Discworld Voices :)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
In the game "Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!?", there is a very funny Djelibeybian character called "Uri Djeller". (See video here, about 5:10).

The funniest thing about him, his voice reminds me ever so much of the character Bluebottle from "The Goon Show", created and performed by Peter Sellers. But Uri Djeller was voiced by Nigel Planer. (See here for a sample of Bluebottle's voice). ;)

Even the words that Uri Djeller uses - "Flashee! Blam! Sploonge!" - in 6:08 of the above video are reminiscent of Bluebottle's constant mangling of words. In one episode of "The Goon Show" he refers to sausages as "naughty-type sausinges". He often refers to Neddie Seagoon as "My capitaine!", and also often gets killed, whereupon he complains about being "deaded" ... and so on. ;)

So here's my question: did Nigel base his performance on Peter's? What do you think, eh? :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I wouldn't be at all surprised. The Goon Show was a staple to us Radio listeners in the past, when TV wasn't on all day and there were only two channels.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sure. I remember a Spike Milligan anecdote about John Cleese complaining that the Goons did it first.

I think the voice of another character in the game is based on The Famous Eccles. "Fine, fine, fine..." :mrgreen:

Speaking of which: is The Goon Show still on radio somewhere? I'd hate to see it fade away into obscurity. =(

User Menu

Newsletter