel series The Rising of the Shield Hero. During a lull in reading the books themselves, I thought I’d get started on the manga adaptation. But how well would it do?

Naofumi Iwatani, an unremarkable otaku, is summoned to another world with three other Japanese from parallel timelines. The four of them have been chosen as bearers of holy weapons, but Naofumi seems to have gotten the short end of the stick with the Shield. But his situation becomes worse when he is framed for rape by his companion, Myne. Left penniless, his reputation in tatters, Naofumi is unable to even go home. Filled with hatred, he nonetheless needs someone to fight on his behalf. But will his chosen slave, young demi-human Raphtalia, be his punching bag, or his salvation?

The original light novel was not for everyone, partly because of its subject matter, and partly because, due to his framing, Naofumi becomes somewhat unlikeable to some degree, and it certainly holds true here. Naofumi’s more harsher qualities are more pronounced here than the anime, being closer to the light novel, and that does detract somewhat. So too does the manga only adapting half of the first light novel, and thus not showing all the plot.

Still, despite this, I feel like the way Naofumi is drawn actually lends more to his emotions, and I like this more unstable portrayal. Hell, he even shows his kinder moments more often than the more cold and stoic anime rendition. The art style is also different to the anime and light novels, but in a good way that makes it distinct.

Overall, this is actually quite a good adaptation of an excellent book series. I hope to see more later…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 173

Arifureta: From Commonplace to the World’s Strongest volume 3, by Ryo Shirakome.

So, here I am, reading the next volume of Arifureta. The first volume was of good quality, marred by certain disturbing elements, while the second volume marked a distinct drop in quality. But would the third volume buck any downward trend?

Hajime Nagumo’s journey to conquer the Labyrinths of the Mavericks continues, but all too soon, his path will cross that of his former classmates. In the city of Fuhren, they encounter his teacher Miss Aiko and her escorts. But even after a fraught reunion, they have issues to deal with. A missing adventurer is one thing, but a brainwashed dragonman, or rather, woman, Tio Klaurus, is another, and once freed from her brainwashing, she opts to join Hajime. And then, there’s a classmate of Hajime’s gone rogue, not the one who tried to kill him, but a turncoat who has sold his soul to the demons threatening the land…

Well, the descent into cringey sex comedy continues after the second volume with the introduction of Tio Klaurus. The character herself isn’t a truly bad one, but many elements of her character are overly irritating, as are the other sex comedy elements. And it feels like the villain of this volume fell all too easily to Hajime’s reliance on superior firepower.

And yet, unlike the second volume, this one has a far superior story. While the worldbuilding isn’t there, Hajime is not only warming to Shea, but he’s beginning to become less cold to everyone else, including his teacher and classmates. He’s still a brutal pragmatist, but he shows that he’s managed to arrest his slide into the darkest of anti-heroic tendencies, igniting some hope for me for the future of this series.

Overall, this volume of Arifureta managed to reignite my enjoyment of the books. Hopefully, this will continue…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 174

The Rising of the Shield Hero Manga volume 2 by Aiya Kyu, from the light novels by Aneko Yusagi.

Having started with the manga adaptation of The Rising of the Shield Hero, I felt I wanted more. But would it prove to still maintain its high quality? Let’s find out…

Naofumi and Raphtalia have become powerful partners, but the Shield Hero is blind not only to the physical changes in his slave partner, but to her sincere loyalty to him. And with the next Wave fast approaching, Naofumi has a lot on his plate. But even if they survive the Wave, they may not survive the political scheming to ensure the Shield Hero is without any help or aid…

Once more, many of the flaws in this adaptation are flaws from the original work. Specifically, Naofumi’s darker characterisation, which can be off-putting to many. And given that this is a manga adaptation, it does streamline and simplify an already simple plot, ensuring it lacks a certain substance. I’m also not sure about the decision to have Raphtalia’s smile be so off-putting in the side-story at the end of the volume.

Still, this volume still has much to commend it, adding a few moments of Naofumi’s humanity, something the anime didn’t do as much at this point. In addition, the moment when Naofumi realises Raphtalia’s loyalty to him is done beautifully with a pair of splash pages showing the transition between her child self and her grown self. The art style in general is evocative of that for the light novels and anime, but has its own spin on things that keeps things fresh.

Overall, this was a good adaptation of a good series. A shame there isn’t more to it, but still, maybe later volumes have something more…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 175

Arifureta: From Commonplace to the World’s Strongest volume 4, by Ryo Shirakome.

So, once more, I’ve come back to Arifureta. Despite some controversial elements (to say the least), I found this series to be enjoyable on the whole. But how would the fourth volume, the last to be adapted for the first anime series, turn out?

Returning to Fuhren after putting paid to his crazed former classmate, Hajime Nagumo and his allies would be forgiven for thinking they have earned some peace. But when they stumble across a young aquatic beastman girl called Myu, it leads to them dismantling an entire slavery ring. But when they journey back to the capital, Hajime learns that his former classmates are in very deadly danger, thanks to an ambush by a demon. Will he try to save them, or will he let them rot?

Once more, there are many elements of Arifureta’s nature that aren’t really for everyone. Some, like Hajime’s relationship with Yue, are thankfully on the backburner, but others, like Hajime’s more callous elements, are more at the forefront. In addition, this story feels somewhat like two jammed together, with Myu’s introduction and Hajime reuniting with the rest of his classmates feeling a touch disjointed.

Yet this volume does have much to commend it. Hajime regains some more of his humanity through his interactions with Myu, and while his verbal evisceration of his former classmates is brutal, he still shows just enough humanity to care about some members. And Kouki finally getting taken down a peg or three by both Hajime and Shizuku is pretty satisfying, to say the least.

Overall, this is a great volume of a surprisingly enjoyable series. Hopefully, it can keep up the standard…

User Menu

Newsletter