The Ankh-Morpork Archives: Volume Two

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I don't know, but I did start reading the second volume. I like it, but even though I realize that it's a compilation/reprint of earlier diaries of whatever, I would have hoped that they might update some of the really outdated materials to reflect the state of AM at the time of Raising Streal. For example, Angua's rank is listed as corporal, even though the Watch section mentions things that happened as late as The Fifth Elephant, when she was a sergeant.

Yeah, I don't think they updated anything in it - it's just a reprint of the 1999 City Watch Diary (and the others) which does mean things like ranks are out of date for some characters, and other parts of how the Watch is run which changed post-1999. (I think by the time the diary came out, the latest Watch book was Jingo).

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Yeah, I don't think they updated anything in it - it's just a reprint of the 1999 City Watch Diary (and the others) which does mean things like ranks are out of date for some characters, and other parts of how the Watch is run which changed post-1999. (I think by the time the diary came out, the latest Watch book was Jingo).
In the Guide they call her by her full family name, which, unless I'm wrong (which is entirely possible) I don't think they first used until The Fifth Elephant.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Ankh Morpork Reader Vol 2 Update.

Note: I got Vol 2. (after waiting about three months) in March from U.S. Amazon. I ordered Vol. 1 in November, the the delivery date was constantly pushed out. Now they claim it won't be delivered until late in July.

So, I took a chance to see if I might getter better delivery from Amazon U.K. (and if I could indeed buy it there at all). Turns out that I can and did. It's been shipped out today and I hope to get it sometime in early June. So I can tell U.S. Amazon to piss off and cancel that order. The irony here is that even with shipping, the version I'm getting from the UK cost less in $US than the version ordered from Amazon US. Go figure.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sorry for laughing, but ... my goodness. How is it less expensive (in $US) to buy from Amazon UK than from Amazon US? :)

And yes, I know the pain of waiting and waiting all too well. I ordered a book from a bookstore in the UK back on Australia Day (26 January). It never arrived - indeed was never sent - but the store pocketed my money. :mad:

Cue a month of me fighting with Abe Books and the store about who was going to give me a refund. Eventually I got sick of it and told my credit card company. 2 weeks later, the charge was reversed and my cc company gave me a credit. And I swore never to shop with Abe Books again.

Two days ago - nearly 4 months after I ordered the damn book - suddenly I got a refund from Abe Books, together with an email saying "We hope you'll shop with us again."

Sorry, AB, but it's a bit late. I'm not going to shop with you just because you refunded me about $10. Nuts to you! :mad:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Ankh Morpork Reader Vol 2 Update.

Note: I got Vol 2. (after waiting about three months) in March from U.S. Amazon. I ordered Vol. 1 in November, the the delivery date was constantly pushed out. Now they claim it won't be delivered until late in July.

So, I took a chance to see if I might getter better delivery from Amazon U.K. (and if I could indeed buy it there at all). Turns out that I can and did. It's been shipped out today and I hope to get it sometime in early June. So I can tell U.S. Amazon to piss off and cancel that order. The irony here is that even with shipping, the version I'm getting from the UK cost less in $US than the version ordered from Amazon US. Go figure.
raisindot I sometimes do the reverse and get some books from Amazon US because I don't want the UK version for my favorite USA authors like Kim Harrison, Tad Williams and more, the artwork on the covers differs sometimes quite a lot and makes the series look odd to me. that's if I can't get the USA edition from a UK dealer, it's to do with the publishing rights. I find the postage rate is usually quite reasonable.

User Menu

Newsletter