RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court Justice

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
RIP Ruth! I'm sickened that there might be a trump appointed replacement before next year. Obama wasn't allowed to appoint a Supreme Court nomination in an election year, so the same should be true here.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Blame Mitch McConnell. =(

- When a judge died during a Bush election year, McConnell insisted on appointing a new one before Bush was out.
- When a judge died during an Obama election year, McConnell insisted on NOT appointing a new one before election.

And now this.

Flip, flop, flip, flop ... :rolleyes:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I have no words. Hearing this news was an absolute punch in the gut. And yep, what Rath said. Mitch McConnell is pure evil and will no doubt ram tRump's selection through, which will effect our country for generations.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I am hoping that if Joe Biden is elected and the Democrats regain control of the Senate, that together they will add two new seats to the Supreme Court to allow him to balance it out. This has been done before (last time by FDR) and its not unconstitutional since the number of SC members isn't specified in the Constitution. It would require an act of Congress and most likely a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

I also hope they pass a law mandating term limits for Supreme Court justices and federal judges. There is no reason why they should be able to serve for life and nothing in the Constitution forbids establishing term limits. I think a 16 or 18 year term is entirely reasonable.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Why is it that judges who are appointed to the Supreme Court always follow party lines? *curious* Is there any reason for this?

I'd like to see a Republican-appointed SC judge turn around and say "Nyah, nyah, I'm actually a radical Democrat! Up yours, Rush Limbaugh!" :p And vice-versa, too. They don't need any reason for this; just to throw a spanner in the works, y'know? :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
They don't always vote on party lines.. They are supposed to make laws and decisions on laws and should take that into consideration when making decisions. However, the politics in the US has become very partisan in recent years. The Republicans under Mitch McConnel are trying to load the court with extremists who are likely to make bad decisions to appease their base and donors.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
The politicization of the Supreme Court has been in existence since nearly the beginning, but really only came into its own with the "Marshall Court" of the first few decades of the 1800s. During that time, chief justice John Marshall greatly expanded the power of the federal government over the states, much to the chagrin of the southern presidents (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Jackson) during that time. From then on in, presidents picked justices who they hoped would reflect theirs (or their party's) political views.

Sometimes the appointments backfire. For example, Eisenhower made former Republican governor Earl Warren Chief Justice in 1953, believing that he would lead the court in a more conservative direction. Warren did just the opposite, presiding over some of the most important decisions that overturned centuries old laws allowing racial discrimination.

User Menu

Newsletter