Jane Eyre

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
A week or so ago something made me think I should reread Charlotte Bronte's novel, Jane Eyre, to see whether my original low opinion of it has changed in the last fifty years. Well, It has, but for the worse. I found a copy for $1.00 at the charity shop. It definitely suffered because I've been reading Jane Austen, but the quality of writing is a valid point by itself. It's a shame, really. Somewhere, buried in CB's gothic exaggeration and purple prose, there's a lively story. It was even successful in its time, more successful than the equally famous novels by her sisters. It has the usual flaws of a first published novel, with obvious self-insertion and flaws of timing common to beginning writers. Dickens had been publishing for ten years at the time, and the theme of the maltreated orphan was classic anyway. Unlike Jane Austen's usual, Charlotte Bronte didn't

SPOILER FOR A 200 YEAR OLD BOOK

have her main character marry the clergyman, though the option was offered and I'm sure her first readership expected it to happen.

All three Bronte novels have strong female main characters, but very different approaches. Wuthering Heights has the most gothic plot, and the most despicable characters. In my opinion The Tenant of Wildfell Hall has the best heroine, who manages to escape a bad situation with intelligent planning. If you absolutely must read a Bronte novel, I suggest The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Interesting. I have always found the narrative of Jayne Eyre highly improbable, yet compelling at the same time and I can understand why it was so popular when published and through the years.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Oh, absolutely! The Eyre Affair makes it worth having trudged through the original. I'm not too keen on the way the rest of that series went, but the first book is fine as a standalone, and I like the two Nursery Crimes books.

User Menu

Newsletter