In preparation for Good Omens TV series

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I'm just listening to Good Omens unexpurgated edition read by Stephen Briggs, considering on getting the new audiobook read by Martin Jarvis as there was some changes made by Neil in the newest books, some errors he wanted to correct but would not say what they were.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I've read that Neil tried to make it as typo-free as humanly possible; maybe there were some that were non-obvious. Neil has been posting bits of information on twitter all along, about the mini-series and the book, and the scriptbook and companion book.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The original book of Good Omens reads a little dated now. I'll be curious to see whether the TV series will update it, or stick with the nostalgic feeling of the book. Parts of the book are very Enid Blyton, presumably on purpose.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I believe they are sticking with its original date-setting, hairdos and all, from the look of the promotional video clips. If I recall correctly, Neil did say he had revised one small bit that he felt was insensitive and that Terry would have agreed to change.
Much of the nostalgia of the book was nostalgic then too. (The original title concept was Just William and the Devil, or something like that, but the people who own the Just William copyright wouldn't allow it. Since as far as I know the Just William books never crossed the pond, possibly most of the US audience won't get that part anyway, nor the Enid Blyton either. It doesn't matter - the book stands on its own. The main issues are still up to date, unfortunately.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm not going to prepare, I don't want to watch it and say things like "That's not how it happened!". I'd rather my memory was a little foggy.

If I recall correctly, Neil did say he had revised one small bit that he felt was insensitive and that Terry would have agreed to change.
Madame Tracey's spirit guide perhaps. All the religion stuff is definitely fair game!

I'm not going to prepare, I don't want to watch it and say things like "That's not how it happened!". I'd rather my memory was a little foggy.

Madame Tracey's spirit guide perhaps. All the religion stuff is definitely fair game!
Either that, or possibly the Australian Walkabout sequence when Aziraphale is travelling the astral plane - I know the Pratchat podcast folk found that a bit off from a modern point of view, and I'm sure Neil does too.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Well, when we all get the new, typo-corrected version of the novel, we can sit down and go through it with whichever previous edition we have and check, word by word, to see what's been done. Then we can start a thread about it... should keep some of us going for a few years... :geek:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Well, when we all get the new, typo-corrected version of the novel, we can sit down and go through it with whichever previous edition we have and check, word by word, to see what's been done. Then we can start a thread about it... should keep some of us going for a few years... :geek:
I've decided to get the audible edition of the new one so I can listen to it on my MP3 player or phone.:mrgreen:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I have looked in several bookstores and have not found a copy yet, just the old versions. I can tell because the new copy was shown online as having a TV-movie-tie-in cover.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Which is the new one? The last one I listened to was the one that
has Terry and Neil doing a cameo.
;)
It's the new Audiobook with the small changes of text which Neil said he would correct, but would not say what they were. this is the new version cover.

1557780408075.png

And its been so long since I read or listened to I've either forgotten or found some things I had missed on previous occasions.

User Menu

Newsletter