DWCon Update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
The next time I go to England will be with my whole family in 2012. My wife wants to watch the women's marathon and cheer on the Japanese women - Japan are good at the women's marathon. Today she said to me that I can stay on and go to the DWCon. Bless her! I love my wife. :laugh:

The next time, Sjoerd and me are going to win the Maskerade. Also, I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds drinking the over-priced fizzy chemical nonsense they serve at the hotel. Every evening I'm going to hire a taxi and go to the Griffin pub and drink "Aunt Sally's (or whatever it was called) and Pedigree. The only time I felt drunk was on the last night in that pub - the pork pie was really nice too! :p

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
One pint of that Dark Ruby was equivalent to at least 5 pints of that Becks, and the Becks was the only thing worth drinking in the hotel. Why did you think I bought you a whisky WWD? I wanted to get drunk but couldn't. :(

And if you have three Dark Ruby's, you're gone!

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
poohcarrot said:
Who is or was Sarah Hughes? o_O
It wasn't that Conservative MP in the 80s mistress, was it?
Well before her.

Sarah Hughes was the landlady of the Beacon Hotel near Dudley and in 1921 she bought the small brewery that supplied her pub. The brewery closed in about 1960 but her grandson reopened it in 1987 and still runs the place today, he started off brewing just Sarah Hughes Dark Mild as it was originally known but now has a reasonable range. It is possible to visit the brewery, it's about 25 miles from where the convention is held (now there is a challenge for someone to fit in) and I still hope they might bottle the beer again. They stopped about 8 or 9 years ago but it is probably safer not to have large quantities of the stuff at home :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter