SPOILERS Moving Pictures Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
True. I started reading Asimov when I was 6 or 7* (his astronomy books for youngsters)**, and was always discovering new Asimovian delights. I started with his analysis of Gulliver's Travels, then moved on to his space-based mystery stories, as well as the Black Widowers and Union Club mysteries, and a collection of humourous stories...

Strangely enough, for an Asimovian geek like me, I could never get into Asimovian sci-fi stories - although, of course, I am aware of the Three Laws of Robotics.***

Anyway, that concludes this unusually-footnote-rich post! :laugh:

** I remember being terrified as a 7-year-old to read about black holes. Nowadays, of course, I know that a black hole exists on earth, and it sucks up time and money without releasing much in return: it's called Parliament.

*** You know - the ones that Pterry had so much fun with in Going Postal. You know the ones. :twisted:

amogaspode

Mar 8, 2019
I see no one has commented here in a while, but I have a question with this book I hope someone can help me with. No spoilers involved.

You know how Pterry uses different words for things in his books? Like banged grains for popcorn? Well, what would be our word for "Clicks"? I have read this book at least 4 times (just finished it again this morning), and this never bothered me (because I think I knew what that word was) - but age is creeping up on me and I can't remember - and it's making me crazy. Help please...

:confused:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I concur - "The Flicks" was one of the first nicknames for the cinema. In this case flicks is for flickering lights while clicks are for the sound the projector/camera make as the handle is turned. :)

amogaspode

Mar 8, 2019
Thanks for the answers. "Flicks" has to be it, though it still doesn't sound right in my head. But then there are days when I spell "the" and it looks wrong too. Maybe my head is broken... ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thanks for the answers. "Flicks" has to be it, though it still doesn't sound right in my head. But then there are days when I spell "the" and it looks wrong too. Maybe my head is broken... ;)
Ha! No, you are not alone! I remember writing the word "are" and being convinced it didn't look right.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
It might be semantic satiation, or that might be when you hear a word so many times it sounds like gibberish - maybe the written version is called the same. It was on QI, but I don't remember when.

User Menu

Newsletter