SPOILERS Night Watch Discussion *spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

sleam

Jan 26, 2014
Hello,
what exactly means " Besides, I know she's been up in Small Gods these past ten years. " (around page 110)

in Czech translation it says young Sam's mom is dead and buried at the cemetery of Small Gods,
which doesn't make any sense why is he trying to get his older self home for visit, tee and food.

thank you

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, sleam! :)

You are talking about Nightwatch I assume? Older Sam is talking about his mother in his time having been dead for ten years and buried in Small Gods Cemetery. When he goes back in time, the younger version of his mother is still alive. He doesn't want to see her because he wants to remember her how she was and would probably find meeting her unsettling after having seen her dead.

Young Sam wanting older Sam to meet her has more to do with young Sam being naïve and not understanding that taking your sergeant home was not the sort of thing you would do.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Slantaholic said:
I wonder how dead. He's a copper, and I'm not sure what state she would have to have died in in order for Sam Vimes not ever want to see his mum again alive, younger, healthier, and happy. *pets poor Sam*
That's assuming that she was healthier and happy... younger Sam had just gotten the job and they were dirt poor. Also, he'd have had to resist trying to prevent her death, arranging for better lodging, more food money, etc., all things prohibited by the rules of the situation.

Slantaholic

Lance-Corporal
Jun 1, 2013
UK
www.fanfiction.net
I realised that he might be overcome with emotion.
Tamar wrote:
arranging for better lodging, more food money
He changed the entire strategy of the barricades! The revolution was larger, there were more free steaks and food - I'd bet wherever Ms Vimes was, she got the better end of it!

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
The first time I read “Night Watch” I liked it but couldn’t get many things because when published in Spanish I already didn’t remember a lot about the other Watch books, but now that I’m rereading the whole series I’ve love it for many reasons that you have already said.

At the beginning it’s like… What happens with Carrot, Detritus and all the guys? I wanted to read about them! But during the book I appreciated learning more about other characters past like for example Nobby. When knowing all the things his father did him… I couldn’t believe it. It caught my breath reading this:

“He heard the sound of sobbing from further along the barricade. It wasn’t young Sam, he knew, and Nobby Nobbs had probably cried all the tears a body was capable of some time ago.
It’s a miracle that after all Nobby has his little heart. :mrgreen:

I loved the nonstop surprising things that happen all the time: the time travel, how Vimes takes charge of the situation and helps the barricades, the promotions of Carcer, the end…

As you’ve said, NW is not one of the funniest novels, the criticisms to how the government and conspiracies work are hard, but I couldn’t stop smiling and laughing with parts like this:

“There was a tradition, once, far back in the past, called the King of the Bean. A special dish was severed to all the men of the clan on certain day of the year. It contained one small hard-baked bean, and whoever got the bean was, possibly after some dental attention, hailed as king. It was quite an inexpensive system, and it worked well, probably because the clever little bald men who actually ran things and paid some attention to possible candidates were experts at palming a bean into a right bowl.

And while crop ripened and the tribe thrived and the land was fertile, the king thrived, too. But when, in the fullness of time, crops failed and the ice came back and animals were inexplicably barren, the clever little bald men sharpened their long knives, which were mostly used to cutting mistletoe.

And on the due night, one of them went his cave and carefully baked one small bean.

Of course, that was before people were civilized. These days, no one had to eat beans.
Amazing, isn’t it? Could be more said in so less?

And The Beast… Wow, Pratchett perfectly reflects this animal part that all of us have inside when we get angry and hate.

When we break down, it all breaks down. You can bend it, and if you make it hot enough you can bend it in a circle, but you can’t break it. When you break it, it all breaks down until there’s nothing unbroken. […] There was the Beast, all around him. And that’s all it was. A beast. Useful, but still a beast. You could hold it on a chain, and make it dance, and juggle balls. It didn’t think. It was dumb. What you were, what you were, was not The Beast.
What else can I say? I’m anxious to reread “Thud!”.

Mx

Aug 28, 2014
I apollogize in advance if this is common knowledge, but did you know there is a difference between US and UK versions in these books? There is a bit of text, I think it was in one of the speeches Sweeper gives to Vimes, that goes different in the two versions. I first noticed it a couple of years ago when a German site listing translation errors in Discworld books pointed this out. They were quite puzzled about it, and since I have the US version of Night Watch, I was able to check, and it is true. Does anybody have the full text from both versions? I'm affraid I don't have the British version of NW. =)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
NineTenthsMadness said:
did you know there is a difference between US and UK versions in these books?
Not just Night Watch. There are significant differences between the US and UK versions of The Truth.

NineTenthsMadness said:
There is a bit of text, I think it was in one of the speeches Sweeper gives to Vimes, that goes different in the two versions.[snip] Does anybody have the full text from both versions? I'm affraid I don't have the British version of NW. =)
The only differences I found in a quick look-through are fairly small, though not insignificant.

US h/c edition p.198 "...some kind of time shifters? I'd get locked up!"
UK h/c edition p.216 "...some kind of time shifters? I'd get locked up! Who are you, anyway?"

US h/c p.200 "Astonishing," said Qu. "I don't know how you manage it."
UK h/c p.219 "Astonishing," said Qu. "He's part of the pattern now. I don't know how you manage it."

Here, Vimes has just been given back his cigar case by the dancing monks:

US h/c p.214 "The world moved. Vimes still felt like a drifting ship. But at the end of the tether there was now the tug of the anchor, pulling the ship around so that it faced the current."
UK h/c p.233 "The world moved. But now Vimes no longer felt like a drifting ship. Now, he felt the tug of the anchor, pulling him round to face the rising tide."

The "rising tide" has more meaning in context, as it is during the barricade-building scene, and the rising tide of resistance is happening.
That sort of thing is the reason I have bought both editions for some years now. It's getting harder to get the UK hardcovers now, and the last few I checked were identical. I'm hoping that the US editors have realized how foolish it is to make those little "I'm proving I'm an editor" changes, but it's a faint hope.

Aug 28, 2014
I've just skimmed my Haper Collins paperback edition, and the change that`s supposed to be between the versions is on page 83.

"[...]We want the future where Vimes is a good copper. Not the other one."
"But it must've happened!" snapped Vimes. "I told you, I can remember it! I was there yesterday!"
"Nice try, but that doesn't mean anything anymore," said the monk. "Trust me. Yes, it`s happened to you, but even though it has, it might not. 'Cos of quantum. Right now, there isn't a Commander Vimes-shaped hole in the future to drop you into. It's officially Uncertain. But might not be, if you do it right. You owe it to yourself, Commander. Right now, out there, Sam Vimes is learning to be a very bad copper indeed. And he learns fast."
I don't have the text that is in the British version in its place, unfortunately.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
NineTenthsMadness said:
I've just skimmed my Haper Collins paperback edition, and the change that`s supposed to be between the versions is on page 83.

"[...]We want the future where Vimes is a good copper. Not the other one."
"But it must've happened!" snapped Vimes. "I told you, I can remember it! I was there yesterday!"
"Nice try, but that doesn't mean anything anymore," said the monk. "Trust me. Yes, it`s happened to you, but even though it has, it might not. 'Cos of quantum. Right now, there isn't a Commander Vimes-shaped hole in the future to drop you into. It's officially Uncertain. But might not be, if you do it right. You owe it to yourself, Commander. Right now, out there, Sam Vimes is learning to be a very bad copper indeed. And he learns fast."
I don't have the text that is in the British version in its place, unfortunately.
Fascinating. I have both first edition hardcovers, and in them, those passages are identical. There is no difference that I can find. US h/c edition p.69, UK h/c edition p.79.
There's a tiny difference a few paragraphs earlier: in the US edition it's Constable Colon, in the UK edition it's Lance-Corporal Colon. A page or so earlier, the excited abbot nearly swallowed his rusk in the UK, his biscuit in the US.

Aug 28, 2014
I might have misunderstood the document in question (http://www.ankh-morpork.de/downloads/an ... FDM-WR.pdf)

On page 88 of night watch there't this piece of text supposedly not in the UK version (safe for the first sentence):

Sweeper sat down.
"Good. And now, Mister Vimes, I'll need you take back in-side and we`ll work out what you need to know from all this, and Qu'll set up the spinners and we'll just... bounce you in time a little so that you give yourself the message. You know you did it, because you saw it. We can't have you running around knowing all about us."
"I'll get suspicious."
"You'll have to make it convincing"
"I'll still be suspicious."
"You won't trust even yourself?"
"I'm a devious character. I could be hiding something. How are you going to get me back to the Watch House? Don't even think about giving me some kind of potion."
I only have the german fan-translation of the text that should be here, but it includes a little speech by Sweeper about "cut and paste". It's on page 75 of the PDF. I think this might be a case of a last-minute manuscript change by Pterry which did make it into one version but not the other.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tamar said:
Here, Vimes has just been given back his cigar case by the dancing monks:

US h/c p.214 "The world moved. Vimes still felt like a drifting ship. But at the end of the tether there was now the tug of the anchor, pulling the ship around so that it faced the current."
UK h/c p.233 "The world moved. But now Vimes no longer felt like a drifting ship. Now, he felt the tug of the anchor, pulling him round to face the rising tide."

The "rising tide" has more meaning in context, as it is during the barricade-building scene, and the rising tide of resistance is happening.
Fascinating! As Granny might say, I can't abide the idea of any U.S. editor changing Pterry's original words, but in this context the U.S. edit actually makes more sense. At this point in the story Vimes is so used to being in the past (and enjoying it) that he is beginning to forget the life has in the future. After realizing this, he arrives at an existential crisis. The U.S. edit does a better job of showing how the cigar case didn't immediately solve this crisis, but provided him with something "real" to latch on to, and to direct him NOT to go with the flow (the current in this situation), which would have kept him in the past, but to go against it (as Vimes always does) to arrive, through struggle, at his destination. Pterry's original British words are less effective because they imply an 'instant cure', rather than the more dramatic "gradual change" of the U.S. version. And "rising tide" isn't as strong here, because it does suggest the barricade and the rebellion, when the thoughts that should be expressed here about the general "disorder" of this alternate timeline, which VImes must go against.

One does wonder if Pterry did look over the U.S. version at some point (or this edit was suggested by the editor to Pterry) and he decided to tweak some of this for the U.S> version.The U.S. version is written in Pterry's style, and I find it hard to believe that any editor would have changed the meaning while still maintaining the quality of the phrasing.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
NineTenthsMadness said:
I might have misunderstood the document in question (http://www.ankh-morpork.de/downloads/an ... FDM-WR.pdf)

On page 88 of night watch there't this piece of text supposedly not in the UK version (safe for the first sentence):

Sweeper sat down.
"Good. And now, Mister Vimes, I'll need you take back in-side and we`ll work out what you need to know from all this, and Qu'll set up the spinners and we'll just... bounce you in time a little so that you give yourself the message. You know you did it, because you saw it. We can't have you running around knowing all about us."
"I'll get suspicious."
"You'll have to make it convincing"
"I'll still be suspicious."
"You won't trust even yourself?"
"I'm a devious character. I could be hiding something. How are you going to get me back to the Watch House? Don't even think about giving me some kind of potion."
I only have the german fan-translation of the text that should be here, but it includes a little speech by Sweeper about "cut and paste". It's on page 75 of the PDF. I think this might be a case of a last-minute manuscript change by Pterry which did make it into one version but not the other.
Just checked this in the 1st UK edition and yes it is totally different (it's page 84 of the original hardback by the way) however there is reason to believe that the original version is the one in the US edition not the other way around as the ISIS audiobook read by Stephen Briggs and recorded before the book came out has the passage as you quote above and he normally works off proof copies to get the audiobooks out as close as possible to the publication date of the printed versions. I don't have a proof copy of Night Watch so cannot check.

The version in the UK 1st edition reads as follows:

Sweeper sat down. 'Good. And now, Mister Vimes, I'll take you back inside and I'll give you some background on the sergeant and we'll work out what you need to know from all this, and we can set up a little loop so that you can tell yourself what you need to know. No addresses, though!'
'And what'll happen to me?' said Vimes. 'The me sitting here now? The... er... other me walks away and me, this me, you understand... Well, what happens?'
Sweeper gave him a long, thoughtful look. 'Y'know,' he said, 'it's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is. Afterwards? Well, there will be a you. As much you as you are now, so who can say it's not you? This meeting will be... a sort of loop in time. In one sense, it will never end. In a way, it'll be-'
'Like a dream,’ said Vimes wearily.
Sweeper brightened. 'Very good! Yes! Not true, but a very, very good lie!'
'You know, you could've just told me everything,' said Vimes.
'No. I wouldn't be able to tell you everything and you, Mister Vimes, aren't in the mood for games like that. This way, a man you trust - that's you - will tell you all the truth you need to know. Then we'll do a little of what the younger acolytes call "slicing and glueing", and Mister Vimes will go back to Treacle Mine Lane a little wiser.'
'How are you going to get hi- me back to the Watch House? Don't even think about giving me some kind of potion.'
'No. We'll blindfold you, twirl you round, take you the long way, and walk you back. I promise.'

User Menu

Newsletter