Night Watch question! :-)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Regarding pages 239-43 of "Night Watch", when we get introduced to Mrs Rutherford and her husband ... ;)

Did Mrs Rutherford remind anyone else oh so very much of Hyacinth Bouquet from "Keeping Up Appearances"? :mrgreen: The overbearing "Duchess-with-nose-in-the-air" manner, the henpecking of her husband -- plus the mention of her father, asleep in an armchair on top of the barricade... :mrgreen:

Granted, I doubt Hyacinth's father was ever on top of a barricade -- but they both share an overwhelming concern for their "daddy" (to quote Mrs Bouquet/Bucket). ;)

What do you think, eh?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Mrs. Bucket herself was a stereotypical bossy woman with a henpecked husband. I'm fairly certain that Mrs Earwig was a nod to Mrs Bucket, so I'm fairly sure that Terry might have based Mrs. Rutherford on Mrs Bucket.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I just thought of something. Mrs. Rutherford's father is on top of the barricade (i.e. in extreme danger from arrows, or at least embarrassment if the neighbours should see him).

And Hyacinth Bucket always chase after "daddy", because he does strange or embarrassing things ... :)

Sounds like we have a connection! =D

User Menu

Newsletter