Kindle deal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Rats, I don't have a Kindle. I'm happy enough with my hardbacks and paperbacks (yes, I'm a dinosaur). ;)

I guess Kindles are lighter to carry than an actual book, but since my eyesight is bad (and getting a little worse, I noticed), it's good to have an actual hardback because the print is larger and easier to read. (I also like how an actual book feels in my hand, and turning the pages etc., but that's another story) ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Rath! Kindles mimic the colour of the book page and you can increase or decrease the font size with a tap on the screen, with some of the heaftier books 1,000 plus pages it is easier to hold for lengthy periods.
or you can download free from amazon the app for PC, tablet or phone.
I have a paperwhite model they are really good, also there are so many books to download for free from Amazon and other sites.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Rath, I used to be a person that would never use a Kindle. But now I physically cannot open a book or hold one for any length of time. Now I have a Kindle and the app on both my laptop and PC as well as on my phone. The size of the text can be enlarged and all of the devices are synced to each other. I mostly read on my phone.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, I don't know. Can a Kindle mimic the way an old hardback's spine creaks a little when it opens? Can it give you that "new book" smell (or the musty "second-hand" book smell)? Can it rustle the pages when you turn them, or insert a bookmark?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a "smart donkey" by asking all these questions. I'm just curious. :) I've seen Kindles years ago and they didn't have all these "features", but maybe they do now. :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Yes you can insert a bookmark look up an unfamiliar word, make a note without leaving the page. I don't like my hardcover's creaking too much it means the glue on the spine is weakening leading to pages coming loose. My pages don't rustle when turned over (I buy the quiet version ;)) and for the rest, yes it's called imagination all in the mind's eye.:mrgreen:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh. It even has a thesaurus of its own? ;) What happens if you look up a word that's not in the thesaurus -- can you insert the word into the thesaurus (ooh err) look up the meaning in an online dictionary, and type in the meaning?

Just wondering, because the "text" feature on my phone lets me do that.

I quickly looked up some prices in 3 different stores, and found that Kindles can vary between $139 and $499 (78.90 to 283.24 GBP, or 107.93 to 387.46 USD). I presume the price range has to do with storage capacity -- i.e. the more gigabytes you get, the more you pay? How does that compare with the UK/USA?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yep, I know Project Gutenberg well. I've downloaded some books (not ebooks) from there. Thanks, Tony! :)

Dug, that's a good point about sunshine. I'd almost forgot about that -- it'd be blinding, obviously.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
As sunshine does not affect reading a book outside, neither does reading one on a kindle of all the readers it is ranked the best, also lots of free e -books on Amazon and sites like book funnel latest ones all genre's, I have downloaded quite a few some really good ones, I have found a few new favourite authors.:mrgreen:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. The only chance I get to read a book outside (i.e. not at home, in the office or what have you) is on public transport (on the way to/from work, or on the way to/from rehearsals).

Given that rush-hour trains are invariably packed to the rafters, I hardly ever get a chance to even open my bag, let alone produce a book. =\ So I don't think a Kindle will help, there. Also, obviously I won't be able to read while walking to/from the train station -- and the last thing I want is for someone to bump me on a moving train, causing me to drop the Kindle and have it smash. :( Fixing electronic screens is very expensive -- I know that from experience, having twice smashed my mobile screen before I wised up and bought a leather case for it.

I could get a leather case for the Kindle, I suppose, but that would invalidate the point of having it because I couldn't see the screen. ;)

Oh well ...

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
my feelings against kindles have lessened over the years probably since I have a lot less shelf space now and see how space-saving they are
my Mom has one and I'm not sure what type of stories she reads but they have a lot of half-naked muscular men on the covers

User Menu

Newsletter