Footnotes*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
WeeKelda said:
I think mine would be the one about how Ankh-Morpork was made when some men threw animal dung off the sides of their ship and named it Ankh-Morpork.

Grrr...cant remember which book it's from. I thnk it was pyramids. I'm really not sure.
Welcome to the site WeeKelda! :laugh:

TheMole said:
:laugh: My favourite from Hogfather:

'Why d'yer think I want it opened?'
'Er... why?' said the Lecturer in Recent Runes.
'To see why they wanted it shut, of course.' *
*This exchange contains almost all you need to know about human civilization. At least, those bits of it that are now under the sea, fenced off or still smoking.
I Believe that bit is concerning the Bathroom designed by B.S Johnson?

Aug 3, 2009
England
I love the footnotes.
They make me feel like the author is talking directly to me, I think it's quite an intimate way of writing. CS Lewis creates a similar effect by directly addressing the reader in an informal way.
I think the footnotes make (for me, anyway) the books better than any TV/film adaptation could ever be.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
One of my favourite footnotes:
*This at least was true. Rincewind could scream for mercy in niniteen languages, and just scream# in another forty-four.
#This is important. Inexperienced travellers might think that 'Aargh!' is universal, but in Betrobi it means 'highly enjoyable' and in Howondaland it means, variously' I would like to eat your foot', Your wife is a big hippo' and 'Hello, Thinks Mr Purple Cat.' One particular tribe has a fearsome reputation for cruelty merely because prisoners appear, to them, to be shouting 'Quick! Extra boiling oil!'

From Interesting Times :laugh:

Sjoerd3000 said:
*This at least was true. Rincewind could scream for mercy in niniteen languages, and just scream# in another forty-four.
#This is important. Inexperienced travellers might think that 'Aargh!' is universal, but in Betrobi it means 'highly enjoyable' and in Howondaland it means, variously' I would like to eat your foot', Your wife is a big hippo' and 'Hello, Thinks Mr Purple Cat.' One particular tribe has a fearsome reputation for cruelty merely because prisoners appear, to them, to be shouting 'Quick! Extra boiling oil!'

LOL yeah, I just adore the footnotes. That is a pretty darn good one too. I remember thinking that it was unique that sometimes 1/2 of two facing pages were covered with footnotes... :laugh: They really add a cool dimension.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Sjoerd3000 said:

Nearly wet my pants when I read that one the first time :laugh: It's so hilarious!

User Menu

Newsletter