LOTR - the Sackville-Baggins family

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I just discovered something I didn't know. :) Anyone who's read LOTR is probably familiar with the Sackville-Baggins family, a generally nasty family of hobbits. They're wealthy, greedy, and can't wait to get their hands on Bag End, Bilbo's and Frodo's house.

I was aware that the Sackville family is very real, but I wasn't aware that they were also involved in three distinct and famous scandals:

1. The cowardice of George Germain, 1st Viscount Sackville (during the Seven Years War, in the mid-1700s);
2. The illegitimacy case that shocked and titillated 19th-century London; and
3. The Murchison letter, which led to the downfall of Grover Cleveland.

So, did Tolkien 'borrow' the Sackville name to create the Sackville-Bagginses? ;) It seems likely to me -- after all, he'd probably have been familiar with at least the latter two scandals, if not all three. What do you think? :)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Certainly possible. But I was amused and disturbed to learn that Lady Idina Sackville was part of the 'Happy Valley' group in Kenya. I know of this notoriously hedonistic and salacious group of British expats because I read about the murder of her former husband (whom she eloped with, I should add) Lord Erroll in 1941. It was in the book A Question of Evidence by Colin Evans. That's a brilliant book, BTW, about forensic controversies...

User Menu

Newsletter