HOGFATHER THE BRAND NEW FESTIVE EDITION

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The new cover has the correct number of hogs - four - and they are the correct color, basically greyish.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Er ... eh? Josh Kirby's cover (below) ...

... also has the right number of hogs. (But they are a kind of pink-red, which obviously isn't right). ;)

Also, Albert looks like a kind of pirate (?!?), and Susan has blonde hair (which is obviously wrong).

I'm also not sure who that is behind Susan, and why there's a kind of with/assassin in the lower right? Is that supposed to be Teatime?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Although Josh Kirby's covers are beloved, it doesn't mean they are always accurate to the book. Terry himself has pointed this out when he commented of the cover for The Colour of Magic, when Josh depicted Twoflower as literally having FOUR EYES!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Um ... if the pirate-looking guy is Banjo Lilywhite, what is he doing on Death's (sorry, the Hogfather's) sleigh? *shrug*

And who is the wizard behind "Susan"? And who is that person in the lower right that kind of looks like a witch (or assassin)? :confused:

Sorry for all the questions -- I'm just curious! :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I think the Wizard is a caricature of Josh himself as he was known to occasionally draw himself on a cover and that looks like the one I've seen before.
The assassin looks like Teppic to me, and Albert is dressed as a Elf as he was helping Death as Hogfather but the King bottom left might be Verence I and behind him the fool who was Verence II ?? no idea who the old guy pulling them is though. And the D.O.R and Quoth.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Dug, that "king" at the bottom might be the Discworld version of "Good King Wenceslas". :) Behind him and in front might be servants? No idea.

I didn't notice the Death of Rats and Quoth before. Good eyes. :)

The assassin is Teppic? I'm not sure. I don't remember Teppic in Hogfather - and besides, he looks more "evil". Maybe it's Teatime?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Er ... doesn't Death on that picture look a little -- I don't know -- cartoony?

Also, there are either three pigs or six there. There should be four.

Finally, the "swirl and stripe" effect just doesn't work for me. Is it supposed to be a candy cane? But there are no candy canes on the Disc.

Sorry. The Kirby cover is much better, in my not-so-humble.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I agree with you there Rath, the Kirby cover while very busy as all his covers are, is more pleasing to my eye.
This one is from Robert Rankin's The Brentford Triangle omnibus.
Plus he also did covers for Tom Holt and quite a few USA authors.

BrentfordTrilogy.jpg

1630670131382.jpeg

Last edited:

User Menu

Newsletter