New Discworld Audios

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have listened to an except with Bill Nightly reading Hogfather, I still prefer Stephen Briggs et all for the readings, so I won't be buying them. but here are some more info on the the others.

Nighy will be part of a star-studded re-recording of all 40 Discworld audiobooks from Penguin Random House, which will see narrators read nearly four million words in total, over almost 150 days in the studio, to result in more than 400 hours of finished audio. Indira Varma, of Game of Thrones fame, will be narrating Pratchett’s books about his trio of witches, Fleabag’s Sian Clifford will narrate the titles in which Death plays a major role, and Andy Serkis will narrate Small Gods, with more casting to be announced.
Bill Nighy as the voice of Terry Pratchett in the footnotes by Penguin Books UK (soundcloud.com)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I'm underwhelmed. I heard a two minute audio of someone reading one of the Witches' books and it sounded like Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter movies. Straight reading, perfect English, no inflection or humor at all. And frankly I don't get into the idea of multiple readers vocalizing different characters in an audiobook. Briggs and Planer did all the voices themselves, and most of the time they were either spot on or close to being spot on.

Inna Bun

Lance-Constable
Dec 28, 2021
While I wouldn’t discourage development of any Discworld project true to the originals, I have to wonder why *this* was chosen off what surely must be an L-space heap of potential project candidates. Given we already HAVE absolutely delightful unabridged versions from Planer, Briggs, and Imrie it seems a miscalculation of CMOT proportions.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. Perhaps these would lead people to the Planer, Briggs and Imrie recordings? *shrug*

I have an idea: how about dramatisations (e.g. like the ones the BBC did, with full cast, music and sound effects?) :) For instance, the BBC did ones for Mort, Small Gods, Night Watch and so on. But there are only seven or eight of them, IIRC (including the brilliant "Good Omens").

Well, why not do dramatisations of the other books? :) Please, Narrativia? Pretty please with strawberries (and a cherry on top)? :mrgreen:

If it doesn't work out ... oh, well. It was just an idea. *shrug*

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Hmm. Perhaps these would lead people to the Planer, Briggs and Imrie recordings? *shrug*

I have an idea: how about dramatisations (e.g. like the ones the BBC did, with full cast, music and sound effects?) :) For instance, the BBC did ones for Mort, Small Gods, Night Watch and so on. But there are only seven or eight of them, IIRC (including the brilliant "Good Omens").
Yuck. I've totally avoided all the recorded dramatizations, which, so far seem, to have been totally panned. And I don't think the new audiobooks will lead people to the Planer and Briggs versions. For one thing, I would think that when most people one audiobook version they don't tend to buy another one, unless the first one is terrible (i.e., read by Celie Imrie) or abridged. Also, my guess is that the new ones are going to replace the old Planer and Briggs versions on places like Audible. Right now in the U.S. you can no longer get many of the Planer and Briggs versions. Thank goodness I already have most of the ones I want, but I worry about authorization, because every time I download to a new portable device (like an iPod) Audible requires me to "reauthorize" them online so they'll play. I will be really angry if Audible removes the ones I paid for from my library.

Inna Bun

Lance-Constable
Dec 28, 2021
I haven’t jumped on the ‘cloud-based’ bandwagon for just these concerns. Already too many things are being edited by twitchy revisionist media conglomerates anxious to update history to their liking or profit-seeking end. These new recordings as a prime example.

Over the eons I’ve accumulated nearly all of the good old fashioned CDs. Usually just as the books were released and available at least a short time before going digital only. Locked in the safe next to my precious (few) first editions after being ported to my own hard drives for everyday listening. I think my Last Hero was digital only for some reason but otherwise in the aftermarket perhaps? Places like ebay?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yuck. I've totally avoided all the recorded dramatizations, which, so far seem, to have been totally panned.
That's up to you. I, for one, ignored the negative reviews and purchased the BBC-radio dramatisations, and they all turned out to be excellent. :)

BBC always does good radio-drama. Witness, for instance, how well they've done it with LOTR, HHGTTG, various Agatha Christie books or Philip Marlowe books, and so on. :)

Also, my guess is that the new ones are going to replace the old Planer and Briggs versions on places like Audible. Right now in the U.S. you can no longer get many of the Planer and Briggs versions. Thank goodness I already have most of the ones I want, but I worry about authorization, because every time I download to a new portable device (like an iPod) Audible requires me to "reauthorize" them online so they'll play. I will be really angry if Audible removes the ones I paid for from my library.
Dug and Inna Bun offered two solutions, and all I can do is second their words. I still have the original CDs of many dramatisations and audiobooks that I purchased.

I never used Audible because I already have the recordings I like (as above), and don't need any more. But from what you've said, raisindot, I don't think I want to try Audible either. They sound like a horde of unethical bums. *grumble*

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Download/ copy them to your computer raisindot so you will always have access.:mrgreen:
Dug, they're already on my computer. The problem is if you transfer them to another computer or try to install them on a mobile device (at least on my various iPods), a message comes up requiring me to authorize them. I then need to login to the Audible account where I purchased them (I used several different Audible accounts over the years to buy different books) to authorize them. It's a pain in the keester, particularly because either Audible or Itunes doesn't allow you to play books on an iDevice from more than two different accounts.

Inna Bun

Lance-Constable
Dec 28, 2021
"+++ Whoops! Here Comes The Cheese! +++MELON MELON MELON +++
Error At Address: 14, Treacle Mine Road, AnkhMorpork+++ !!!!! +++Oneoneoneoneoneone
+++ Redo From Start +++" - Hex at Hogswatch

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Dug, they're already on my computer. The problem is if you transfer them to another computer or try to install them on a mobile device (at least on my various iPods), a message comes up requiring me to authorize them. I then need to login to the Audible account where I purchased them (I used several different Audible accounts over the years to buy different books) to authorize them. It's a pain in the keester, particularly because either Audible or Itunes doesn't allow you to play books on an iDevice from more than two different accounts.
Bit of a bugger that raisin, I have mine on four devices no login etc. required except when I log into the main website. but they do say once you have bought them you own them, so they should not be able to delete them from your account. I think it may be an apple thing trying to restrict you, they don't like sharing or you buying from competitors.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
OH I RECOGNIZE HIS VOICE!! He read the anniversary edition of Moonraker and he did a phenomenal job. I love Nighy's voice. Might give some of them a go, then. I have trouble with some of Nigel Planer's ones because I very specifically don't like his voice for Vimes. XD (which is a problem because... he's my favourite character in all of fiction in the history of humanity ever) Planer does do a better Nobby & Colon though, I think. But tbh, Briggs and Planer are both 5-star-narrators and I'm interested to see what the cast of the new audios will do with it!!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Are they available yet? XD
Here is the dates Cheery.
These new recordings will be published over the next two years as Discworld subseries: Witches (April 2022), Wizards (July 2022), Death (October 2022), Moist von Lipwig (February 2023) and City Watch and Tiffany Aching (April 2023). The standalone titles – Pyramids, Small Gods, The Truth,Moving Pictures, The Amazing Maurice and Monstrous Regiment – will also be published. A very special Christmas edition of The Hogfather read by Sian Clifford will publish early in December 2021.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter