SPOILERS Haunting novel **Possible Spoilers for Nation**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
silverstreak said:
I totally agree that it can be read by all ages.It struck me though,when I was reading it,that it could very well influence the developing minds of the younger readers.I mean that in a good and positive way.
Yes indeed - maybe even help them to deal with such things as grief.

Jul 26, 2008
Planet Jendall
did i spot a continuity error?

Er i mean other trouser leg of time moment.

someone is referred to as having more tattoos than the Edinburgh Festival.
The book is set in 19th century I believe.
According to Wikidpedia - WHICH IS NEVER WRONG LOL - the Edinburgh Tattoo has only been happening for 60 years.

Have I got this wrong?
:laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It seems, as you read this book (in fact it's very obvious) that this is an alternative reality of Earth, so maybe on that version of Earth the Edinburgh Tattoo has been going for much longer. ;)

After all, I don't remember ever reading in a history book about the British Royal Family dying of flu.

Terry make a continuity error?

NEVER! :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Is the description Terry's, or one of the character's about someone else? If the description is coming from the writer, who's writing about past events, then it's a valid comment surely? I can't actually remember where this comment was in the book though.

Nerdy girl provides possible get-out clause then goes away ;)

Finished!

Well...it´s bloody good book, without doubt, but the last chapter ("Today")...I found it too much unbelievable - the technical progress of Nation and so on... But maybe I am wrong..and of course, in alternative realities, everything is possible ;)

And mind you, surely I don´t believe that bit about Ermintrude´s grandmother - sitting next to Mrs. Gurgle and so on ... she just isn´t that kind of man (OK, woman)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I wondered that about Mrs Gurgle and Ermintrude's grandmother. I did seem unlikely, but Mrs Gurgle seemed like a very persuasive person. :laugh:

Ew - I'm eating my dinner you know! :p

User Menu

Newsletter