Good Omens part two

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Uh-oh ... I hope Neil will be back to oversee this. I'd hate for someone else to take over and turn it into a load of ... er, something that rhymes with "hit". ;)

Also, I'm a little concerned about these two:

A TV insider said: “The novel and the show gained a real cult following, so devotees will be thrilled to learn about this sequel."
"Cult following"? "Devotees"? Ah, crap. *gets ready to duck before the entire internet yells "NERDS!"* :p

But who cares? I'd rather be a Pratchett fan (or a Gaiman fan) than any other kind. ;) ...and...

...the creators will continue the plot well beyond the story originally penned by Sir Terry.
Er ... the story was penned by Terry and Neil. The Sun would (or should) have found that out in half-a-second's googling. ;)

But what can you expect from Fleet Street? :p

Given that there's no announcement or press release from Neil Gaiman ( https://twitter.com/neilhimself ) I'm going to call this a full on rumour (i.e. the "journalists" made it up because it sounds good). It is The Sun, after all...

There's definitely been times immediately after the series was released where Neil and Douglas McKinnon both said that a second series was never ruled out, but that's very different to announcing that it's been green-lit.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Uh-oh ... I hope Neil will be back to oversee this. I'd hate for someone else to take over and turn it into a load of ... er, something that rhymes with "hit". ;)

Also, I'm a little concerned about these two:

"Cult following"? "Devotees"? Ah, crap. *gets ready to duck before the entire internet yells "NERDS!"* :p

But who cares? I'd rather be a Pratchett fan (or a Gaiman fan) than any other kind. ;) ...and...

Er ... the story was penned by Terry and Neil. The Sun would (or should) have found that out in half-a-second's googling. ;)

But what can you expect from Fleet Street? :p
Fleet Street does not exist any more as the home of newspaper's Rath, the street is still there though.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
No? Why is that, Penfold? *curious*

I agree that the first series ended on a perfect note. After all, it had to -- it was the end of the book. :)

I also agree with Molokov. Just because no-one ruled out a second series, it doesn't follow that a second series will happen. :)

It's the old false dilemma. For instance, "Stacey spoke out against communism; therefore, she must be a capitalist." Or "We can't legislate against noise levels in New York, because if we do, a lot of bars will have to close."

Similarly, in this case, The Sun says: "Gaiman and MacKinnon never ruled out a second series. Therefore, a second series must be coming." ;)

This black-and-white view of the world ignores the fact that the world is not black-and-white, and never has been. :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Th
As much as I like Tennant and Sheen, I really hope they don't make a second series.
Penners, this is the cast list.
Good Omens Season 2 – Cast
The expected cast for the main lead for the new season of Good Omens Season 2:

• David Tennant will be playing the role of Crowley.
  • Michael Sheen will be featured as Aziraphale.
The other expected cast for the new season of Good Omens Season 2:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Um ... I have three major reasons for thinking that the person who wrote this "article" doesn't know what he's talking about, doesn't care, or he is full of :poop:. ;)

1. Relatively-minor-but-still-pretty-major reason: The various grammatical errors. I don't expect everyone online to write grammatically correct English. But if you are a journalist, I'd expect you to know basic grammar. If Sir Terry could read this article (and remember, Sir Terry was a journalist for a long time before he became an author), he'd be rolling in his grave.

2. Pretty major reason: The author spells Neil's name as as "Mr. Niel Gaiman" (sp?). :rolleyes: I wasn't aware Neil had suddenly become Scandinavian (akin to Niels Bohr). :p

3. VERY major reason: This article says, and I quote:

It is being reported that Pratchett and Gaiman have planned about making the new season of the Good Omens.
I really, really doubt that. There are only two ways that can be true:

1. Neil secretly used a ouija board and leaked the outcome to this guy; or
2. Terry has suddenly risen from the grave. (??)

All right, let's keep an open mind. Let's just assume, just for the sake of argument, that he had risen from the grave and somehow all of Britain's media missed it. Surely they wouldn't miss it for long ... :)

So you may call me Old Mister Cynical if you wish, but I call bull--:poop: on this. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Um ... I have three major reasons for thinking that the person who wrote this "article" doesn't know what he's talking about, doesn't care, or he is full of :poop:. ;)

1. Relatively-minor-but-still-pretty-major reason: The various grammatical errors. I don't expect everyone online to write grammatically correct English. But if you are a journalist, I'd expect you to know basic grammar. If Sir Terry could read this article (and remember, Sir Terry was a journalist for a long time before he became an author), he'd be rolling in his grave.

2. Pretty major reason: The author spells Neil's name as as "Mr. Niel Gaiman" (sp?). :rolleyes: I wasn't aware Neil had suddenly become Scandinavian (akin to Niels Bohr). :p

3. VERY major reason: This article says, and I quote:

I really, really doubt that. There are only two ways that can be true:

1. Neil secretly used a ouija board and leaked the outcome to this guy; or
2. Terry has suddenly risen from the grave. (??)

All right, let's keep an open mind. Let's just assume, just for the sake of argument, that he had risen from the grave and somehow all of Britain's media missed it. Surely they wouldn't miss it for long ... :)

So you may call me Old Mister Cynical if you wish, but I call bull--:poop: on this. ;)
Rath, Oh ye of little faith, 1621183178119.png ;)
When is Good Omens season 2 out?
Amazon Prime has not officially confirmed the renewal of Good Omens for a second season, though reports from The Sun have suggested it has been given the green light.

Express.co.uk has contacted Prime Video for more information on whether season two will appear.

Neil Gaiman, the original author of the book which inspired the show, also served as one of the lead showrunners and writers on the series.

Over the years he has been very open on the potential of a sequel for the show, but he has been on the fence about the idea for quite some time.

Speaking to RadioTimes back in 2017, Gaiman said: “Terry [Pratchett] and I also plotted a sequel to Good Omens that we never did.

“It was about where the angels actually came from, which is why it was pretty easy to add extra angels to this.”

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. I am still skeptical -- for several reasons:

First: I would like to know where did this quote came from. :)

Second: as below ...

When is Good Omens season 2 out?
Amazon Prime has not officially confirmed the renewal of Good Omens for a second season, though reports from The Sun have suggested it has been given the green light.

Express.co.uk has contacted Prime Video for more information on whether season two will appear.
... I would not trust either The Sun or The Express to tell me that the sun revolves around the earth. :p

Third: neither Amazon Prime nor Neil have either confirmed or denied that there is a Season 2. I won't believe it until it's been officially confirmed -- or for that matter, officially denied. ;) As Tony Jay and Jon Lynn point out in "Yes, Prime Minister":

Rule One of Politics: Never Believe Anything Until It's Been Officially Denied.
And I think we may add TV and films to that. As soon as someone says "We're not doing another season of X" or "We're definitely not filming Y", that means they are doing it, and just waiting for the right time to announce it. ;)

Neil Gaiman, the original author of the book which inspired the show, also served as one of the lead showrunners and writers on the series.
The Sun's article says Sir Terry wrote "Good Omens". The anonymous person who wrote this article says Neil did it. To paraphrase Bugs Bunny: "He don't know the book vewy well, do he?" ;)

Over the years he has been very open on the potential of a sequel for the show, but he has been on the fence about the idea for quite some time.

Speaking to RadioTimes back in 2017, Gaiman said: “Terry [Pratchett] and I also plotted a sequel to Good Omens that we never did.

“It was about where the angels actually came from, which is why it was pretty easy to add extra angels to this.”
OK, this seems more promising. But one quote to the Radio Times doesn't mean that a sequel is coming. One swallow does not a summer make; one quote does not a season make. ;)

I'm sorry to be so skeptical, but so far I have no reason not to be ... ;) So, I'm willing to wait until there's proof that Season 2 is definitely coming.

The Soviets have a very wise saying: Doverai, ne proverai -- you can trust, but you'd better verify! :) So, I can wait. And you can call me Old Mr Cynical if you like. ;)

*sits, twiddles thumbs, hums "The Girl from Ipanema"* ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Hmm. I am still skeptical -- for several reasons:

First: I would like to know where did this quote came from. :)

Second: as below ...

... I would not trust either The Sun or The Express to tell me that the sun revolves around the earth. :p

Third: neither Amazon Prime nor Neil have either confirmed or denied that there is a Season 2. I won't believe it until it's been officially confirmed -- or for that matter, officially denied. ;) As Tony Jay and Jon Lynn point out in "Yes, Prime Minister":

And I think we may add TV and films to that. As soon as someone says "We're not doing another season of X" or "We're definitely not filming Y", that means they are doing it, and just waiting for the right time to announce it. ;)

The Sun's article says Sir Terry wrote "Good Omens". The anonymous person who wrote this article says Neil did it. To paraphrase Bugs Bunny: "He don't know the book vewy well, do he?" ;)

OK, this seems more promising. But one quote to the Radio Times doesn't mean that a sequel is coming. One swallow does not a summer make; one quote does not a season make. ;)

I'm sorry to be so skeptical, but so far I have no reason not to be ... ;) So, I'm willing to wait until there's proof that Season 2 is definitely coming.

The Soviets have a very wise saying: Doverai, ne proverai -- you can trust, but you'd better verify! :) So, I can wait. And you can call me Old Mr Cynical if you like. ;)

*sits, twiddles thumbs, hums "The Girl from Ipanema"* ;)
All in the post above, maybe you missed it.
Twas the Beeb, Speaking to RadioTimes plus there are many more film mags, tabloids etc. all saying the same, where there is smoke there is fire, do a search and find out for yourself or not.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yeah, all right. Trouble is, I've googled "Good Omens season 2" and looked at some of the first results, including looper, The Cinemaholic and, yes, Radio Times. All of them seem to be giving hints and clues -- maybe yes, maybe no.

So, so far I can't see anything to be excited about. *shrug* Sorry. Of course it'd be brilliant if it was coming soon. But it's not even written yet, and it seems like Neil hasn't even made up his mind yet. So. :confused:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I checked the Radio Times article. They do not quote the BBC unless Radio Times is owned by the BBC. All the quotes are from Radio Times interviews. It has been known for some time that pTerry and Neil plotted a sequel, but also that they never wrote it. Saying "I would love to but..." is pretty clearly a soft way of saying "No."

User Menu

Newsletter