Interview with Discworld Noir's Writer and Designer

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Terramax

Lance-Constable
Dec 27, 2018
So, about a year ago, I interviewed the writer and designer for Discworld Noir, a video game that I have a slight obsession over. It was the main reason why I originally wanted to sign up to this site, as I would love to hear about other people's opinions and memories of the game (assuming anyone here has played it).

Here's the link to the interview I made. I'm thinking about contacting other members of the original trilogy's creators at a future time, as I'm sure there are some interesting stories to be heard about the deveolopment of each game by Perfect Entertainment.

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/34175

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: Interview with Discworld Noir\\\'s Writer and Designer

An interesting interview. I was aware that Terry was open to a degree of Discworld being marketed, but very much only if he could have his say. it was the main reason a Hollywood Discworld movie was never approved. Nice to know that he had his say in Noir without stiffing artistic licence.

Of the games, I only ever played the second one. I am not a games player, so was never really interested other than the fact it was Discworld based. I have a copy of Noir here somewhere, but could never get it to play and wasn't that interested anyhow.

Thanks for sharing the interview. :)

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England

My daughter and I loved Discworld Noir, but it’s a long time since I last played it. It’s such a shame that they didn’t keep the software up to date and create sequels. I want to play it now!

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

I've never played the games - and actually I'm not into gaming as such - but I'm told that they can be made to play on a Linux machine that has a program called DOSBox loaded. It emulates DOS, the operating system the games were designed for, and is entirely free, so if you have the game and want to try it, all you need is an old computer with an internet connection for downloading the free Linux software.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Re: Interview with Discworld Noir\\\\\\\'s Writer and Design

I remember DWN very fondly! I still play it from time to time. :)

=Tamar is right about DOSBox, but I never tried it that way. However, I think I saw other solutions here on the "Games" forum somewhere ... let me try and find it. *click-type-clickety*

Well, you can run Discworld 1 and Discworld 2 (with Eric Idle and John Pertwee, et al.) with ScummVM. Here's how... It is not very complicated.

As for Discworld Noir... here is the right thread! Go to page 4 and search for "How to play Discworld Noir on Windows 7" by a user called "FreebirthOne". This will give you step-by-step instructions about how to get the game to play, and what to do if you can't. (I hope you still have your original CD-ROMs!) :)

The post gives you two or three different things you can do, apparently. Good luck!

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England

Thanks, Rath. I do have the CDs, but we’re on Windows 10 everywhere now, so W7 instructions probably won’t do the biz... :(

Don’t have an old computer any more, so can’t take the Linux route either. We’re down to a Windows laptop (W10) and an iPad...

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria

Rats. :-( And W10 is built on a 64-bit OS (at least), while Discworld Noir is a 16-bit game. That makes it tricky.

Why not give it a try anyway? W7 is also a 64-bit OS, and I managed to get it working on my W7 machine.

What's the worst that could happen? Yes, I know - famous last words and all, but I reckon that at worst, the game simply wouldn't run. Maybe you'll strike lucky, and it will run. :) You never know until you try... so go on, go on, go on, go on (as Mrs Doyle tells Father Ted!) *L*

User Menu

Newsletter