Discworld Anthems

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Just wondering whatever happened to the A-M Fresh Start Club (started by Reg Shoe, back in Reaper Man IIRC). :) The FSC even had their own anthem, probably written by Reg, and probably some time after the events of RM. It goes like this:

National Anthem of the Fresh Start Club

Ankh-Morpork, Ankh-Morpork!
A name that stirs the blood!
Its streets, its towers, its palaces,
its strangely sticky mud!

Let not some wicked foreigner
thy noble mud besmirch!
And we will fight with tooth and nail
while we can scream and lurch!

(See, here, about 12:00. The game was released in 1996, and Reaper Man was released in 1991. So yes, Reg had some time to think it over). ;)

(All right, so clearly We Can Rule You Wholesale sounds better. But then, it is sung by Claire Rutter, and she does have the backing of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. So there's that. And yes, I am indeed a scallywag). ;)

Naturally, I can't speaking of Discworld anthems without mentioning this, especially the songs by Steeleye Span (who I'd never heard before, but I certainly have now - and they are amazing). :)

So, just to come back to my question (via a circuitous and highly musical route)... whatever happened to the Fresh Start Club? Did Reg stop holding meetings when he joined the Watch, or...? ;)

I don't think we ever found out...

Arthur and Doreen Wilkins, er, sorry, the Count and Countess Notfaroutue also joined the Uberwald League of Temperance (see Reformed Vamypre's Diary, 2003, and a brief appearance in Thud!). We don't hear much about the other members of the Fresh Start Club and where they ended up.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. One or two things are definite (e.g. that Reg Shoe is now a Watch Constable). What about Schleppel the Bogeyman and Ixolite the Banshee - do we know what's happened to them?

I suppose they were simply "joke characters", and there's only so much you can do with them.

User Menu

Newsletter