Terry quote question...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
...is there a spot somewhere where someone in one of Terry's books has this exchange:

Terry said:
"...I can see I'll have get up early in the morning to get the better of you!"

"Get up early...? 'Tis better if you don't go to bed at all!"
I know there's exactly that sort of exchange in The Light Fantastic, but the punchline is "my dear boy... you'll have to stay up all night." ;) So my question is this: does the above exchange, word-for-word, happen anywhere in the canon?

I'm a little worried about it because I'm currently using it as a mini-climax for a (non-Discworld) short story I'm writing. However, naturally, I wouldn't want to use it if Terry's already done so - that would be plagiarism. :( If so, then obviously I'll re-write. So... any ideas? :)

Thanks! ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
It's Maskerade, just after the special chocolate dessert. Nanny Ogg says "I reckon I should have to get up real early to put one over on you." Granny says "I reckon you should never go to sleep." Nanny picks up on the implied threat in that unqualified statement and only then apologizes "Sorry, Esme".

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
"...with extra sauce, Gytha Ogg, may you be forgiven." *BWG*

You're absolutely right, Tamar. I double-checked my copy of Maskerade and it's right there. I wonder why I didn't think of it before - I've been performing for years, so Maskerade is one of my favourite books and the "luncheon investment" extended scene is one of my favourite scenes from that book, particularly when
the special chocolate pudding hits the table and they all fish around for water and ice, etc.
*L* Granny and Nanny Ogg are always so much fun.

Oh well... one more thing to re-write, then. The story's nearly done - it's a retelling of the old 'Perseus and Medusa' story, which (while keeping the spirit of the original) still offers quite a few fun little changes and twists. :twisted:

Thanks for your help! :)

User Menu

Newsletter