Monstrous Regiment and Miyazaki

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
That's an interesting take on NW. I tend to go with "he really did go into the past" because this is Discworld and he had to deal with the differences. Also, Carcer was there, making changes, and the Monks of Time were fixing things.
I got "flash sideways" from Monstrous Regiment, where one character was getting flashes of an alternate universe war with some emotional connections. Although others heard what they said, nobody else had the flashes and they didn't actually go there except mentally.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I agree with Tamar. Flashbacks or "flash-sideways" are internal thoughts or memories generally only experienced by the people who experienced the event. Night Watch is a true time travel story. Vimes isn't in the present "remembering" the alternate past that occurred. He was there.

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
There are excellent flash-sideways in WA—I didn’t realise at first that Tempscire is a literal translation of Weatherwax, but the whole thing about Lily forcing Granny to be “the good one” and have no fun, while seeming terribly nice, works very well.

And I like the send-up of aeroplanes—Three Witches Airborne, etc.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
There are excellent flash-sideways in WA—I didn’t realise at first that Tempscire is a literal translation of Weatherwax, but the whole thing about Lily forcing Granny to be “the good one” and have no fun, while seeming terribly nice, works very well.
Umm, I don't quite remember any real "flashes-sideways" in WA. When was anybody internally experiencing a movie style flashback?

User Menu

Newsletter