The Ankh-Morpork City Watch Journal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
(i.e. this one -- or, at least, on Book Depository. I'm sure you know where to find it on Amazon etc.!)

I've just noticed that the publication date has been pushed back on this one. It was due to be published on 6 August 2020; now it won't be published until 3 November -- i.e. 4 days after the other Discworld diary (i.e. this one.)

Any idea what's going on? Has publication been delayed because the Corona situation also put the kibosh on the post? :( Or has it been delayed until November so that it can become an early stocking-stuffer? ;)

I've also noticed that Book Depository's jacking up the price. :confused: On 20 June, the "journal" was AUD $32.22; now it's $35.15 (a modest rise of about 9%). However, the "Archives" volume (on 20 June) was AUD $40.81. Now it is AUD $53.69, almost 32% dearer. :oops:

What the *heck* is going on? Just wondering ...

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Rath in stock here.
https://www.discworldemporium.com/d...orld-journal-2021-the-ankh-morpork-city-watch
THE ANKH-MORPORK ARCHIVES: VOLUME TWO - PRE-ORDER!
Volume two of Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs and Paul Kidby's anthology of fantastic content from Discworld Diaries of yore, revamped into a glorious hardback guidebook to Ankh-Morpork's characters, guilds, institutions & environs! This second instalment features the Fools' Guild, City Watch and the wisdom of Lu-Tze!
++ PUBLISHED OCTOBER 29TH - AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER ++

TWEET FACEBOOK GOOGLE+ PINTEREST

£ 25.00

AVAILABILITYpre-order

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Dug, I'm aware of that. :) I'm just wondering what's going on with the "journal"??? Because BD tells me I can order it, but it also tells me this:

1597537613938.png

(Emphasis added by me, naturally). ;) So what's going on ...? I can order it from Book Depository right now, but it won't be published until November...?

Then again, I can see that Amazon Australia won't release it until 13 October. And yet, it's available to people i the UK right now. *shrug*

Also wondering ... has anybody got this? Is it good? :)

Last edited:
If it's like the Death journal from last year (and I believe it is) - there's not that much actual written content - some quotes from the various Watch books, and a number of new, original illustrations of the characters by David Wyatt. Mostly it's a blank book - i.e., a journal.

I've ordered mine from the Discworld Emporium along with a bunch of other things. Not cheap, but I can splurge occasionally :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Dug, I'm aware of that. :) I'm just wondering what's going on with the "journal"??? Because BD tells me I can order it, but it also tells me this:

View attachment 2213

(Emphasis added by me, naturally). ;) So what's going on ...? I can order it from Book Depository right now, but it won't be published until November...?

Then again, I can see that Amazon Australia won't release it until 13 October. And yet, it's available to people i the UK right now. *shrug*

Also wondering ... has anybody got this? Is it good? :)
Maybe that is the American edition Rath as somtimes they get a later date, and BD being owned by Amazon is an American company as I somtimes get the USA editions of American authors I collect from them due to the different artwork on the covers from the UK editions. also they have it here. signed editions https://discworld.com/products/hardbacks/

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Have they begun creating "journals" (without dates) rather than "diaries" (with dates and calendar format)? I have most of the original diaries but missed the Witches one because I frankly thought the cover was ugly. Now slightly regretting that choice, but not enough to buy the Archive editions.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Mostly blank pages with a little art work.
The Ankh-Morpork City Watch Journal provides jotting space for your notes, reports, observations and investigations, so kick back, relax and take down your particulars. To help you keep on the straight and narrow, you’ll be aided and abetted by some choice quotes from Terry Pratchett’s seminal City Watch novels.
1597605062293.png

Last edited:
Have they begun creating "journals" (without dates) rather than "diaries" (with dates and calendar format)? I have most of the original diaries but missed the Witches one because I frankly thought the cover was ugly. Now slightly regretting that choice, but not enough to buy the Archive editions.
Yes, for the last few years. There is a "Terry Pratchett" journal, with quotes from Terry and some people who were closest to him (Rob Wilkins, Neil Gaiman, Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson). Then the Death journal and now the City Watch journal. All of these, plus the diaries for some of the years previous to this, were produced by the Discworld Emporium (Bernard & Isobel Pearson, Ian Mitchell, Reb Voyce and some illustrators they hired like David Wyatt), so the only content written by Terry were quotes from his earlier books.

The earlier diaries (late 90s, early 00's) were written by Terry with Stephen Briggs, using Paul Kidby's art. At some point in the middle, the Emporium also released a Discworld Almanack, which although not a diary as such, is full of lots of really great stuff.

User Menu

Newsletter