The First Dutch Discworld Convention.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
This is going to take a while to organise so will be a 2-parter :laugh:

Ysabell and her Daddy - don't we look cute? :rolleyes: :laugh: OK - look at my wig 1st :p Not a brilliant fit but pretty good considering this was the 1st time I'd had it on in earnest and when I'd got everything ready up in my room I was about to fix the elastication when the fastener just disintegrated and I ended up having to tie a knot in it instead so it was a tad tight on Madam's head! :eek:

Anyway - it held up long enough for a quick photocall and so that was OK and somebody got us photoed for posterior etc. Now look at my stomach - the dress honestly fitted me really well - tons of room and not tight at all, especially as I wasn't going to be moving around too much or doing strenuous things in it like sitting down and getting up.... the shiny satin central panel had very skimpy seams that I thought I'd restitched and strengthened at home already - NOT SO!!!! :devil: After that piccy I was walking down the hall to the next event and felt a little cool around the waist - sat down to watch a demo of Ankh-Morpork the Game and discovered that the seam stitching on both sides of the central panel had finally given up the ghost and was starting to gape rather embarassingly... :oops: :oops: :oops: 'Luckily' I had to go and meet someone in reception, so I made my excuses and left rapidly (well as rapidly as I was capable of doing as function room transit was a tad hazardous for my dodgy knees :cry: )to do an unscheduled costume change back into something that wouldn't cause offence to public decency.... :oops: :eek: :twisted:

OK - some pics of other cosplay highlights :laugh:

The Assassin and the Wizard - Jolanda and Nick (Djelibeybi) - Nick won and the Maskerade for the English and Jolanda with her co-Assassin mate (whose name I've forgotten but you'll see her in the next post) won the prize for the Dutch :oops:

Jolanda over-balancing with the weight of her blade arsenal... :laugh:

and from the Maskerade Mister Otto Chriek - he was at Birmingham too and his camera is utterly brilliant! :laugh:

Back in here later with action shots of the first and last production of the Very Much Reduced Disc Theatre Company of Going Postal ~ Second Class Delivery :twisted:

Sorry about picture quality - the camera's new to me and I've never used one of these new-fangled digital jobs where you don't have to do the viewfinder/focus thing to your eye. Plus the flash didn't always go off so I've had to tinker drastically with some of these.... :oops: ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Cracking pics! Is Sjoerd going to be Death again at Birmingham? Are you going to stitch yourself back up and be Ysabel again (or me :laugh: )

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: Right are you ready for this series recording Sjoerd's triumphant portrayal of Mr Pump in the 'book adaptation' - performed on the fly (possibly on a cow pat more than on a wing and a prayer) that had to be done in very confused and shambolic circs in between various other stuff.

The idea was to produce an entire Discworld tale in about 15 mins at the closing ceremony on Sunday so if I tell you that we still didn't know what we were going to do on Saturday night in the bar and hadn't even begun to write the rotten thing until gone 1 pm you will be amazed at what we actually got done...

I was assistant scriptwriter, dialogue coach, storyline continuity and brow wiper to our writer/editor, Martin, who hadn't read Going Postal and had only ever seen the DVD. :rolleyes: :laugh: Pat Harkin wrote a lot of the narration for the start (going over Moist's chargesheet a bit like the start of Porridge :twisted: ), but the rest of it was cobbled together between Andrew (Moist), Nick/Djelibeybi (Reacher Gilt) Chris (Vetinari and Groats - he was Igor the runner up Low King at Birmingham? :laugh: ) the Anonymous Assassin (can't remember her name now but she's playing Adorabelle) and me chipping in with significant dialogue as Martin was going through it with the red pen. Sjoerd was a real sport because he basically got volunteered for Mr Pump as having the height and the voice for it, but that was Nick's fault for railroading him into it, not mine... :laugh:

Costumes (hats/masks) supplied at extremely short notice and great ingenuity by the nice lady at Chaos Costuming :twisted:

This is what it looked like :laugh:

The author and cast of the much reduced Ankh-Morpork Theatrical Company's production of Going Postal ~ Second Class Delivery

The ex Albert Spangler meets his Angel

and his parole officer

in a fashionable 'bag over the head' costume... :p

who next day introduces Moist (now wearing his Postmaster hat) to his staff, Stanley (Jolanda) and Groat (Chris again)

and swiftly moving on to meet Adorabelle Dearheart and learns of her family's misfortunes as a result of Moist's fraud with the Cabbagegrowers Bank

and hate at 1st sight on Adora's part at the dinner date from hell - note ciggie and holder :p

Pump shoves Stanley around a bit rescuing him from the fire

and moving swiftly on through Smoking Gnus and race-rigging we have Mr Pump hero of the hour saving Moist from the long drop...

FIN
(well actually there was a bit more but that didn't come out too well) :laugh:

Some highlights of Sjoerd costume's award-winning performance

do you see his eyes are actually glinting there! :p

and just look at the slick microphone technique here - classic radio acting at it's best! :twisted:

I should also say that Reacher (Nick or Djelibeybi) did have a few lines but he's the bald guy at the back with the eyepatch in one of the pics - he did have a hat to wear as well but H&S (me) forbade him to wear it as the costumier ran out of duct tape and the pins keeping the rim of his top hat on was rather lethal :eek: :laugh:

I'm just glad I was only taking the photos.... 8)

Sjoerd3000 said:
author3 said:
What 4 books were they
Well 2 are a present for mC ;) Beause I already have them. And the other 2 are Unseen Academicals and Making Money
Thank you! :laugh:

Great pics, Jan! Couldn't stop laughing :laugh: That bag is awesome ;) And I really liked your costume, you can't see any of the problems you mentionned... as for Sjoerd... Don't fear the Reaper, huh? ;)
I think this plot-writing-and-performing must have been huge fun to do... really creative and everything - brings people together ;)

User Menu

Newsletter