SPOILERS Nanny Ogg Character Discussion

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
This week we will be discussing Nanny Ogg. I've had mixed feelings in the past regarding her, but I've come to like her a lot more once I've realised what a complex character she is. I think we can get into her friendship with Granny and her version of witchcraft compared to other Discworld witches.

As with previous discussion, this thread is marked "SPOILERS". This means that all Discworld related stories that pertain to Nanny can be discussed here. If you haven't read the books, then be warned.

I'm going to post a link here to the Wiki on Nanny Ogg, rather than huge blocks of text on her. That way you can dip in and out of the Wiki and maybe critique what the Wiki contributors have published.

Over to you all.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I always liked Nanny's calming influence on Granny. As Nanny says in Maskerade, Granny had all the big scenes, and Nanny often had to sort out the mess afterwards. :)

I thought Nanny was almost as good (if not just as good) at persykology/headology as Granny was, at least when it came to Granny's own headology. In other words, Nanny was good at getting Granny to do things that Nanny wanted her to do. :) (For instance, in Maskerade: go to A-M in the first place, get tickets to the opera, become a "patron"). Also, Nanny had many, MANY fun scenes on her own - e.g. serving the chocolate pudding at the luncheon (with extra sauce, Gytha Ogg, may you be forgiven), and dancing in the ballet. *LOL*

But Nanny Ogg also had a ... it's difficult to know how to describe it - she had a way with people. It was easy to confide in her, and she always knew what to say. (In a way, she reminds me of Granny Aching - and my gran too, gods rest her soul). :cry:

In short, I like Gytha Ogg very much. She's a very fun character on her own, but she's certainly no Granny Weatherwax - nor would she want to, as she says in Carpe Jugulum. But both Nanny and Granny offset each other pretty well (and of course, they needed a younger witch for Granny to push around and bully. That set up Granny a treat). :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I liked Nanny she was the life and soul of the party, enjoyed a pint or three, liked a smoke and when younger did not think twice about chasing the men, she was the Ying to Granny W's Yang and always up for a laugh.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I see Nanny as a sort of guardian character. She's always on the lookout for Granny becoming too introverted. She even cooks up (literally) an excuse for the two of them to go to Ankh-Morpork in Maskerade, basically as an excuse to get Granny's mind off of dark brooding. She knows how potentially dangerous a Granny who has gotten tired of stupid people, could be to all concerned, so she distracts and keeps Granny grounded.

Nanny may play the simpleton, but she is far from it. As Granny has said - in some ways Gytha is a better witch than her. Nanny is much better at people than Granny and Granny admires that about her, knowing that she couldn't be like that herself.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Of all the witches in the DW canon, Nanny is perhaps tne "anti-witch." Unlike Granny, Magrat (at least in the first book), Ms. Tick, and most of the other witches, Nanny doesn't live alone in the typical witch cottage in the middle of the woods. Unlike most of the witches, she's not a loner (even Tiffany, for all of her support from her parents, is still, ultimately, alone). She doesn't scare people (at least not in the traditional witch way). She's a matriarchal figure representing a long matriarchal tradition. She fits in socially with just about anyone. She's about the last person who would ever become a "cackler." Whereas most witches avoid romantic entanglements, Nanny relishes the ones she's had and is always upon to others, as long as they're on her terms.

It's really hard to tell sometimes what her "magic" really is, since she's so grounded in the "midwife/healer" role that when she does use magic it's incredibly subtle. She truly is the "mother" of the witches' triad.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Incidentally, what do you think is the funniest Nanny "scene" in the canon?

I just *love* the extended luncheon scene in "Maskerade". Not only do we see Nanny at work, we also get an insight into Mr Bucket, Mr Salzella, and Walter Plinge (in the kitchen, trying ineffectually to get the octopus off the ceiling). ;) Granny Weatherwax works the room as well as she usually does. And the piece de resistance is Nanny's chocolate pudding, the reaction to which is hilarious. "With extra sauce, Gytha Ogg, may you be forgiven." *LOL* (My goodness - just thinking of that scene makes me laugh so hard, I'm crying).

As for Granny - I always loved her "card-playing" scene on the boat in "Witches Abroad", where she wins Nanny's broom back (and then some). It's a tour de force, where she shows off just how fearsome she can be. Don't mess with Granny, indeed! :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I still chuckle at the Hotel Nova Cancies. It reminds me of my English friend who thought there was a chain of hotels in Wales called Hotel Gwesty. It's because of bilingual signs: Gwesty is Welsh for Hotel.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I just had an idea while watching something silly. ;) Remember that scene, towards the end of Maskerade, when Nanny is on stage dancing with the ballerinas? Well ... perhaps Pterry got the idea after watching the Mistake Waltz by Chopin. Have a look:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Whoops! *blush* You're absolutely right, Tony. The music is Chopin's, but the ballet is Robbins's. :) Thanks.

I suggested the ballet for two reasons: one, the scene in Maskerade (where Nanny dances) is a ballet; and two, the dancers in Maskerade are annoyed with Nanny (who "gets it wrong"), and the dancers in Robbins's ballet keep correcting the dancer who gets it wrong. :)

As for the Royal Variety Performance - yes, it does look much more like Nanny Ogg! *L* As raisindot and others have commented in other threads, it isn't kind to laugh at overweight people. In this case, though, I think the performers are in on the joke. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter