Idea for a Discworld Campaign

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I thought it might be amusing if a happy accident from the Research and Development group at the Unseen University arising from research on quantum bubbles would have resulted in this offering: a special soap that cleans your clothes for you.

What self-respecting housewife, washer-woman or cleaning lady in Ankh-Morpork wouldn't want that? (It's sexist, I know, but considering the Victorian milieu of many of the books, I figure that would be the likely scenario.)

The problem is that when used for washing, the suds become sentient and gangs of them start to multiply, cleaning buildings and street urchins. I'm considering letting my sentient suds inhume members of the Assassins' Guild, since with their chosen profession and their love of black attire, the suds consider guild members a "stain on humanity."

I think it would be easy enough introduce my players into that scenario in a number of ways, through Vetinari, the Assassins' Guild, the UU, and/or people whose livelihoods are being jeopardized by the smart soap.

That's as far as I've gotten. I do have a question, I though I saw a reference to the Unseen University creating an R&D group, but I can't remember where it was. I've checked the compendium with no luck. I may have seen it in one of the wikis, or even the first couple of books, but in trying to start reading the series and doing way too much general reading on Discworld to familiarize myself with the settings for the rpg I want to run, I'm drawing a great big zero. Thanks for any assistance you all can give. :doh:

edit: I just wanted to add that I saw an old advert for something called "Automatic Soap," and that's what gave me the idea. :)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Would this smart soap be something like a washing machine, then? ;)

The R&D group in UU - I suspect you mean the High Energy Magic building? - is mentioned in The Science of Discworld, I think... although both it and Ponder Stibbons are mentioned as far back as Reaper Man, and Ponder is mentioned even further back, in Moving Pictures IIRC, where he and Victor Tugelbend are classmates.

Ponder gets through the exams with a record score of 100% because Victor, the laziest student in the history of UU - because he gets a stipend to be a student, and doesn't want to become a full-fledged wizard or someone might decide that they want to kill him - fails to show up for the final exam and Ponder, after spilling ink on his exam, is given Victor's exam instead. The only question on it is: "What is your name?"

Here's some more info about UU. Good luck! :)

:happy-wavemulticolor:
I doubt that you are (sorry), and it was very funny. I understand why you couldn't resist sticking that one in there. The world is best experienced with a sense of humor at all times!

Btw, this is one of my all time favorites:

Oh wait, I just got the inkling of an idea for another campaign hook.

:think:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
RedQueen said:
Yeah, it would be bit like the washing machine...er....without the machine. It's the suds that do all the work.
Like the ads for "Scrubbing Bubbles"[R] ? With the little bubbles with the cheerful grins, like the biting circles in Pacman except that I seem to remember that they have hands.

=Tamar said:
RedQueen said:
Yeah, it would be bit like the washing machine...er....without the machine. It's the suds that do all the work.
Like the ads for "Scrubbing Bubbles"[R] ? With the little bubbles with the cheerful grins, like the biting circles in Pacman except that I seem to remember that they have hands.
Yes! I don't know yet how anthropomorphic I'm going to make them. I've thought it might be interesting to give them a telepathic hive mind, each bubble could be like a little worker bee. The more people using it, the smarter it gets. :think:

edited to note: It might be interesting, too, to have my feckless group of heroes have to deal with hordes of angry women once they've disabled the suds.

edit: Grammar

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
:laugh: RedQueen! Yes, I love Al's Word Crimes. I've been writing fantasy and parody since I finished high school in 1994, and branched out into history, haiku, poetry, and short skits about 10 years ago. So yes, most of Al's pet peeves are mine too. :laugh:

Weird Al rocks. :mrgreen:

User Menu

Newsletter