I so wanna see this

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
That looks quite good.

edited to add, just seen the latest trailer for Suicde Squad with the Sweet's Ballroom Blitz playing that is just going to be great maybe??? even better than Deadpool ?? but it will be a close run thing. :laugh: :mrgreen:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, hold on.... a real-life re-enactment of Beauty and the Beast? Sounds interesting. ;)

I have heard that the "Beauty and the Beast" story is based on the stories that grew up around Gilles de Rais, the legendary Bluebeard of the 15th century. Does anyone know if this is true?

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I think the story's actually much older than that, so probably not. It is after all, a tale as old as time.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
RathDarkblade said:
Hmm, hold on.... a real-life re-enactment of Beauty and the Beast? Sounds interesting. ;)

I have heard that the "Beauty and the Beast" story is based on the stories that grew up around Gilles de Rais, the legendary Bluebeard of the 15th century. Does anyone know if this is true?
The Beauty and the Beast tale, according to scholars, might be as old as 4000 years old.

Actually, your mentioning Gilles de Rais reminded me of a series I am watching called Fate/Zero, a prequel to Fate/Stay Night. Fate/Zero is about a magical tournament, the Holy Grail War, between a septet of Mages and their warriors known as Servants, who are heroes from myth and history who are summoned to the modern day (under seven classes: Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Berserker, Caster, and Assassin). The winner is granted a single wish by the Grail that forms when six of the seven Servants are slain. Now, normally, only heroes of some sort get summoned (and, while amoral or self-centred and arrogant, aren't necessarily villains, though a few toe the line), but it's a plot point that becomes significant that far more twisted and villainous versions of historical figures and mythological figures can get summoned. In the second episode, Gilles de Rais gets summoned (under the class of Caster) by a serial killer called Ryuunosuke Uryu. Here's the Japanese version of the scene (warning, disturbing stuff: the series would probably be a 15 rating under the BBFC rules)...

If that's not disturbing enough, Gilles de Rais believes that one of the main characters, Saber (who is King Arthur, or rather, Arturia: King Arthur, in the Fate franchise, was a woman), is actually Joan of Arc, and becomes obsessed with breaking her free of what he believes is a curse from God preventing her from remembering who she is and who he is. I'm eight episodes into the series, and it's bloody good. Any anime fans who want a dark and intelligent story should give it a go.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
not a fan of the fate series
the forced mythology reminds my of the Jyu-Oh-Sei " Planet of the Beast King" and how it shoehorned as much Greek mythology into 11 episodes and coupling that with weak characters turned me off that type of anime

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Ghost said:
not a fan of the fate series
the forced mythology reminds my of the Jyu-Oh-Sei " Planet of the Beast King" and how it shoehorned as much Greek mythology into 11 episodes and coupling that with weak characters turned me off that type of anime
That doesn't ring a bell per se. And that's a shame. A lot of the Fate franchise goes into deconstructing (and even reconstructing) the nature of a hero. That's one of the reasons it appealed to me.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
IT trailer.

Another remake but blimey, I'm in. I love the book. Tim Curry was a great Pennywise but this does look alright.

It's not too graphic but I'll put this in a spoiler tag, obviously it's a trailer for a scary movie, so fair warning.

User Menu

Newsletter