The hidden depths of Sgt Colon and Cpl Nobbs

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*** WARNING: spoilers, naturally. ;) Don't read if you haven't read "Jingo" or "Snuff" ***

We all know that Nobby Nobbs and Fred Colon are cowardly and not all that bright. However, there are some hidden depths to them that could be explored (perhaps with a stick). ;) I haven't posted this in the character explorations of either character, because it concerns them both.

From the Discworld wiki:

(From the Nobby article -Ed.)
Together, Nobby and Colon have managed to have many strangely philosophical (or just strange) conversations, including one on whether Death has a first name, or even any friends to call him it. Oddly enough, these conversations hint at Nobby being more intelligent than Colon, with Nobby continually pointing out fatal flaws in Colon's statements and arguments, and Colon mentally scrambling to come up with an answer.
(From the Colon article -Ed.)
As Vimes thought it, most of the other watch officers saw a fat, stupid, lazy, cowardly man -- and that was mostly what was there -- but Colon and Nobby have a street-level knowledge of Ankh-Morpork on a par with Vimes, and are good at sensing tension in a crowd. Both are also survivors of the Glorious 25th of May. Colon also performs his duties in Thud! fairly well. He is an amiable jailer, and bright enough to keep the keys in a closed tin box in the bottom drawer of his desk, well out of reach of anything an inmate would be able to use.

His office, in a separate building from the main watch house, is frequented by old acquaintances who want somewhere quiet to get away from the wife, hear what's happening on the street and - in Vimes' words - "gossip like washerwomen." For this free-flowing source of information, Vimes considers the cost of donuts on an expense voucher a very favourable trade.
To sum up, Nobby and Colon are more than they appear to be. If Vimes gives them an order or task to perform, I think he can trust them to perform it - though as they see fit, which isn't always as Vimes would want. ;) If he told them to investigate something, he can trust them to do it superficially, maybe, at some point after drinking a few pints here and there and picking up odds-and-ends of information in various pubs. In short, he can trust them with his life - but he'd be daft to trust them with the petty cash box.

What do you think? Is that a fair estimate of their prowess (or lack thereof)? :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
They are both, almost a trope. It's Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello etc. Two comic characters that bounce ideas and concepts off each other in an almost Dunning-Kruger way. They are interesting as a sort of comedic and, arse backward, way of stating the plot of story. I'm not entirely certain that they could survive as separate characters, but they certainly work well as a duo.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh, dear. They certainly wouldn't survive separately! :) Witness what happens (for example) when Nobby has to work against Colon in TFE, or when Nobby goes along to meet the A-M nobility in FoC. They both go completely to pieces. (Also, Colon works alone in FoC and nearly dies...) ;)

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
hehehe interesting thread! Yep, I do think there's more to these guys than we might think. Nobby definitely surprises Colon with clever questions and thoughts, and they both complement each other very well.

Their polie skills might not be the best, but they will for sure end up stumbling upon what they were looking for one way or another (even if they didn't intended to do so!).

And yes, they are loyal to Sam Vimes and his family to the end!

Mx

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Feegled from Discworld Monthly.
It seems that Stephen Briggs is still the top dog as a narrator.
Review: Small Gods Audiobook
Review by Jason Anthony-Rowlands

I've been listening to the new audiobook edition of Small Gods narrated by Andy Serkis. From the start I found it far easier to listen to than the Hogfather audiobook that I reviewed last month.

Andy Serkis' voice can be a bit gravelly but I haven't struggled to hear what he was saying in this book so that's a bonus.

I still can't get on with Bill Nighy. It sounds like he was recorded on a different piece of kit locked up in a cupboard somewhere. We know footnotes can be done well - look at Peter Jones or Stephen Fry doing the voice of the guide in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - that would have been perfect for the footnotes. Bill just seems bored with it all. I like him as an actor, just not in this particular role.

Most of what I said last time works here too. These audiobooks can't seem to make up their mind if they are a drama or an audiobook. From the vast majority of the feedback I've received most people would like Stephen Briggs back.

And the footnote sounds are really annoying. Especially when the footnotes have footnotes. You get the sound four times. Argh!

I hoped that they would settle down but it appears that they have decided to stick to the same formula as Hogfather which is a shame. I've still got Equal Rites to listen to at some point when I can force myself to listen to it.

I know some people love the new audiobooks so you should definitely make up your own mind. For me I'll stick with the good old ones that work as proper audio books rather than this weird fusion of audiobook / play.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, I listened to all four samples. I like Andy Serkis' sample - in fact, I liked all four of them, except Bill Nighy. :( I agree, he sounds bored (and thereby makes me bored). :( It's a pity.

I agree, Stephen Briggs is very good. I especially love his Feegles. :mrgreen: But I also like Nigel Planer, especially in view of the fact of his longevity - I think he's done all the books from TCOM up to Carpe Jugulum.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Feegled from Discworld Monthly.
I know some people love the new audiobooks so you should definitely make up your own mind. For me I'll stick with the good old ones that work as proper audio books rather than this weird fusion of audiobook / play.
Totally agree, Dug. I'm very happy with my full-length Briggs and Planers are seriously doubt any one of these new interlopers will do any better. The only one I'd consider getting is the new one for Wyrd Sisters, since it will replace Celia Imrie's awful reading. But I'd want to hear a sample of the reading first. There was one sample I heard of a new recording of a woman reading one of the books (forgot which one) and I hated her rendition.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Try here at Audible, Raisindot. :) I think you can hear a sample there, too. If the sample's not enough, I think having an Audible account is free and you can listen to more. (I don't know, I don't have an account, but you can try!) :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Thanks. I listened to the 4 minutes. The main reader was leagues better than Imrie, but it didn't include her vocalizations of Granny, Nanny and Margrat, which make or break any reading. I also didn't like that they bring in someone else to do Death. If a main reader can't do Death themselves, they're not a qualified DW reader in my book.

Unfortunately, in the past I opened a whole bunch of Audible accounts under different emails addresses to take advantage of the "free trials and first downloads," so I doubt I could use this free offer unless I opened another one. Since I download audiobooks to use on my iPod in ITunes, rather than stream, it's a always a gigantic hassle dealing with Amazon/Audible's archaic download and authorization process. So unless I really want one of the new DW books, I'll probably just pass for now.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Thanks. I listened to the 4 minutes. The main reader was leagues better than Imrie, but it didn't include her vocalizations of Granny, Nanny and Margrat, which make or break any reading. I also didn't like that they bring in someone else to do Death. If a main reader can't do Death themselves, they're not a qualified DW reader in my book.

Unfortunately, in the past I opened a whole bunch of Audible accounts under different emails addresses to take advantage of the "free trials and first downloads," so I doubt I could use this free offer unless I opened another one. Since I download audiobooks to use on my iPod in ITunes, rather than stream, it's a always a gigantic hassle dealing with Amazon/Audible's archaic download and authorization process. So unless I really want one of the new DW books, I'll probably just pass for now.
raisin if you are a prime member you can get two audiobooks free.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter