Elizabeth II RIP...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Well, I knew this day was coming. I just didn't think it'd be quite this soon, and I'm sure neither did anyone else here.

I'm a staunch opponent of the monarchy as a system of government (I'm an iconoclastic Aussie with a bad case of misanthropy, what're you gonna do?), but I respected Elizabeth II's character and dignity and devotion to duty.

So, all I can say is...Ave atque vale. :(

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I was thinking about this just the other day. I'm not a monarchist, but she has been a part of my life for the last 60 years or so. So I'll say RIP

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Wait, wait, wait ... the Queen passed away?!? :( I didn't hear that on the news. Last I heard, the doctors advised her to rest.

I'm not a monarchist, but I like the pageantry and spectacle. And I respect the Queen's dignity, devotion to duty, and unflappability. She never lost her temper.

I'm afraid for the future of the monarchy. As Louis XIV said on his death bed: Après moi, le déluge.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I thought rumour was the fastest thing (at least, according to The Truth). "A story can make its way around the world before the truth has got its boots on". :)

Sorry for all the questions (like "what does it mean"). I must say, I am as yet too young to have experienced a change of monarch before. (I've read about what used to happen, in previous centuries, when a monarch died - but it's never happened in my lifetime).

So, this ABC article is reassuring. It seems that nothing will change in the daily lives of citizens. Coins and passports are still valid. The UK anthem will change slightly. Parliament will still sit. Other than that, it's business as usual.

Thank goodness, I guess, that monarchs nowadays aren't assassinating each other (as they used to do).

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
As Terry noted - the speed of monarchy is the fastest thing going. The moment the queen died, Charles became the king.
That's right: “The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously." Mort

RIP

User Menu

Newsletter