SPOILERS Equal Rites Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
Wow, I missed this one. :rolleyes: But I hope there still are people who read this thread.

A favourite quote:

"To ther Hed Wizzard, Unsene Universety, Greatings,
I hop you ar well, I am sending to you won Escarrina Smith, shee hath thee maekings of wizzardery but whot may be ferther dun wyth hyr I knowe not shee is a gode worker and clene about hyr person allso skilled in diuerse arts of thee howse, I will send Monies wyth hyr, May you liv longe and ende youre days in pese, And oblije, Esmerelder Weatherwaxe (Mss) Wytch."

:laugh: And after that, the explaination of why Granny used "diuerse"... it's hillaric! too lazy to type it out, but look it up, I'm sure your be have to laugh out loud, just as I did (oh yeah, I almost fell off my bed when I read it last time :laugh: :laugh:).

And I love this one too:

"The room inside was pink and frilly. There were frills on things that no-one in their right mind would frill. It was like being inside candyfloss.
'Very nice,' said Granny. And, because she felt it was expected from her, 'Tasteful'. She looked around for something unfrilly to sit on, and gave up."

:mrgreen:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
kakaze said:
When you read equal rites, how to picture the staff's carvings?
I sort of see them as like those very old 16th Century chests with really deep, somewhat crude carvings that are black with age. But as the book says, they are impossible to see - Esk only gets to see then once she becomes a proper wizard. :)

bj420

Jul 24, 2010
I've just finished this book and came here to see if my reading was similar to others, but I've seen no reference to my interpretation of the book which may suggest I am wrong.

Ignoring the gender issues in the book (hard when that is the main idea), I believe that Simon is, in fact, meant to be the Disc's Einstein. He breaks down the behaviour of the entire disc into numbers and equations, and the others all can see that it all makes a lot of sense even if they can't understand it.

The creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions are probably a reference to the powers behind Einstein's theory, i.e. the dangers of nuclear technology. The wisdom to know all about the science but not to use it reflects the same situation with regards to nuclear weaponry and maybe even nuclear power etc.

The new science that Esk and Simon went off to study is probably relativity and quantum physics.

Am I way off track or was this just too obvious to be mentioned here?

Cheers,
BJ

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
bj420 said:
I've just finished this book and came here to see if my reading was similar to others, but I've seen no reference to my interpretation of the book which may suggest I am wrong.

Ignoring the gender issues in the book (hard when that is the main idea), I believe that Simon is, in fact, meant to be the Disc's Einstein. He breaks down the behaviour of the entire disc into numbers and equations, and the others all can see that it all makes a lot of sense even if they can't understand it.

The creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions are probably a reference to the powers behind Einstein's theory, i.e. the dangers of nuclear technology. The wisdom to know all about the science but not to use it reflects the same situation with regards to nuclear weaponry and maybe even nuclear power etc.

The new science that Esk and Simon went off to study is probably relativity and quantum physics.

Cheers,
BJ
Welcome bj420! :laugh:

I think that you are certainly right to a degree, although Terry has covered the subject of magic = nuclear power much better in other books with Ponder Stibbons and Leonard of Quirm playing the Einstein role.

There's a lot more to this book than meets the eye and it's certainly got a lot of depth. I'm convinced it's about sex and puberty - but that may be just me. :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
bj420 said:

Cheers,
BJ
Hi bj

Nice theory! :p I'll certainly believe it. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Sex and puberty certainly equates with Einsteinian theory and not messing with nuclear physics - magic mushrooms are scary enough without radiation etc kicking in :twisted:

E=MC2 could take on a whole new meaning on the sex side but as a female I'm rather underwhelmed in that department so it could make a nice change ;)

Jan 1, 2010
Hi BJ

I like the theory but not convinced Simon is Einstein he's far too succesful too young, no years in a patent office for him, plus he and Esk beat the monsters and I doubt Terry thinks were on top of the potential monsters of nuclear

worth thinking about though

Tenthegg

Lance-Constable
Oct 20, 2011
Durham
I wondered what anyone thought of Esk's constant questioning of the status quo in this book. Aside from her questioning of why women can't be wizards throughout, she questions why women can't go out and seek their fortune when sailing up the Ankh (p117) and questions and changes idoly some of the market wrongs in Ohulan, like the chained up monkey (p101). she seems to always be going against the grain.

"she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don’t apply to you." (p127)

Tenthegg

Lance-Constable
Oct 20, 2011
Durham
raptornx01 said:
Seemed to be a very kid thing to do. thats outsider looking in thing. seemed natural to me. I honestly had wanted to know the answers myself. (even though they were never really answered)
Pratchett seems to do this allot himself, question things but not actually provide his own answer but leave us to make up our own minds.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tenthegg said:
raptornx01 said:
Seemed to be a very kid thing to do. thats outsider looking in thing. seemed natural to me. I honestly had wanted to know the answers myself. (even though they were never really answered)
Pratchett seems to do this allot himself, question things but not actually provide his own answer but leave us to make up our own minds.
Agreed! He rarely seems to explain things in his books at a later date either. :)

Tenthegg

Lance-Constable
Oct 20, 2011
Durham
Pratchett seems to do this allot himself, question things but not actually provide his own answer but leave us to make up our own minds.[/quote]

But nonetheless, there seems sometimes to be a moral message behind alot of it, a sense that our actions define us morally. I don't know if this is apparent to anyone else or if I'm just reading into it too much o_O

I know Terry himself is a Humanist and I think sometimes his characters take on a sort of humanism too.

Ziriath

Constable
Oct 15, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
Discworld is big...There must be people, who doesnt sort themselves neither into the 'Witch' nor 'Wizard' folder, maybe because they don't know the conventions, and they do their own magic. Also I think there must be people with weak and unusable, randomly striking magic power. It would be very interesting.

Speaking of female wizards, do you remember Marchesa, that black girl from Krull? She has a staff and she said she is a 5th level wizard. It seems the witch-wizard sorting is mainly a convention of the 'civilised' land.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter