Question re: "Danny Boy"

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
So ... I recently created two new videos for two Renaissance songs, with appropriate pictures to illustrate the songs. (Please feel free to check them out on my Vimeo page, if you like). :)

Anyway, I'm currently working on a new video of the song "Danny Boy" (my mum's favourite). :) As part of the video, I'd like to include some photos or pictures (ideally out-of-copyright, but if not, I try to get the artist's permission) that are relevant to the song.

I know that "Danny Boy" was written in Bath, Somerset, but is usually associated with Ireland. So here's the question: should I include scenery from Somerset, or from Ireland? And if it's Irish scenery, which one(s) should I choose? *thinks*

I have room for four pictures/photos -- one each for the two refrains and two choruses. Of course, if I find enough material, I could change the picture every two lines, instead of every four -- but I'm not sure.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Danny Boy is set in Scotland. 'The pipes are calling', 'the glens' - it's a lament, probably referring to the Highland Clearances.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm confused, then. Isn't it set to the "Londonderry Air" (an Irish air that originated in County Derry)?

I also read in wiki that ...

...some have interpreted the song to be a message from a parent to a son going off to a war or uprising (as suggested by the reference to "pipes calling glen to glen") or leaving as part of the Irish diaspora.
So, as before -- I'm confused! :confused: Written in Bath, interpreted to be about leaving for the Irish diaspora -- or the Highland Clearances? Which is it?

It also doesn't help that the lyrics of "Danny Boy" were written in 1913, and the Highland Clearances were in the mid-1750s until the 1830s or so. Yes, the song could be a lament for those times -- but why? Any ideas? :confused:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Yes, the Irish have their own version of pipes, but I haven't come across "glen" being used much for Irish terrain, while it is all over the place in Scottish romantic descriptions.
The words were written in 1910, before the first world war, by a British professional songwriter and lawyer, Frederick Weatherly. They were changed to fit the 19th century Irish tune in the hope that it would sell. (Later, two more verses were added to the original four.) The lyrics are from the point of view of someone who assumes that they will die before 'Danny' gets back. Where he's going and why are not specified. The impression I get is of an elderly mother whose son is leaving home; it seems to me that he is going off to earn money somewhere.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Interesting. I had an Irish co-worker a few years ago -- a Dubliner -- who insisted the "Londonderry" in the song's name (aka "Londonderry Air") was an insult. It's Derry, not Londonderry, he insisted.

I can easily see where he's coming from, but that's what made me associate this song with Ireland. ;)

Anyway, it seems the "glen to glen" line associates it with Scotland. Any ideas what part of Scotland it could be? :)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*LOL* In other words, he had no idea what he was writing about? ;)

OK, that gives me a free hand. I guess I'll just have to pick out a site or two from Somerset, one or two from Scotland (what a choice to make!), one or two from Ireland ... yikes -- to have to reduce Scotland or Ireland to just two famous sites. :eek:

Are there any sites that are particularly famous? Yes, I know about Bannockburn, but it'd probably be a farmer's field by now. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter