The Library of the Dead by T.L. Huchu

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The Library of the Dead by T.L. Huchu (2021)
Pretty darned good. Alternate universe, magic and ghosts, but just being able to see and hear and deal with ghosts isn't considered magical, just folkloric. Ghost talking is a business--the relatives have to pay cash or the message isn't delivered. Teen protagonist is trying to pay the rent for the family but grandmother said to do one pro bono search for a worried ghost's missing brother. Dystopia, set in Scotland, where much of Edinburgh is sunk under the New Loch. The professional magicians are erratically helpful. I plan to try to find the sequel--there are some unanswered questions.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Might need to check that out. There used to be one under the castle although it was man made, in what is now Princes street garden. Aha now I remember that book I had on my Amazon list ages ago but deleted the the list in mistake and could not get it restored. Read a few a few pages then it all came back about the young girl and her granny.
1661640109417.png 1661640196175.png

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
OK ... is it in the left of the second picture? It's just hard to see. :)

Also, in your link, it says: "The gun is still fired every day at 1pm, except on Sundays, Good Friday and Christmas Day." But later, it says: "The One o'Clock Gun exhibition is currently closed."

So ... do they still fire it? ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
OK ... is it in the left of the second picture? It's just hard to see. :)

Also, in your link, it says: "The gun is still fired every day at 1pm, except on Sundays, Good Friday and Christmas Day." But later, it says: "The One o'Clock Gun exhibition is currently closed."

So ... do they still fire it? ;)
No they could not afford to pay the redundancy costs.;)
Yes!!!! bang

User Menu

Newsletter