Online UK Discworld con? And/or are there any other DW fans in Norwich UK?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
Is there going to be a UK DWcon online at some point—have been chasing up and down various threads here, and keep finding there were ones earlier that I missed because I only discovered these forums in the last month or so.

Am feeling rather isolated because of COVID, and also because I don’t know any other DW fans in Norwich where I live.

The Irish Discworld Convention was online in October, and Australia had "The Lost Con" in July, and we're also having Virtual Hogswatch coming up on December 11. International attendees welcome! https://2022.ausdwcon.org/convention/virtual-hogswatch/ has the details.

(I will admit, that our virtual events are no real replacement for a full in-person convention, but we try and make them 'tasters' with some events similar to what may be done at an in-person convention).

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
Thanks everyone!
Would love to come to DWcon. Would the price include meals apart from breakfast?
Would like to know how much money it would be all round—before I would look at the dealers’ tables and try not to be tempted (am really tempted by maps, illustrations, tourist guides, right now).
Will there be filking, Ogg-style or otherwise?

Also—still looking forward to meeting other fans in Norwich if there are any here. I am trying to start a book club where I live, but nobody knows anything about Pterry. I snigger quietly to myself while reading but, it is Not the Same as talking to people who get how beautiful the prose and amazing the characters are.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Thanks everyone!
Would love to come to DWcon. Would the price include meals apart from breakfast?
Would like to know how much money it would be all round—before I would look at the dealers’ tables and try not to be tempted (am really tempted by maps, illustrations, tourist guides, right now).
Will there be filking, Ogg-style or otherwise?

Also—still looking forward to meeting other fans in Norwich if there are any here. I am trying to start a book club where I live, but nobody knows anything about Pterry. I snigger quietly to myself while reading but, it is Not the Same as talking to people who get how beautiful the prose and amazing the characters are.
I went when I was still going through a really bad financial time and resorted to stocking up on a really massive breakfast (it was a help yourself buffet) and drinking water for most of the day (free, but that's also what I generally drink during the day anyway).

I think I spent less than £20 on food and drink that weekend (I don't drink alcohol either, so that was a big saving in itself). The hard part was avoiding getting involved with rounds since you will meet some of the nicest and most generous people you could wish for. (The bar got drunk dry every night the last time we were there at the Hilton, btw. I think we got described as people who party like rugby supporters but with the manners of a chess club.
)

It's going to be up to you but I guess that £100 would cover your spending money/evening meals but you might also decide to eat out one evening as well (quite a few do this when they can murder a curry). The Dealers Room can also become quite costly with some amazing merchandise and there is also a charity auction where DW goodies and rarities can fetch some quite high prices (I think my photographic portrait of Bernard Pearson on canvas went for over £300, iirc).

Hope this helps a little. :)

User Menu

Newsletter