Johnny books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Good stuff Author. I enjoyed these books with Only you can save Mankind as my favourite of the three. Jonny and the Bomb is a good Time travel book though and a good use of the whole trouser leg of time concept :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I wonder if Only You Can Save Mankind is a little dated now. It seems to me that sort of computer game is very 'old school' now. o_O Maybe I'm wrong - I enjoyed all three books. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Oddly enough i don't think its dated in the sense that its a computer game drawing him in. If it was a film it would have dated awfully but not as much in book form. Maybe the younger members will disagree :rolleyes:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
pip said:
Oddly enough i don't think its dated in the sense that its a computer game drawing him in. If it was a film it would have dated awfully but not as much in book form. Maybe the younger members will disagree :rolleyes:
I believe it (Jonny and the Bomb) was a tv series from the BBC back in 2006 but I only caught part of it. Did anyone else watch it?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Penfold said:
pip said:
I believe it (Jonny and the Bomb) was a tv series from the BBC back in 2006 but I only caught part of it. Did anyone else watch it?
I believe ramtopsman has it on his YouTube site. ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Penfold said:
pip said:
But i was talking about Only you can save mankind which wasn't made . I have Johnny and the Bomb on DVD and quite like it. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well I've recently reread Only You Can Save Mankind and Johnny and the Dead. I think that the last time I read them was when they first came out. It was quite a revelation to read them again. :laugh:

Only You Can Save Mankind seems to have a subplot about how killing on computer games has changed the way we look at real warfare. The story seems to be taking place during Operation Desert Storm. I can still remember watching the war on CNN and the so-called Smart Bombs that we were told could destroy a building with pin-point accuracy. Watching the war unfold on TV seemed to have a certain unreal feel about it - like a computer game.

Johnny and the Dead is partly an anti-religion book (surprise :laugh: ). The dead are staying close to their graves waiting for the Day of Judgement instead of experiencing life - or the afterlife. There are some familiar themes in there that a Discworld reader would certainly recognise. The ultimate message, that cemeteries are for the living, not the dead, is a good and well thought out one.

I don't think I've given the stories away. If you haven't read the Johnny books, they are well worth a look. :laugh:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Penfold said:
pip said:

Yes, I saw it. It was good. I have all the books & the audio c/d of Johnny & the Bomb.

Alanz

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2012
The only one out of the three that i'm having trouble getting hold of is Johnny and the Bomb,
but the other two were great,I'll probably get round to reading it one day soon. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter