Semi-Perpetual Book-Reading Blog, 2022

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 100

Elden Ring: The Road to the Erdtree volume 2, by Nikiichi Tobita.

Elden Ring is a game of serious, dark fantasy, coming from the renowned minds of Soulsborne creator Hidetaka Miyazaki and the renowned creator of A Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin. Yet there is an official parody manga. The first volume was actually quite enjoyable, but would the second volume maintain this?

Aseo has infiltrated Godrick the Grafted’s lair of Stormveil. However, this incompetent Tarnished has an uphill battle. Even teaming up with powerful if ditzy warrior woman Nepheli Loux may not be enough to defeat Godrick. And even if they do, they have other demigods to take on, never mind the colourful cast of characters in the Roundtable Hold…

As with the previous volume, at times, the comedy gets way too cringy for my liking, or just not that funny. A case in point is the so-called training with Bernahl, which overstays its welcome for far too long. And the serious-looking art clashes at times with the comedy.

Still, it manages to maintain the standards of the previous volume. Nepheli Loux as a ditz is surprisingly hilarious, Godrick is actually treated sympathetically, and his grafting contest is hilarious if bizarre. Plus, the antics of Gideon Ofnir and Fia in the Roundtable Hold are also immensely amusing, as is Enia and the Two Fingers.

Overall, this was a good continuation of a gag manga series of a great game. Here’s hoping it improves…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 101

Lethbridge-Stewart: Mutually-Assured Domination by Nick Walters.

I haven’t read more than the first instalment of the Lethbridge-Stewart books. But this spinoff of Doctor Who has so many potentially interesting entries. But in one of them, the Dominators and their Quark servants appear. Their debut story in the TV series was one of the worst of the era, and certainly Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln’s disappointments, despite having also created for Doctor Who the likes of the Yeti, the Great Intelligence, and Lethbridge-Stewart himself. So how would this story fare?

1969. The streets of London are filled with protestors, many of whom are opposing the newly-founded Dominex Industries, an organisation that promises to find ways to turn nuclear waste into safe substances. But as journalist Harold Chorley and his old acquaintance Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart learn, Dominex’s facility in Dartmoor is linked to suspicious disappearances. And it is no coincidence: the Dominators and their robotic servants, the Quarks, have created Dominex as a cover for a plan with an apocalyptic fate for Earth…

I have to admit, this story is a fairly straightforward generic romp with no real complexity or nuance. Instead, it’s more a matter of going from incident to incident. What’s more, while the Dominators and the Quarks are significantly improved from their TV appearance, there’s no getting away from the fact that they are also somewhat generic alien invaders.

Still, for all that, it’s still an entertaining romp, and that more successfully touches on similar themes to The Dominators. Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart shows he can hold his own even without the Doctor, and Chorley’s return is also welcome. The Dominators, for all their faults, are not only given a culture and history (even if a lot of what we learn is their own propaganda), but they are made more menacing, as are the otherwise ridiculous Quarks.

Overall, this was a good story, one that managed to surprise me with the handling of one of the far lesser aliens from Doctor Who

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
So ... Mutually Assured Docstruction?

I can't have been the only one who immediately thought ... "Dominators". "Dominex". "Dominatrix"? :p
:rolleyes:

*sigh*

The sad thing is, you're not the first to make that joke. I remember reading long ago an issue of Doctor Who Magazine (from the 90s, I think) that had a cartoon of a couple of fans looking to hire the video of Doctor Who: The Dominators from a video shop. At first, the clerk directs them to the...ahem...adult section, but when they clarify that it's a Doctor Who story, he understands...and sends them to an entirely different part of the adult section.

The Dominators had a troubled genesis, to say the least. The story was written by Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln (Lincoln would go on to co-write The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, one of the inspirations for The Da Vinci Code), who had success with the Yeti and the Great Intelligence earlier in the season (The Dominators was the last story produced of the fifth season of Doctor Who, but was held back to open up the sixth season, a common practise at the time). Lincoln and Haisman wrote the story as a satire on the hippy movement and pacifism.

Now, the story was, honestly, a trainwreck. The plot was originally meant to go for six episodes, but the then-script editor Derrick Sherwin thought, "Nope, it's dragged on for long enough" (and considering how long the transmitted 5-part story drags, I'm hardly surprised: ironically, the next story, The Mind Robber, had the extra episode tacked on to compensate, and still managed to be a brilliant and entertaining story). In addition, the BBC tried to market the robotic Quarks as the new Daleks, given that Terry Nation was trying to set up a spinoff series in the US with the Daleks (thus, the rights were a mess). Lincoln and Haisman were far from amused, so they demanded their names be taken off the story (it's credited to 'Norman Ashby', a pseudonym derived from their father-in-laws' names). And they were intended to write out Jamie McCrimmon in a story that would have seen the return of the Great Intelligence, but their anger with the BBC at the time nixed that.

The story itself is pretty mediocre and generic. You can tell Patrick Troughton didn't think much of the script, as he hams it up a lot more than usual in the story. Although I will admit, there's a surprisingly gruesome special effect early in the first episode when a Quark guns down a curious Dulcian called Tolata: a photo of the actress has footage of oil rippling on water superimposed, making it look like her flesh is boiling away, very gruesome for 1960s Doctor Who. For later victims, they went for a more frequently used special effect in piping smoke through their clothing.

Here's a couple of trailers. The first is an official DVD trailer, while the other is a fan-made trailer that includes Tolata's demise, showing you how effective 60s special effects can be when they put their mind to it...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 102

One Piece Baroque Works 19-20-21 by Eiichiro Oda.

So, here I am, once more embarking on a journey into the insane world of One Piece. But how would this omnibus volume fare as we embark on the beginning of the end of the Baroque Works arc? Let’s find out…

Determined to put a halt to Crocodile’s plans for Alabaster, Luffy and his crew end up trapped. Crocodile then puts his cruel plan to spark a violent revolution in Alabaster into motion. But can anyone stop Crocodile and his Baroque Works minions?

Once more, One Piece proves to be a mixed bag. The sheer weirdness of it and the overreliance on the strange and bizarre humour of this setting works against it in this volume. And it feels like this arc is being stretched way beyond its natural conclusion.

Yet there is still much to commend it. There’s some awesome fight scenes, with Luffy getting probably his worst defeat yet at the hands (well, hand and a hook) of Crocodile, while Nami gets a chance to shine as a fighter herself. We have finally some insight into why Crocodile wants to take over Alabaster, aside from cruel megalomania.

Overall, this was a decent romp, but lacking in substance. Hopefully, One Piece will improve when I embark on the climax of this arc…

***½

Last edited:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 103

House of the Dragon: Inside the Creation of a Targaryen Dynasty by Gina McIntyre.

Game of Thrones became a runaway success, and despite it faltering in the last couple of seasons, it still remains a cornerstone of pop culture. Was it at all surprising that a prequel series was done? So I decided to get the making-of book for House of the Dragon, and hope it was worth my time…

When Game of Thrones came to an end, spinoff series were mooted, with one being based on the infamous Dance of Dragons, taking place over a century prior. A story of the Targaryen dynasty at its height, and how it was brought low. This, then, is the story of how House of the Dragon came to be made, from writing and casting, to filming and special effects, and how COVID-19 nearly scuppered it…

Books like this, as I have mentioned before, are triumphs of style over substance. While this one seems to have a better balance, there’s no getting away from the fact that I believe more could have been said and elaborated upon about the show. And I feel the book ends just a tad too abruptly for my liking.

Which is something of a shame, really. The balance between presentation and information, as mentioned before, is better here, with beautiful and lavish presentation being balanced out with fairly comprehensive anecdotes about filming the series. We have some better insight into what the actors and writers intended than, at times, what came across on the screen.

Overall, this was an excellent making-of book of an excellent series. Not without its flaws, but certainly worth a read…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 104

One Piece Baroque Works 22-23-24 by Eiichiro Oda.

So here I am, about to embark on the final part of the Baroque Works arc for One Piece, along with the initial stages of the Skypiea arc. But how would this omnibus volume fare? Let’s find out…

The battle to save Alabasta continues, and Crocodile has at last revealed one of his secret desires: to have Nico Robin, his second in command, read the Ponegliff beneath the palace that details the whereabouts of the ancient weapon Pluton. But Luffy, while left for dead in the desert, has survived, and comes back to face Crocodile, and now, he knows how to hurt the Warlord. But can he beat Crocodile, and save Alabasta?

Once more, One Piece’s weirdness and lack of complex plot works against it. There’s only so much ludicrous stuff that I could take. It also feels like the ending to Alabasta, once Crocodile was defeated, felt somewhat rushed, and the salvaging bit leading up to the next arc just pushed the ridiculous elements even further than I want it to.

Still, Luffy’s rematches with Crocodile show him starting to use what little brains he has, at long last. Hell, the fight scenes in general are great, including Vivi finally having the will to fight and even proving to make a significant contribution in the climax. Robin’s motives for wanting to read the Ponegliff are elaborated upon in an intriguingly vague fashion that promises much, especially now that she’s joined the crew.

Overall, this was a good ending to the Baroque Works arc. Time will tell when I come back to this series, though, as I’ve overdosed on its weirdness…

User Menu

Newsletter