Mrs. Bradshaw's Handbook

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Fragus

Constable
Aug 2, 2012
Milton Keynes
www.leutyworld.co.uk
WH Smith have a yellow edition (collectors) as well as the standard Red covered version. Oh and they are both the same inside. It's just the cover. One day I will work out how to display pictures that fit the screen :doh:

Yay... did it... Phew

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I have a question about this book...

I went to a local bookstore here in Aussie-land, bought myself a copy when this book came out in 2014, and enjoyed it very much. :) However, while looking through The Discworld Emporium, I discovered that if I bought the book through them, I would have received a share certificate from the Ankh-Morpork Railway Company. (It looks like this.)

However, I never received any such thing when I bought the book. o_O

Is the stock certificate some kind of promotional material, exclusive to The Discworld Emporium? Or.... what's going on? o_O

Now, suddenly, I have a mental picture of the bookstore clerks hoarding these "stock certificates" in a back-room somewhere, insanely giggling and saying "MINE! ALL MINE! WE GOTS THEM FOR OUR BIRTHDAY PRESENT, WE DID!" and so on. :rolleyes:

Any ideas? ;)

RathDarkblade said:
Is the stock certificate some kind of promotional material, exclusive to The Discworld Emporium?
Not sure I'd call it 'promotional' per se, but the stock certificate is exclusive to the Emporium. I buy an awful lot of stuff from there (they produce the stamps and I'm a Flatelist), and I bought the Handbook from them for that reason. (Among other DW collectibles, my poor credit card :laugh: :laugh: )

The Discworld Emporium quite often do a little bit of printed material extra if you buy stuff from them - this would include the rail share. Other times it's been a postcard or a bookmark or other bits and pieces. Always exclusive to the Emporium.

I usually don't bother because it's so expensive to do it that way from Australia - what with the pounds-to-dollars conversion, and then factoring in shipping.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
True. The GBP-to-$AUS has always been atrocious, and then when you stack P&H on top of that, it becomes atrocious. :( I ordered two books from Folio Society yesterday, and they cost me not too far short of $200. :eek:

Oh well... it's probably a once-in-a-year transaction... :| And besides - BOOKS! :mrgreen: Yes, all right, I'm a bibliophile. Sorry. :oops:

phalarope said:
RathDarkblade said:
Is the stock certificate some kind of promotional material, exclusive to The Discworld Emporium?
Not sure I'd call it 'promotional' per se, but the stock certificate is exclusive to the Emporium. I buy an awful lot of stuff from there (they produce the stamps and I'm a Flatelist), and I bought the Handbook from them for that reason. (Among other DW collectibles, my poor credit card :laugh: :laugh: )
Why does "flatelist" sound vaguely rude? ;) It also sounds like you play the flute - but I think that would make you what North Americans call a "flutist" or what everyone else calls a "flautist". ;)

But if you collect stamps, phalarope, I presume you mean "philatelist". (Sorry - I'm a word nerd) :ugeek:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
So I started reading this book again -- and I noticed a bunch of things I didn't notice before. Did you? :)

For instance:

1. On pg. 16, in the description of the First Class, Terry writes "...the purchase of a seat in this class includes space in the luggage van for the accommodation of trunks and servants." I don't know enough about how trains used to be in Roundworld, but was it ever like this -- i.e. the servants of rich people would travel in the luggage van, with trunks and suitcases? That would be a really bumpy ride. They'd have bruises, at least. :( Wouldn't they travel in second class, or (at worst) third?

2. The illustrations are very funny. :) Not sure if Terry drew them or if it was Peter Dennis (who provided additional illustrations) - but the advertisements are always funny. Examine pg. 19, for instance - Verity Pushpram offers "Frites de Mare". I think someone was confused, since "frites" means "fried" ('pommes frites' is 'fried potato chips"). So is Verity fish and chips now? ;)

3. Page 22 talks about the goblins running the clocks at New Ankh Station. I looked at the illustration, and the clocks are very high, indeed. That leads to me to think -- how did the goblins get there? How will they get down? What do they do in their off-time? Do goblins even get some off-time?

4. On page 29, we are introduced to Mrs Staines "Tracklements". From the description, these include all kinds of pickled things (onions, eggs, plum, cabbage), as well as chutney, mustard and vinegar.

I've never heard the word "Tracklements" before, so I looked it up. It seems it's a British word, but rare, and means "A savoury condiment (for example a mustard, relish or chutney), especially one served with meat" (thank you, Wikitionary). ;)

Is the word "Tracklements" more common in the UK? I've never come across it before reading this book. Hooray for new words! :)

5. On pg. 44, Terry mentions "...the snowy summit of Para Mountain." I knew this reminded me of something, but I just couldn't think what -- until I thought, "Para Mountain, Para Mount -- Paramount Pictures"??? :)

And of course, the logo of Paramount Pictures is indeed a mountain with a snowy summit. Observe (from Encyclopedia Britannica). Was this intentional? I think so! :)

6. Oh, one more thing ... on page 34, we learn that the Pushpram Winkle Stall offers "a pint of fresh winkles" as a "nourishing and economical meal ... pins supplied".

I swear this must be a UK thing -- I've seen this in Terry's books before (and I've heard it in one of the Two Ronnies songs). I know that winkles are a type of shellfish, but I don't eat seafood often (and never had winkles). So what's the connection between winkles and pins all about? *shrug*

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm enjoying this book very much. Just thought I'd ask about random things. ;)

Last edited:

User Menu

Newsletter