Discworld Noir?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

foolsgold

Lance-Constable
May 22, 2010
Shropshire
Tonyblack said:
I've actually got it - trouble is, it won't work on my PC. :(
I looked on amazon for it, and someone said that it would only work on Windows 95 and 98 but someone has commented saying if you use a programme called 'scummvm' (google it) it will work, apparently you can use it in order to play old games. Hopefully that will help :)

foolsgold

Lance-Constable
May 22, 2010
Shropshire
Quark said:
Never played it before, but as abandonware it is available here. 8) Looks rather good, but I've got more games than time nowadays so it might be a while before I can test it.
Yes, I used to have it when I was about 7 and I looked it up on youtube the other day and someone has posted some videos of it, so because of that (and other factors), I decided to buy the first book

sweet oblivion

Lance-Constable
Jun 9, 2010
Manchester, UK
have this lying around somewhere. I periodically try and get it to run on whatever computer I happen to have at the time but never got it to work.

I just put it down to female-computer ineptitude :p

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
sweet oblivion said:
have this lying around somewhere. I periodically try and get it to run on whatever computer I happen to have at the time but never got it to work.

I just put it down to female-computer ineptitude :p
Welcome, sweet oblivion! :laugh:

It's not you - this was only made to run on older versions of Windows. It will work on newer ones, but you have to download programes to make it work.

Moon Dragon

Lance-Constable
Jun 20, 2010
I have this game and LOVED it when it came out and I played it the first time :-D. I don't know if this'll help, but most older games can work if you use DOS box.

I have a friend who has a site called the Sierra Help Page. Despite the name I'm pretty sure he also helps with other games. He is really good at getting older games to work on newer computers. If he doesn't know how to fix something already, he is usually quick to finding it out.

fords

Constable
Jun 23, 2010
East Lothian, Scotland
I'm not sure about Vista, but Windows 7 has a compatbility mode where you can run a game using the settings of an older OS (it's the only way I can play Civ 4 without my PC throwing a tantrum). There's also the Virtual Machine, where you can run an XP emulator.

SimStars13

Lance-Corporal
Apr 25, 2010
England
I play it through an emulator on my mac - I think it's windows xp, which has computability modes. All you need to do (I think) is fiddle around with lower colour settings and the right computability mode to make it work.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
It will run for a while on my old XP but eventually hits a problem as it doesn't seem to remember all the places I've been and people I've talked to. I got stuck so eventually looked up how to progress on a bulletin board only to find that I had already done everything I needed to do it's just that the game didn't recognise this :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter