DWcon 2010

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Oh I'm so glad and I'll be able to meet you! Yes, it isn't cheap that's for sure but worth every cent and you WILL meet Terry and have a chance to sit down and talk. Sign up for all the klatches that you can so that you have a chance for a semi-private sit-down with him. They do a separate klatch for people flying from overseas.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
poohcarrot said:
What's a klatch?
Think fire side chat with about 10-12 people. they will post sign up sheets in a central area and it is first come first served.

At the USDWCon in Tempe I was in one with Bernard Pearson and most of the stamp forum people there. Was a lot of fun. You ask any question you want and they are obligated to answer, espc if you bring a Banananannanana Daqurie or a Bannnannaaanna with any alcohol in the vicinity Terry will be your BFF! :laugh:

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Yes the klatches are great (see coffee klatch) generally it's a pot of coffee and a small group of people. It's your chance to ask questions that you may not have a chance to ask due to Terry being surrounded a great deal of the time. Unless he is wearing his Silas T. Firefly badge and then you leave him alone.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Just booked the Hilton for 5 nights! Arriving a day early to get over jet lag.
I couldn't book before because I didn't realise there weren't meant to be gaps in the credit card number. :rolleyes:

Gloob of Thannook said:
Daily he dresses
In similar fashion.
"For shopping," says he,
"I detest with a passion.
A pink tartan kilt
and a red woollen sweater
Is all I require.
There's nought I like better".
So who's going to lend me a pink tartan kilt/skirt and a red sweater, then?
Size L or XL sweater, large skirt/kilt.
If I'm going to read the Gloob and it's a competition, I'm going to try my best to win. (my game fetish!) (see chapter 3 of the Gloob of Thannook)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
If you're very, very good* I might be persuaded to knit you a customised red sweater - knitting is one of my less obvious talents although I do of course have a better-known affinity for pointy things... :twisted:

*like keeping your pacts to yourself, at least for the 1st round in Oh Gods! :rolleyes:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
There's something so wrong with the proper pink kilt - aside from it not being a genuine tartan design :laugh:

The towel's a definite goer though - couple of nice hot washes to get the colour running or alternatively shove it in a bleach solution for a bit and it should leach out to a nice red salmony colour in no time :p ;)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
"Discworld Convention 2010: Planned Programme Items

Here, for your delectation, are some of the events and activities which are planned for this year's programme.

The list is not exhaustive - we'll be adding more items as we think of them so keep checking back.
Also, item descriptions may change without warning if the Things With Tentacles have their way.

We realise that this doesn't allude to any sort of schedule. This is intentional.
Scheduling a Convention programme is an occult art of the highest order, and the final shape of things often remains in a state of flux until the very last moment.
We do our best to fix certain events in time and space, but this has the unfortunate effect of rendering the rest of it even more fluid (in accordance with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Princple).

Read and anticipate...

Book Signings
Get you stuff signed by the Bloke In The Hat, plus our other guests!
This is a ticket-based event and there is a three item limit so everyone gets a change at having their stuff defaced.

Candle Making
Make and decorate your own beeswax candle clocks. Suitable for all ages.

Charity Auction
Bring your wallets and your bidding paddles. We have an auction catalogue that is stuffed with high quality, Discworld-related rarities. It's all for charity, so come along and throw caution to the winds.

Children's Maskerade
A chance for the children to parade their costumes before a panel of judges without all those pesky adults trying to hog the limelight.

Church of Om
After the hectic chaos of the previous two days, perhaps you fancy a little quiet contemplation. If so, this is NOT the event for you! Whether you prefer Offler or Om, join us in (ir)reverent (and occasionally tuneful) song.

Clacksical Compositions
Think you can do a better job than Grandad? Work your magic on the clacks to transfer the words of a song to your team mates, first one to sing it gets the points!

Create Your Own Religion
Do you feel that the 10 Commandments lack a little something? Would you like to see a little more fire and brimstone? This course in applied theology might be your chance to put things right.

Creationist Myths
We might think we know how the world was created, but so did lots of cultures before us. Learn the theories from across the ages, from the outrageous to the almost sensible.

CSI: Ankh-Morpork
A hands-on demonstration from a member of the Watch on examining a Discworld crime scene. Can you close the case?

Desert Island Books
Strange as it may seem, there are some authors worth reading other than Sir Terry. Our panel discuss which fantasy and sci-fi works they would take if they were to be marooned on the Nation.

Floating Orangutans
Every two years you give a significant amount of money to our principal charity. This event is a chance for you to find out how they spend it, as one of the Foundation's volunteers will be giving a presentation on their work.

Gala Dinner
Sunday evening's headline event. Break out your poshest frock, your snazziest suit and your silver-plated eating rammer, and join the Convention dignitaries at table.
Warning: Danger of speeches.

Note: This is the Convention's only extra-cost event. There will be a limited number of tickets available, and the theme and booking details will be revealed in April.

Grand Stamp Exchange
An opportunity to exchange stamps and chat about all things flataly.

Great Hedgehog Race
It's very simple. We give teams of competitors a pile of junk each and challenge them to make something useful. Well, not very useful, but at least something that functions. OK, something that tries to function for at least 5 seconds before falling apart. Come along to the Race Registration session to find out how it all works.

Hedgehog Party
alt.fan.pratchett (AFP) is one of the oldest bastions of online Discworld fandom where fans can talk about almost anything. Some days, they even talk about the books. AFP invites you to join then at their biannual party.

Leonard Da Quirm Aerial Challenge
Pit your paper folding skills against those of your fellow conventioneers to create a paper plane that can sour into the air and fly like the wind. OK - we'll accept anything that doesn't nosedive into the ground and fly like a brick budgie.

Maskerade
Saturday evening's grand attraction, and the Discworld fan's ultimate fashion show.

Teams and individual entrants show off their costume making skills before our carefully selected panel of judges (including the Man Himself). Entry forms and full details of how to enter will be coming soon to a website near you, but will also be available at Registration and the 'sign-ups' event.

After the Maskerade judging, entrants can take part in a photo call when the huddled masses and associated paparazzi may take photographs.

Opening Ceremony
The Grand Official Opening of the 2010 Discworld Convention will take place on Friday evening.

The details are a closely guarded secret but are likely to include a speech from a Man in a Big Hat.
Meanwhile the Convention Committee will try to refrain from having 19 simultaneous nervous breakdowns and do their best to welcome you into the parallel universe of the Discworld Convention.

Reduced Discworld Theatre Company
Can an entire Discworld novel be fit in to a two-hour theatrical performance by a cast of thousandsaround a dozen? Why not come along and see for yourself? We can guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

Scone and Jam
The Musicians' Chapter of the Guild of Conjurors, Thespians, and Associated Trades invite you to an improvised musical event. All welcome. Bring your musical instruments, your voice, or just your applause.

Storytelling Competition
Do you know the greatest story never told? Weave your tale and spin your yarn, whether a shaggy-dog story or a bardic drama, and you could come out on top.

Team Colours
Colour in your team strip, make yourself a flag and support your foot the ball team!

The Bestiary
From Ambiguous Puzumas to the world-bearing turtle, document the creatures of the Discworld in our Bestiary.

The Igor Experience
You've written the book, now build the beast. Come along and construct a creature in the traditional Igor manner; from whatever bits you've got to hand.

Troll's Guide to the Convention
Never been to a Discworld convention before? Never been to any convention before? Then the Troll's Guide is for you. Learn to identify Watch members and recognise Gophers with extra points awarded for Convention Committee Member spotting.

Unseen University Challenge
Dare you pit your wits against your fellow fans for a chance to be crowned Champion of the Unseen University Challenge?

Werewolf
A werewolf is stalking your village and killing off random villagers. Can you unmask him (or her) before he finds you? Or will the beast conceal its identity long enough to win?

What time is it Mr. Wolf?
Fun and games Überwald-style, for kids big and small."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter