Does Ting Ling=Japan?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Burp1

Aug 27, 2019

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi Burp1 and welcome to the site.

In previous discussions here, we've tended to think that it's an amalgam of various places in the Far East. I believe I'm right in saying that Japanese words all either end in a vowel sound or an N sound, so that might rule out Japan.

The thing I would say about Wikis created by fans, is that they may still be up for editing in the way that Wikis generally are. Without Sir Terry's final deciding consent, which of course we cannot get, it's difficult to know an official answer to your question. It could be a bit of both!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Welcome to the forum, Burp1.

Yep, Tony's post is right. Just in the same way as the Agatean Empire itself contains elements of both Japan and China. (I won't mention them, so as not to spoil anyone who hasn't read "Interesting Times" yet). ;)

Tony, what about the L-Space Wikia? That one always struck me as relatively accurate. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The L-Space Wiki was also created by fans. The history of it goes way back to early internet bulletin boards. Terry used to take an active precipitation in it in the early days and would sometimes confirm fan theories. I understand that he moved away from it after some fans insisted that he was "wrong" about things he'd written.

The Annotations are interesting, but not necessarily canon. There are a lot of fan theories in there that Terry has neither confirmed or denied. Also a lot of the later books have no annotations at all. I have, in the past, posted suggestions for consideration to the annotations and never received any notification of my posts.

There seems to be an awful lot of things in the books that Terry didn't go into much detail about when questioned. It wasn't that he was standoffish or that he wouldn't answer questions, it's just that he managed to avoid giving answers. :laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, I remember the old internet bulletin boards. When I first read the books, I then had a look at the annotations at the L-Space wiki and thought, "Ahh ... so that's what I missed." :) I didn't always cotton on to what Terry was getting at.

As for fans insisting that he was "wrong" about things he'd written ... sigh. Why? Give the man his due: they're his books. Saying he's "wrong" isn't helpful in the least, and just makes people look conceited and arrogant. I'm not surprised he moved away from it, but I think it's a great pity. :(

By the way, speaking of Discworld locations corresponding to real-world ones: does Llamedos have Welsh characteristics? It certainly seemed that way after "Soul Music", but in "Rising Steam", Llamedos is described as "sensibly dwarfish". Obviously Wales has no dwarfs, but is there Welsh folklore or legends about dwarfs? Also, Llamedos's economy in RS is described to centre around mining, fishing and logging. Is that the case for Wales, too?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
In regard to Llamedos - yes it very much seems to have typically Welsh characteristics. The name itself is a reference to Dylan Thomas's created Welsh town, Llareggrub, from his work, Under Milk Wood. Spelled backward it reads: Bugger-all. Llamedos backward is: Sod 'em all. Wales may not have dwarfs, but it was famous for mining. And the Eisteddfod mentioned in Soul Music, is very much a Welsh traditional music and the arts competition.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
As for fans insisting that he was "wrong" about things he'd written ... sigh. Why? Give the man his due: they're his books. Saying he's "wrong" isn't helpful in the least, and just makes people look conceited and arrogant. I'm not surprised he moved away from it, but I think it's a great pity. :(
I actually think this is quite funny - I remember Terry saying at con when asked about the roundworld equivalent of Lancre that he'd had Lancashire in mind, but this made some people very uncomfortable. No one would overtly disagree with him, but there was a lot of 'well in my mind it sounds French' and the like. Love it!

I don't think Terry would have been offended, or angry. As a keen observer of human nature, I think he would have been fascinated by peoples reactions, and also unwilling to spoil people's 'mind versions' by contributing more 'facts'. That doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't think they were tools though :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Agree about the welsh thing, cos of the double L at the beginning of the name, the mining and the music.

User Menu

Newsletter