Nac Mac Feegles

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
I read today again Wee free men in the german version. The dialect sounds quite north german, and because I am from Berlin it feels quite familiar to me. I think they could have gone even more north with the dialect. There are areas in baltic sea Germany, where the people roll the r and even in middle Europe are quite a lot gingers:mrgreen:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Ginger hair is quite common in England, Iceland and Norway, I think. Am I right?

Just wondering, by the way: I know a little Russian, and in Russian, "Katinka" is short for "Ekatrina", and "koschka" means "cat". :) Is there a story there? *curious*

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
Just wondering, by the way: I know a little Russian, and in Russian, "Katinka" is short for "Ekatrina", and "koschka" means "cat". :) Is there a story there? *curious*
My real first name is Katrin, I like cats very much and my grandma was born in Russia. Also I think koschka sounds more nice than the german word Katze. ;) So I chose it as nick. :)

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
I tend to read it as Glaswegian. But it isn't.
Part of the "joke"" is Glaswegian--think Rab C Nesbit staggering away from a bar brawl--but it's mainly supposed to be various parts of very non-urban Scots as well.

Sometimes I wonder how foreign people get that sort of very thick dialect into their languages by translation

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
You would on Captain Carrot. ;)

I always get mildly annoyed by the fact that he's originally called "Carrot" because of his shape, but two books or so later, probably because of some sort of morphic resonance with the reason most people called Carrot are called Carrot he is, yes, a redhead

User Menu

Newsletter