Footnotes*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I had another "laughing on public transport" moment this morning whilst reading Thud! on the bus, due to one of Terry's delightful footnotes:

"His eye was caught by the top sheet of paperwork in his in-tray.*

*Vimes maintained three trays: In, Out and Shake It All About; the last one was where he put everything he was too busy, angry, tired or bewildered to do anything about."

Shake It All About - fantastic!

I know it's too much to ask for your favourites, there are too many to count for me. But if you could remind me of some hilarious ones, I'd be grateful ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Footnotes are almost Terry's signature - he uses them almost more than anyone else I can think of.

How about = "As has been pointed out earlier in the Discworld chonicles, entire agricultural economies have been based on the lifting power of little old ladies in black dresses."

Any guesses which book it's from? ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Cor, 10/10 on the first one, 12/15 on the second. But they were mostly self-evident - you just pick the funniest answer & that must have been Terry.

Pita

Lance-Constable
Sep 7, 2008
9/10 on the first one, 14/15 on the second.
In the first one, I made a mistake on the Witches Abroad vacation question, but only because that was the only one that happened to me.
In the second one, I made a mistake with the Librarian. I thought he wouldn't be that ignorant of what really happened. :(
First postage!
Now I must find the stamp.

snapcase72

Lance-Constable
Aug 24, 2008
Lofoten, Norway
Here's one of my absolute favourite footnotes, concerning King Murune of Lancre, who met a terrible fate:

"Involving a red hot poker, a privy, ten pounds of live eels, a three mile stretch of frozen river, a butt of wine, a couple of tulip bulbs, a number of poisoned eardrops, an oyster and a large man with a mallet. King Murune didn't make friends easily."

-Wyrd Sisters

AceTrilby

Lance-Constable
Apr 26, 2009
Scotland
My favourite would be the Pavlovian Response footnote from Jingo:

It was an almost Pavlovian response.*

* A term invented by the wizard Denephew Boot**, who had found that by a system of rewards and punishments he could train a dog, at the ringing of a bell, to immediately eat a strawberry meringue.

** His parents, who were uncomplicated country people, had wanted a girl. They were expecting to call her Denise.

User Menu

Newsletter