Discworld hardback reprints

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
O

Old member 72224

Greetings all.

Colin Smythe republished this year both The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic in a hardback edition, replicating the original artwork and design of the originals.

Does anyone here know if other Discworld novels are scheduled to receive the same treatment?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've not heard anything.

It was always a bit frustrating, as a collector, when the style of the books changed, just as you were getting the set in the same format. I know a lot of people got really frustrated when collecting (for example) the "Black Covered" books, only to find that Eric wasn't available in that format, because it was released by a different publisher. I don't consider myself a collector, as such, but I do have various copies in paper and/or hardback, and even most of the books on Kindle though.

O

Old member 72224

I've not heard anything.

It was always a bit frustrating, as a collector, when the style of the books changed, just as you were getting the set in the same format. I know a lot of people got really frustrated when collecting (for example) the "Black Covered" books, only to find that Eric wasn't available in that format, because it was released by a different publisher. I don't consider myself a collector, as such, but I do have various copies in paper and/or hardback, and even most of the books on Kindle though.
Yes, I know what you mean. I loved the Josh Kirby paperbacks (how my collection started) and was heartbroken when he passed. I never wanted to finish collecting the paperbacks after that point so switched to hardbacks.

I must say though, I do love the new hardbacks that have been issued. There is finally a whole set in the same style (the last couple are released in September I believe), and it includes Eric as well!

O

Old member 72224

Wait, he what? :oops:Where? How? When? What? I'm confused. I haven't seen it anywhere. :eek:

Details, please :)
Haha, I know, I freaked out when I saw them!

https://colinsmythe.co.uk/product/colour-of-magic/

https://colinsmythe.co.uk/product/the-light-fantastic/

I emailed Mr. Smythe asking if there were plans for any others to be republished. Unfortunately he only has the rights to publish the first two novels in hardback, and given the popularity of the new hardbacks that were recently issued (and still running), any other replica republishing is pretty slim which is such a shame.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Terry sometimes joked that there were no copies of the original, original copy. He was proven wrong time and time again when copies turned up for signing. :laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I haven't seen that cover before either, but I like it very much. :) It doesn't give much away! =D

I like this quote from the Colour of Magic page:

‘Pratchett is very good indeed’ – Standard
Talk about underselling Pterry! ;)

Now I'm curious. Will either of these books be in the usual places like Book Depository, Amazon, Waterstones etc.?

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Further info.
It was published in the States, (jacket illus. Alan Smith), c.506 copies Thursday 24 November 1983 (0-86140-089-5)
Copyright page info: notice it does say FACSIMILE because it's my copy, I had an original in my hand last one left on the shelve but I put it back because of a small tear in the bottom of the dust jacket (little did I know) :-0.

1626304165806.jpeg

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I only got to have one book signed - "Night Watch". When I first read it, it seemed to me (among other things) like a bittersweet look back at "Leggy" Gaskin, who gets killed at the beginning of G!G! . So when it came time to sign, I asked Terry if it could be signed "In memory of Leggy Gaskin" -- which he did, along with one of his usual humourous non-sequitur.

"You had to have been there...!" :mrgreen:

User Menu

Newsletter