RIP Charlene.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The following is a post I made on Facebook - I'm posting it here for those of you who do not Facebook.

Dear friends. I have just heard the news that Charlene has passed away. I'm heartbroken, but have been expecting the call for the last few days. Since about Thursday, she had become unresponsive and was sleeping for most of the day. When I did talk to her, it was very difficult to understand what she was saying and I had been warned that she was showing the signs of letting go.

I first started writing to Charlene in around 2004 when her book store was still open. We were both members of a Terry Pratchett website and she had an advance copy of one of his books. I had visited a store over here where the same book had been put on the shelves two weeks early. So, of the people on that site, we were the first to read it. Our friendship started as a discussion of the book via email and we fell in love through that. I first visited Tucson in 2006 and we got married in 2007. This May was out 10th anniversary. It was around that time that Charlene went into hospital. From there, because of heart problems, she went to a nursing home and finally went to a residential home just a few weeks ago.

Sadly, my own health will not allow me to travel to Tucson, but my heart will always be there. Charlene was the most wonderful person in the world to me. She never judged me or tried to change me. When I wasn't visiting her in Tucson, we were on Skype every day, three times a day. This will mean more to Terry Pratchett fans, but we always said that finding each other was exactly 1 million to one.
I want to thank Rhonda Butterfield and Corinne Haywood, two of Charlene's oldest and dearest friends, for all they have done over the last few months. They both flew a great distance as soon as Charlene went into hospital and they were an amazing team sorting out Charlene's affairs and, especially for finding a residential home where Charlene could be with her beloved cats, Emily and Victoria. Thank you so much Rhonda and Corinne - you guys are awesome.

Rest in peace my darling, my friend, my cariad. You made the last ten years or so, the happiest in my life. :love:

Thank you all for being our friends.
Tony.

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
RIP and GNU Charlene

Dear, dear Tony, I was so saddened to hear your news. Your special relationship with Charlene will be something to cherish for always. Sending you my warmest condolences and one enormous hug. I’ll be thinking of you and, as Jason said, let me know if there’s anything I can do. Toothy xx

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tony--

I am sorry I didn't see this until now, and let me give you my heartfelt condolences on Charlene's passing.

I know that I will miss her and most "veterans" of this forum will miss her as well. She and I had many spirited online "debates" about different Discworld books, and while we often sometimes disagreed about certain things, her amazing literary knowledge and articulate and intellectual writing style raised the bar of rhetorical discussion to the highest level. When her health issues prevented her from being able to post here her presence was sorely missed.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tony I'm so sorry for your loss. I've not been on here in ages so this passed me by. But Charlene will be sadly missed.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thanks Dotsie.

We are holding a memorial service in Tucson this coming Saturday and, although I won't be able to get over there due to my own health, we are hoping to set up a Skype link, so I can take part.

I was asked for a Terry Pratchett quote to include in the service booklet and thought that this one from The Shepherd's Crown would be perfect - especially as Granny and Tiffany were Charlene's favourite characters:
Terry Pratchett said:
“Tiffany thought of the little spot in the woods where Granny Weatherwax lay. Remembered.

And knew that You had been right. Granny Weatherwax was indeed here. And there. She was, in fact, and always would be, everywhere.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Shepherd's Crown

User Menu

Newsletter