Maurice in 22

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sigh. I can't see it -- all I can see is an error message, as follows:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from skygroup.sky (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
It won't let me go any further. :(

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes. Why are they all grinning in that cutesy way? :|

TAMAHER is not cutesy, and it's certainly not nice. Hrrrrr.

Where are the antagonists (rat-catchers, townsfolk, mayor etc.) to inject some spice here? ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
First they have to get the average American to agree that rats can be cute. It's been a long time since The Secret of NIMH, and some time since Ratatouille.
Later in the show we can get the contrast between our heroes and the non-magically-enhanced rats. I am snarling at the clothing - Darktan wore a harness to carry his weaponry, but otherwise clothing got caught on things. I guess the striped thing they put on Dangerous Beans is supposed to make him look like an old testament prophet.
I haven't checked the book, but more pictures have been released, and darn it, I don't recall Malicia being red-haired. I was happy that a heroine had brown hair, like probably 80% of the world.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. I tried looking Malicia up in my handy-dandy "Turtle Recall", but she's not there. There's some illustration-y goodness on this tumblr page, but it makes her ginger (but without the freckles). So I can't recall if she has brown hair.

Tiffany Aching definitely has brown hair -- she's even illustrated that way -- so if the TWFM film gives her anything else, I'll facepalm. :(

What do you mean by Darktan's clothing, by the way? In the picture above, he has nothing more than a couple of harnesses and pins. :)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Why do rats need any clothing at all? *shrug* In a film I suppose they help the audience differentiate. They'll say "Oh yeah, vest! Nourishing", or "Babushka? Peaches".

It'd be nice if it didn't need to be done, but that's the reality.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I suspect it is done for viewers not familiar with the book. The individual rats can be easily identified by the scraps of clothing they have on, in the film. The Babushka may be to identify Peaches as a female.

We were fortunate enough to get an interview with Andrew Baker, one of the producers, for the Australian Discworld Convention Virtual Hogswatch event last month. He is a big fan, and very enthusiastic, and that gives me a lot of hope for the project. He also did show off the above character designs (and possibly one or two more) and talked through the decisions made for each character (including giving them clothing - which is, as was pointed out, to make them easier to identify visually, especially for younger viewers).

We do have a recording of the interview and hope to put it up on our Youtube channel in the next month or so: https://www.youtube.com/c/AusdwconOrg

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
I immediately clicked on "washing your hands with nanny ogg" and was not disappointed. xD If I ever make it to Australia, I need to do it in time for Nullus Anxietas.

Anyway, thanks for the link! I'll check out the interview when you upload! :love:

User Menu

Newsletter